Not eating but acting normally? Thoughts?

Spinstorm

I don’t know if anyone has any ideas here of what is going on. 

Poppy is about 18 months old now. We took her to the vet and they are going to do any urine test tomorrow morning. But looking for some ideas. 

At the end of last week on Friday she was very not energetic and didn’t eat much or drink. On Saturday she was a lot better and playing and jumping around but still wasn’t eating or drinking much. On Sunday the same and today as well. She is jumping about playing wanting to go for walks etc and doesn’t mind some treats but seems to not want to eat her normal food. 

She went to the vet tonight and they found she is very sore between her legs towards her private areas when they pressed she squealed. She was spayed about 7 months ago because the vet said she has problems with her ovaries. Unfortunately that vet is not working right now and won’t be back any time soon. 

They gave her a any-sickness injection and it seems likely that it’s down to feeling sick she isn’t eating or drinking much. But then why would she have such a sore area between her legs? But then she jumping around and playing and arriving normally (other than Friday when she looked sorry for herself). 

I don’t think she has pooped in the last few days as she hasn’t eaten anything although it’s hard to tell if she goes at night but n the garden with the rain and mud. 

Any one else has similar or any thoughts here? Thanks 

I have to say I wish the other vet was there as this vet isn’t the most helpful.

Blood test came back very good so no issues there but she has too much protein in her urine. The vet said its probably an infection of some kind but they sent the urine to a lab to see what kind. She mentioned something about pancreas infections and that they are common and said she won’t give anti-biotics until she knows what the problem is.

In terms of behaviour she is happily going for walks and fully alert but she is settling down quite happily to sleep after and she doesn’t seem to want any food again. I imagine this may be the result of the painkiller and anti-sickness medicine wearing off.

• 2 weeks later...

The blood test and urine came back fine - no issues - and she started eating and acting normally again.

I imagine it was some kind of infection which the other vet would have probably given her antibiotics for that would have made her feel better quicker.

The only mystery is the sore area between her legs on her tummy (where the man bits would be on a boy dog) we don’t know the cause of that.

I don’t know if a pulled muscle or possibly bruising from something might be the cause of that? She is always getting a bit over excited and slipping on the floors in the house (even though we put extra carpets down) or slipping outside on the slippery ground and/or grass which seems to be exceptionally slippery even to me.

19 hours ago, Spinstorm said:

The blood test and urine came back fine - no issues - and she started eating and acting normally again.

I imagine it was some kind of infection which the other vet would have probably given her antibiotics for that would have made her feel better quicker.

The only mystery is the sore area between her legs on her tummy (where the man bits would be on a boy dog) we don’t know the cause of that.

I don’t know if a pulled muscle or possibly bruising from something might be the cause of that? She is always getting a bit over excited and slipping on the floors in the house (even though we put extra carpets down) or slipping outside on the slippery ground and/or grass which seems to be exceptionally slippery even to me.

Can you add pics ? Maybe an allergy which would explain why she hasn't been feeling too well aswell 

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure what I could take pics of? She has been fine since I posted that in terms of eating. I haven’t tried pressing hard on that area as I can’t say I want to hurt her!

I do have another question. She likes to come sit on my lap if I sit on the floor cross-legged. And I have noticed that her legs seems to bother her when she gets off. I tend to think this is simply because her leg is squashed between my legs and thats all it is - pins and needles or just a bit painful because it isn’t a position that she would normally sit in.

But obviously I want to be sure she doesn’t have any issues with her legs. Flash never had anything like that happen as far as I noticed but he never sat on my lap (and would have probably squashed me if he did!).

I have seen her one time the other day have a leg spasm when she was standing up for a few seconds but again everyone gets muscle spasms but I don’t want her to have any problems!

I sound like such a worrier... any thoughts on this?

Really all you can do it take her to a vet to get it checked over.    Leg spasms could be the result of a pinch nerve in the spine  -  if so its best not to leave it longer than necessary  - she is obviously in some discomfort.

Archived