Puppy dioreah

Onceuponadime

I have a 7 month old. I have him on a kibble diet recommended for huskys. Hes had sloppy poo since I got him last week. It's been a long time since I had a pup. I do have a vet check booked. He was raw fed so he has had a food change but I would have expected his poop to firm up by now ? He loves his kibble.  He get treats which are dried meat when I'm training him.  

Change of diet   -   from really good to  .............

Any reason not to continue with a raw diet?        Dogs are not really meant to handle all the starch in kibble   -  it puts an enormous strain on their digestive systems   -   more thanlikely that's the reason for the squits.

6 minutes ago, wolfpup said:

Change of diet   -   from really good to  .............

Any reason not to continue with a raw diet?        Dogs are not really meant to handle all the starch in kibble   -  it puts an enormous strain on their digestive systems   -   more thanlikely that's the reason for the squits.

He had the squirts when I brought him home before he had been fed it is mentioned above.  I have him on a high protein good quality dried food which I feed my other dogs without any issues. Its personal choice that I do not feed raw. I would have expected his squirts to have gone by now . 

In my opinion there is no such thing as high quality kibble, some is definitely better than others but none of it is ideal. Biggest issue is protein content, owners say how much their dogs love it and will eat a lot if they could and that's down to them trying to eat enough to get the protein they need, instead they just get more fillers, the starches from sweet potato etc. if you won't feed raw try dehydrated raw, Nature's menu make one in their Country Hunter range. It's convenient to use as training snacks.

The other issue is his change in circumstance, if he's lived somewhere for 7 months and then come to you the stress is enough to affect his bowel. How long that will last will be down to how long it takes him to settle to a new environment, a new human, his new diet etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses. I have been to the vet about the dioreah. My puppy has Giardia which is what is causing the dioreah.  I've now got treatment and medication from the vet to treat the Giardia.  I'm not getting into a raw versus dried debate everyone has their own preferences including my dogs. They are good quality dry foods out there that are holistic and grain free , potato free etc if people do the research. As for the dioreah  Giardia is common in puppies and it was like brown water before I had even fed him at all. 

Well at least you have an answer...and I agree there are good holistic foods out there if have fed mine all there life on them and raw is not for me either...

1 minute ago, robke said:

Well at least you have an answer...and I agree there are good holistic foods out there if have fed mine all there life on them and raw is not for me either...

Giardia is quite common so at least I have the answer and the solution.  He should be ok in a few days. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 4:48 PM, Onceuponadime said:

Giardia is quite common so at least I have the answer and the solution.  He should be ok in a few days. Thanks

Oh, poor pup! I can so relate to this, having had Giardia myself (brought back the delightful hitchhikers from a trek in Nepal). Hopefully, he's over it and not passed it on to other 4 legged or 2 legged

Archived