Please help...Husky's coat different from last year?!?

dinfe22

Hey, whats up guys!

I had a question about my dogs coat compared to now versus last year. Around these months last year my husky had a very nice and thick coat, but this year it looks like there is no undercoat at all.
He was born at the end of July of 2018..so at around 9 months his coat was nice and full. He is about 19 months now and as you can see his undercoat isn't like last years.

He is healthy and very energetic and his weight is the same, since he was 9 months old.
......The only difference is, I was feeding him Taste of The wild last year and now I feed him Acana, but I don't think that's the reason?!

Any help is appreciated.Thanks!
Both pics are taken in this month of April and last years.

Today
i9lIKOV.jpg

Last year April
rHNq8U4.jpg

I saw a huge difference in mines coat between their first spring and this spring. I think it’s normal. I chalked up the first season as them having puppy fur. Then they went through their first shed and lost all of it and now have their adult hair for both under and guard hairs. 

However, diet can change their coat too.

11 hours ago, 2Huskyfun said:

I saw a huge difference in mines coat between their first spring and this spring. I think it’s normal. I chalked up the first season as them having puppy fur. Then they went through their first shed and lost all of it and now have their adult hair for both under and guard hairs. 

However, diet can change their coat too.

Got it, thanks!

quick question, around when will he grow his undercoat again? Or will he stay looking like this until next winter?

2 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

What are u using to brush him ? 

I use a rake and a slicker brush and avoid furminator type brushes as I'm afraid it'll cut his guard hairs.

....Why do you ask?

3 hours ago, dinfe22 said:

Got it, thanks!

quick question, around when will he grow his undercoat again? Or will he stay looking like this until next winter?

I use a rake and a slicker brush and avoid furminator type brushes as I'm afraid it'll cut his guard hairs.

....Why do you ask?

Was just checking you weren't using  a brush that could damage his coat 

Huskies are great at acclimatization. Every coat my Husky had was slightly different from the previous, and she's going to be 4 yrs. Especially the baby fur is different, like you noticed.

Contrary to popular misconception, they don't just shed in regular intervals. It all depends on the weather, but most people are chained to the radiator in the same location most of the time (with their huskies).

My Husky will shed and adjust within 10 days of moving. When I visited my friend in Mississippi for 6 weeks last February, the temperature differential (from Montana) was brutal.

We went from -30 F to +60 F. Almost a 100 'F. Plus, really disgusting humidity (you gotta experience it to actually believe it - it was my first, and hopefully last!), being just half an hour from the coast. She started shedding within few days.

After two months, when we came back, she shed again. Less intensively, but shed none the less. The difference was about 70F vs 30F.

Last Winter, October 02, when the first blizzard hit, and covered the ground with 6+ month snow cover, she shed within few days.

Since North Dakota is much colder than Montana, her protective fur on her paws got really super long this winter (it still is). It wasn't even a slow gradual process. Once it hit -40 C, within few days, her bottom paws were engulfed with the crazy long fur.

So, if your place gets exposed to an extreme temperature drop, the coat change will follow quickly.

Archived