please help in crate training

Hi I need some advice ASAP i got my new pup yesterday and the first nite he slept in a dog bed at bottom of our bed. I went out today to buy a crate so has hes not up to anything when im asleep. Loki is 7 an half weeks old for the past hour he has been in his crate for the first time and he has been crying howling and well goin mad to get out.

I thought i would come online to see if anyone can help I hate to hear him like this although i want to put him in his crate overnight or when we go out. But at 2am in the morning i have my neighbours and my kids in bed sleeping.

PLEASE HELP ASAP he is now at my feet sleeping

Do you have any toys or chewy toys in the kennel with him? It may take some time for him to acclimate his kennel with sleepy time. I know alot of people suggest tossing treats or toys in there to show him it's a fun place to be and another thing, this works wonders with Kiana, is to put a blanket of it so it's like a little den. I know when Kiana has to potty though she will cry and scratch to get out and sort of panic that's when I know she has to potty. Puppies that age can only hold it for a few hours. I also moderate her food so she doesn't eat or drink an hour before bed time then I make sure she potties (usually both one and two) before kenneling her up and of course make sure her nyla bone and piggy are in there with her. I hope this helps you a bit and I'm sure other more experienced owners will pipe in with great suggestions ^_^

It will take time though patience is most deffinately the key and routine.

Oh a couple other things I forgot I got Kiana a freeze toy since she's teething and it keeps her busy for a couple hours. Alot of people also recommend a kong since you can fill it with treats and that usually keeps them busy for a while. LOL just a couple things to throw out there my Kiana is 11wks so I know how it goes lol.

she is still getting used to the crate, this is going to take time, for some it takes a day, some a week, others never get used to it, you have to see how it goes and take it as it comes.

!st step is to make the crate seem like a great place to be, and make her want to go in there. Theres a few things you can do to achieve this...

- Feed all her meals in there (start with the door open, then once she's comfortable with that close it)

- Place her water in there (at her young age water should never be restricted, you need to have a constant eye on her instead)

- Put all her toys in there so she has to go in to get one

- Throw some tasty treats in there and see if she'll run in the crate (i still do this with Kira when i want her in there)

- Have a nice comfy bed

- Put a shirt from each family member in there (which has been worn so it has your scent)

- Cover the crate with blankets/sheets so it is dark inside, making it more den like

once you've got her going in there on her own start shutting the door behind her, she wont like it and she will cry, its best to do this during the day so she doesnt wake anyone up.

Make sure she has been to the toilet before you put her in...

put her in there when you need to hoover or something and stay in the same room, but keep busy so you dont pay any attention to her. Being able to see you acting normally will make her less stressed out.

If she starts to cry or whine ignore her, this is vital, any attention, even negative attention, shows the pup that crying gets her attention, so now talking and no eye contact. And never let her out if she's crying. If she's crying relentlessly try to catch a break in the crying, even if its just a few seconds, this is the time to let her out (so you have to be quick!)

Thanks guys for your help. I ended up taking him out coz he was shaking so i gave him some cuddles and talking to him. I put him back in crate he lay down but when i moved to go upstairs to get my pillows he started again so i ended up sleeping on the couch with Loki in crate in front of me where he could see me. I dont know what im going to do tonight. I just dont like to hear him its heartbreaking.

Thanks for your help i will take this onboard and try them with Lokirolleyes.gif

Annie, you are doing everything right, and we know it is heart-breaking to hear them, but it's only while they are getting used to it, it can be very daunting at 7.5 weeks to suddenly be in this huge metal box!

How big is the crate? Maybe you could half the size for now to make it feel safer for him. But definitely feed him in there, keep encouraging & praising him when he goes in so he associates it with being a good place for him, toys & clothes, etc, all great advice already given. It is trial & error, but I'm sure he'll soon pick it up. The key seems to be doing it in short stages, leave the door open & encourage him in. Then after a while, when you think he's happy with going in & showing no concern, try closing the door over (not locking it) & leave that closed over longer each time, building it up. When he stops crying, praise him & let him out, he'll learn that crying gets him nowhere but being quiet is good & gets a reward! Then move on to locking the door for a few moments while in the room, when he's quiet, let him out, keep doing this leaving him in longer each time. Then try locking him in & leaving the room for a few minutes, come back & when he's quiet, let him out with loads of praise!

It's a case of starting as you mean to go on & don't give in to those pleading eyes & crying! :D

Good luck with him, xx

Hey,

I know how exactly what your going through, we just got through all of this with our 13 week old Saber.

Here's what worked for us, because he was doing the exact same thing, he was howling and going mad every time he was in his crate:

- During the day get him use to the crate by luring him with treats and assoiate a word with the crate like "BED". Say Bed and place a treat in the crate, when he goes in there and eats it praise him and give him another treat. Then allow him to come in and out a few times then eventually close the door and treat him for being quiet with the crate door closed. Do this a bunch of times throughout the day.

- When you find him asleep anywhere around the house, pick him up and place him in the crate, if he wakes up, sit by the crate till he falls asleep. (Try to do it with the door closed, if not leave it open and close it when he falls asleep again). He will want to pee and etc as soon as he wakes up, this is why he will howl and cry. Try to only go to him when he is quiet for about 20 seconds. If he never goes quiete then just go to him and make him sit and be quiet for a few seconds before opening the door to let him out.

- During the day, if you can keep an eye on him. Leave the crate door open.

- Sleep in front of the crate for 2/3 nights (This works wonders) - After you have done this, Place a t shirt that you have been wearing in his crate

- Put a blanket over the top of the crate , so it creates a dark den for him, but don't let the towel drape over the door. I believe huskies still like to see what's going on around them.

- Feed meals in the crate. (Get him to go sit in his crate and when he has done so place his food in front of the door and allow him to eat). Also make sure his last meal is 3/4 hours before bedtime

- Before you put him in the crate for the night, allow him to go outside and empty out his tank and also tire him out with 20 mins or so of playing.

- If he wakes up during the night, let him outside to do his business then bring him back into the crate. If he doesn't settle down hold him for a few mins while he falls asleep and then place him back inside. (But if you do choose to sleep in front of his cage, just put him inside and stroke him with your fingers while laying in your bed, he will eventually settle down and go to sleep)

- Also if you've placed him in his crate and at any time you catch him awake and sitting in there quietly, grab a treat and praise him.

This is exactly what we did when we were having the same problem as you about 3/4 weeks ago. Do this and i promise you it will solve it. Our Saber now will gladly settle down in his crate for the night (Gets up and howls when he needs to pee or if someone wakes him up). We put him to sleep around 11/12 and he'll wake up around 4:30/5am in time for his first meal. We also now allow him to sleep in his basket in the living room during the day, but at night it's he has to be in the crate.

EXTRA TIP: If you can place the crate in the living room, where everyone is during the day and etc, i'm sure it will work wonders. However we chose to have his crate in the hall way, just outside the door to the living room because we always have lots of guests and etc visiting.

Hope this helps,

feel free to message me if you need any further help

Great advice guys, added to reps :up:

Paws crossed, keep us posted - it's not easy my god when we got Kimba first, he screamed the place down and i thought it'd never end but rest assured it does, patience and consistency is key xx

Last night wasnt too bad we went to bed at 12.30 me on couch and partner upstairs. Loki slept until 3am then he started crying and howling so i let him out incase he needed toilet, but no he had a sniff around wanted on couch with me, wanted to play so when he went to sleep on floor i picked him up and put him back in crate. That was him until 7am this morning so fingers crossed we are getting there. Im not sure what to do tonite whether to go upstairs and leave him in living room him self. Not sure if he will take to this been alone if im not on couch.cool.gif

i think its prob best to leave him on his own as if he gets used to you being there it will only take long for the pup to learn. once the pups learns you are not abandoning it and that youu do return every morning the pup will settle down quick its a horrible prosses that all pups have to go through they are used to being in a pack with there bros n sis's and now there on there own just takes time for them to learn that you will return and your not abandoning her :)

Hi hun

we had all this with Shiloh lol it does get better- i know it feels like its never ending at the mo but it does :)

he is behaving like this as he isnt used to being in there.....this is what we did with Shiloh :-

• we decided that we would use "go to bed" as the command to go into the crate......we got a treat that he liked..said the command then tossed the treat into the crate so he would follow it in...we then shut the door but didnt lock it....once he was in there he immediately got loads of praise...he was then let out again....we repeated this several times over the next few hours
  • the next step we did was to say the command and picked Shiloh up and carried him into the crate and shut the door..gave him the treat straight away and talked cheerfully to him.....if he began to cry or paw at the door we completely ignored him unitl he was calm...we was told if we made a fuss then it was showing we was rewarding the behaviour which is what we didnt want...once he was calm we let him out again
  • the next step was to get Shiloh to go in on his own...we said the command and pointed towards the crate with a treat in our hand...after a few attempts he did eventually follow my hand inside the crate....we repeated this over a few hours..sometimes we had a treat and sometimes we didnt...he picked it up fairly quickly and by a day or two he was going into the crate on command

i also found that putting in an old t shirt with my scent on really helped...i would suggest you leave him in his crate downstairs at night...he will howl like crazy as this is exactly what Shiloh did but as soon as he got an old t shirt of mine he was fine...they jst dont like being on their own but the sooner he learns that at night time thats what happens the better it will be for you all....if you get into the habit of sleeping downstairs with him he'll think its the norm......( we slept downstairs with Shiloh for 2 nights then decided he had to learn that he has to be in his crate at night on his own)

i know its hard to leave him howling but i promise you it does get better hun :)