Training help please!

Hello everyone! My name is Sapphire and I am from Texas. I have two beautiful husky puppies. I first had the one male, Zakai. About 16 weeks after I had Zakai I thought that he needed a playmate so he wont be so lonely when I'm away at school. So I brought home a 10 week female husky puppy named Periwinkle. Zakai loves to play with Periwinkle. But the problem is that whenever I try to play with him, he does not want to play with me! He would rather play with Periwinkle. After I exercise Zakai and Periwinkle I separate them so I can work with them individually to train. I try to train Zakai using toys and playtime to create a better bond with him but he just wants to leave whichever room we're in so he can play with Periwinkle. He will not even look at me no matter how many times I call his attention. He will just stay looking at the door. And I try to be as exciting and interesting as I possibly can, goofing around, making funny noises, but nothing works. So then I try to train him with treats and the same thing. He does not listen to me. I have tried separating them 3 times a day so I can train them. I taught him all the basics. I just want to teach him a lot more new things. Periwinkle is such a good girl. She listens and she's focused. I have no problem with her. It's Zakai that won't give me the time of day. So, fellow husky owners, I reach out desperately, please help me and tell me what I must do.

First of all, welcome to husky owners :)

Reality is, every dog will be different. We have 3, and have had similar kinds of issues in the past. Depending on what you are trying to teach, separating them to do so may not always be the best thing. Simply as you want them to learn whilst around the others, and not to only listen when there are not others around. I gotta say though, she is 10 week old. She is gonna play, and going to want to continue to play. Huskies will be like that in general, and it can indeed be a PITA when training and you have more than one. The only advise I can really give is to just persist with it. You will get there, it will just likely take more time as you have 2.

Examples with ours who are now older

Kimba - He will do things on command, as and when he feels like it. He can go from super obedient to completely deaf in under 10 seconds flat, depending on his mood. He is 10 yrs o;d now and things he is 10 weeks old.

Kaiser - He is obedient always. We let ours on the settee, and to give you an example, I can ask him to move to the other side of the settee to I can sit down, and he will. I don't even need to make a sound most of the time. I just walk in and point at the other side, and he moves.

Koda - He is quite well trained, but will do things when he wants to. Its almost impossible to train him with food. He is just a PITA with it. He will steal treats from the others. He lets himself out of his crate, and we had to get a CCTV camera to even figure out how he was doing it (the crate was still locked after he left it, which is where the confusion was from).

So you can see just from that, they are all different. Huskies tend to be very personality based, and very intelligent. They will learn, but when they don't want to do something, they won't. Hence why they shouldn't be offlead for example.

You will have twice the work with 2 young puppies , whilst separating them to work with them is great as it teaches them to not be so dependent on each other, especially if one needs to stay at the vets or can't be walked for a health reason and one still needs to go out it's great that they can cope without each other however like Marc said sometimes working together is the best way to go as they also learn to listen with distractions , are you separating them before they've had a play ? Try letting them burn out that energy first and then work one on one as they won't have all that hyper energy and will be more focused

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Hi, I brought Cai home when he was 8 weeks old and 9 weeks laterI brought Luka blue home, also 8 weeks old. I found establishing a routine for feeding, training, playing and walking right from the beginning was essential, in time they know what to expect and when. With yours being young playing with each other is all important to them at the moment, they also learn a lot through play. I would train together for a while, you may find Zakai easier to train if Periwinkle is there also, as he starts to listen to you and you’ve bonded more that’s when I’d train him separately. I did this with my 2 and it helped when they were younger, Cai is 2 and a half and Luka blue is nearly that. As already mentioned if a husky doesn’t want to do something no amount of persuasion will work. Consistency is key with training, lots of praise when they get even the smallest things right, stay positive and you’ll see the difference as they mature. Good luck [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Archived