Angel

wolfpup

Along with Marley & Lunar we have two 13 yr old cats, litter mates, Socks - a black & white large male and Angel a very petite all black female.   When Lunar was a puppy I took him on one of his many many vet visits  -  and came back with a dog and these two cats who had been dumped at the vets.

Angel has always loved her food and consequently got to be quite portly  (barrel like is more accurate)  -  but in the last two months has lost well over half her body weight so yesterday I took her to be checked over.    The vet told me what I already knew in my heart.

He found a mass buried deep in her abdomen about the size of a squashed tennis ball, and has put her on prednisolone (steroid) for pain and to try to slow its progression slightly and Gabapentin for pain.    He has said she could have as long as a month  -  but if the mass has already gone into her intestines then she has about a week to live  -  and I would know in a few days which one it is.

About 12 months ago she decided the only place she would sleep at night is on my pillow  -  when I go to bed she would jump up and settle down on or next to my pillow and purr like a train in my ear for hours and hours keeping me awake.   It used to really annoy me........................ then I got used to it  and used to wait for her to join me.

Last night she did not come on my pillow but stayed under the bed  -  where she still is,  she was laying down looking at me, but would not come over to me and I cannot reach her.    I need to give her her pain meds.    I tossed and turned last night wrestling with my conscience, torn between my heart and my head  -  my head won - and I am devastated by what I am about to do.   I cannot subject her to any more pain and as soon as I stop crying I am going to make another appointment with the vet.

How will I sleep now when the purring stops.

So sorry to hear this.
One of the hardest decisions that we ever have to make, even when we know it’s the right thing to do.
Sending lots of hugs your way. Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

So sorry, its a heartbreaking decision to make but she will be pain free and will live forever in your heart with many happy memories
My thoughts are with you x

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Well, I took her to the vets  ............................. and brought her home again!

He said not to give up on her until she stops eating - that is when to bring her in.

He also mentioned something for me to try on my own - a herbal preparation for cancer in pets.

https://www.petwellbeing.co.uk/products/cat-cancer

I read through the posts people had written - and it certainly appears to give them a boost - so I've ordered some - it will arrive day after tomorrow.

Some people have kept their dog or cat alive for over a year past the date they should have lost them .................. whilst I am not expecting anything like that if she can have increased appetite, and vigour, interest in life ect then I must try it for my own peace of mind.

For those of you with an interest in herbal stuff - here are the ingredients:

Chaga (Inonotus obliquus): Considered a type of mushroom that grows mainly on birch tress, this fungus is known for its naturally occurring antioxidant content. It contains polysaccharides that are used for maintaining a healthy immune system.

Blessed Thistle herb (Cnicus benedictus): A long-used traditional plant, this restorative herb has been used for its detoxifying and cleansing properties, as well as for its antioxidant components and cell regeneration.
Burdock root (Arctium lappa): Burdock has been used for providing help to the liver (bile secretions), to support a healthy appetite, and for the maintenance of healthy cells in the presence of chemicals.

Red Clover flowering herb (Trifolium pratense): One of this flower's actions has traditionally been called "alterative", meaning that it possesses a gentle action to "purify the blood" of toxins. It contains small amounts of important vitamins and minerals that provide easily absorbed nutritive value. It can also stimulate the appetite.

Sheep Sorrel herb (Rumex acetosella): High in Vitamin C and minerals, this herb has been widely used for lymphatic health, for health of the digestive tract, and as a detoxifier.

Slippery Elm Bark (Ulmus rubra): High is mucilage, this slightly sweet tasting bark has been used for centuries in North America for soothing the digestive tract and absorbing toxins. It is highly nutritious with lots of antioxidants.

Turkey Rhubarb root (Rheum palmatum): Used effectively to normalize bowel movements, this plant (also known as Chinese Rhubarb) is not to be confused with the garden variety. It enhances this cleansing formula by gently helping the body to excrete accumulated waste material through the bowels.

If it does not work - I know I've done everything.

The mixture of gabapentin and the prednisolone seems to be working a treat with any pain -  she is showing none.   She even came on my pillow again last night  -  and that was after two hours downstairs with me during the evening (being cuddled)  - before going on Marley's bed for an hour, using it as a scratching pad before settling down to sleep  ........... he laid on the hardwood floor in front of her all night - didn't try once to get her off (as he usually did).

The new stuff arrives tomorrow  -  at least I can put that in her food  -  My hands and arms are suffering quite badly with trying to give her two tablets a day  (ever read the "how to give your cat a pill)

Not been around for a few days - well not since the original post really - been spending my time researching, - networking (for the first time in my life) on facebook - one closed group giving me links to another closed group - having to be checked out by them, - then getting another link to another closed group etc.

At the end of this I have gotten information I didn't know existed - I now have Angel on:

cbd oil
Gold for Life
Black salve capsules (half a capsule daily) - the photographic evidence from so many animals on this facebook group is truly amazing - showing the tumours shrinking and disappearing - cats and dogs. nose cancers, anal cancers, - pets given less than a week to live are still around 9 months later.

The black salve is again a herbal preparation - https://lozzswellnessstore.co.uk/sho...apsules-400mg/

containing herbs I know to have anti cancer properties. I learned about this from an American group who gave me the recipe for making it myself - but most of the ingredients are not available here (although I have some that are supposed to be banned here - not all) - then someone in the UK told me about Lozz's site so I ordered them on Friday. 

Whilst so far she has not eaten today, she is obviously not in any pain, continuing with her normal routines, her fur is improving (had gone 'greasy') and her eyes are looking brighter. Also she had had the runs for nearly a week - which has stopped and is back to normal.

Whilst I am not expecting a miracle cure - I am getting what I did want - a quality of whatever life she has left.

Thanks for your support guys

UPDATE:  hubby shouted down he had Angel, so I ran up to get her tablets down her neck  -  which she took (relatively) ok this time - at least she didn't spit them out - and afterwards jumped down and went straight to her feed bowl  -  and is currently demolishing some sardines and a pouch of Purina One (her current favourite)

Aww, I'm so happy ANGEL is eating!![emoji847][emoji295]️
I'm praying the cod oil & black salve are working. Keep staying positive!![emoji4] ANGEL is so lucky to have you and knows how much you love & care about her!! Sending prayers to ANGEL & you.
[emoji8][emoji120][emoji252][emoji295]️[emoji259]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

• 5 weeks later...

Angel started a new routine about five weeks ago – neither cat had been outside for over 2.5 years – but she wanted to go out, so hubby & I partitioned off a roughly 11ft x 12ft section immediately off our lounge door leading into the garden, put a garden chair there for her, and blocked off access to the lounge door (for the dogs – the cats could get through but not the dogs).

She started coming down around 4pm, going to sit outside in the sunshine, coming in for a cuddle for an hour or so, then going back outside and watching the sun go down (garden is west facing), and staying outside until I fetched her in around 10pm. The barrier was an 11ft x 6ft temporary builder’s panel - so she could see the whole garden, but when the dogs were in the garden they could not get to her. I am sure she would have stayed outside all night if I had let her, and I was tempted - but could not trust the dogs not to get through during the night. I must say though that they have been extremely good with her – even the husky, very gentle, Marley even letting her sleep on his raised bed, he would go over, sniff her gently then lay down on the floor beside her until she decided she wanted to go outside again.

Last night as always when I went to bed she came up and lay next to my pillow and purred me to sleep, and was always there when I woke up, but not this morning. She was under the bed. 

When we went to give her her morning medication she did not fight or scratch as usual (I had a least one puncture every morning from either a tooth or claw) - she just sat and looked at me. I unwrapped her from the towel and she just laid on the bed - not trying to escape as usual.

She told me it was time for me to let her go. 

I rang the vet immediately – it was 9am - was there at 9.20, she was loosely wrapped in my best hand crocheted shawl (took me over 6 months to make) and nestled comfortably in the dog’s treat box (around 2ft 6 x 2ft).
She watched me from the passenger seat all the way to the vet, the receptionist immediately took me in to the theatre recovery room, and a vet came out of theatre to see her straight away. I left the vet at 9.30am.

I do not regret for one second not going through with it five weeks ago – she loved being outside and watching the sun going down, and was always purring when I went outside to sit with her for a bit. 

She somehow knew she was ‘protected’ from the dogs and their usual playfulness – they knew it was more than their life was worth to pester her in any way - and she seemed to take a perverse delight in laying down within a couple of feet of them both in the lounge, where the sunshine came in and it was warm.

Sometimes she would come down in the morning and sit by the lounge door – so we let her out, but she seemed to prefer it later in the day most of the time. 

Last night when I went to bring her in I realized it was drizzling slightly but she stayed out there rather than coming in – I think she knew it was her last sunset in retrospect.

Goodbye baby cat - you were much loved.

Archived