Is this common and are you guys familiar with this training style?

Hey guys,

So cosmo is now 2 months and a half and started eating my furniture, I know it’s because he’s teething but my mom wasn’t happy about the matter.

i decided to call in a trainer for basic stuff like biting inhabition and things like that.

when the trainer arrived at my house cosmo got scared and quickly hit in the corner of the sectional. Before he started the training, the guy told me he was going to see what kind of dog I had. 

(Quick backstory: cosmo doesn’t rly like being touched, since he was 6 weeks he’d cry when people pet him. I figured this was bc he didn’t have all his shots and still wasn’t able to socialize enough with other dogs or other people. However I have a couple of neighbors and bc he now knows them, he’s happy to see them and greets them when they go by) 

Fast forward to today, he’s getting his last shot on his third month bday the 15th of June and will be able to go out. This is some sort of precaution we must follow bc here in Colombia we have too many strays and a lot of contamination in green areas, so it’s for the safety of the pup) 

He grabbed him by the leash and cosmo started crying, he go touch him and he’s Yelp even before he was touched. So then the trainer said I have a submissive and very insecure dog 😕. He said a dominant dog would usually greet people wagging his tail and wouldn’t be skeptical to letting people touch him. Said he got these results from Campbell’s test, I since then read into that and it seems like he didn’t do everything right. It shouldn’t have been done at my house, and I shouldn’t have been there while he did it. Idk if that’s either here or there..but it’s just what I picked up when I read about it.

So he told me that with behavior problems such as these, basic training such as sit, stay, or roll over wouldn’t be useful if he had this attitude. Continued to do some other exercises and told me he was communicating in dog language. (This guy is an ethologist as well). Which included pulling him by the leash to the point of almost choking him, picking him up by the excess of his fur behind his neck and paced around holding him like that. Claimed he was in a fight with cosmo regarding dominance and he needed cosmo to become fully submissive to do anything else with him. 

As he continued doing different things, one of them was touching him everywhere...to reveal his sensitive parts. Such as hind legs, and tummy. He’d attack him when he’s touch, but after him doing it a while, he’d stop and eventually allow him to touch him there freely. By the end of the “training” he’d drop food on the floor and cosmo wouldn’t go for it until he gave it to him. So I could see a total change in his behavior towards the trainer. 

Bascially guys  just wanted to know if any of you had a husky with these kind of behavior at this age and if it grew out of it with more socialization and exposure to other dogs and people, and if you’re familiar with this kind of training style. 

Thanks a lot! 

ACD27EA4-F796-403E-A492-53BC16870F46.jpeg

Hi, this sounds like an awful trainer don’t use him again. The whole dominance thing is a load of rubbish, if Cosmo is already terrified then I don’t know why he was trying to make him more submissive. The fact he was carrying Cosmo around by the scruff of his neck is also really concerning, he’s probably made things worse!

Was Cosmo bought from a breeder or was he a stray? Did he stay with his mum until he was at least 8 weeks old? He shouldn’t be as scared as he is

Once you can take him out he will need a lot of work to show him the world isn’t a scary place, let him meet lots of people and lots of other dogs, get him used to traffic passing etc. Fear can turn into aggression so try and build up his confidence as soon as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

My female was and kinda still is the same way. 

Runs and greets everyone; ears back, tail relaxed wagging, whines a little, and looks to be smiling. But once the person pets her she turns and walks away. 

Could care less about being touched or rewarded with human play time. 

It's just her... If her body language tells me she is not in the mood, I don't allow people to touch her and I don't force her. I will stay close to her so I am still in her space which she doesn't mind anymore but I don't push it.

I feel that she respects me for that and she is now coming to me for attention.

As far as chewing. I think it is normal and research ways to train and keep your pup busy.

The trainer thing. I strongly believe you work with your animals strengths and it is not about breaking their will. 

I would not have let that guy within 10 feet of my puppy.    Please do not subject him to that again.     Huskies are more companion animals working in a co-operative than dogs to be dominated (I have never met a dog that needed to be dominated).    He needs to know at this stage that you will protect him, show him what things are dangerous and to be avoided, and what things are ok to investigate.  He needs his confidence building - not breaking down until he is terrified into submission.

Sorry, don't mean to sound as if this is your fault  -  it the guy you put your trust into.

Patience, love, and more patience.

😭 I feel horrible for standing by and allowing that. At one point I told him “please stop you’re hurting him” and he just responded with “just let me do my job I know what I’m doing”.

Im going to do what i was going to do in thbe first place, I’m going to take him out and let people pet him so he gets use to it. I think it’s normal and at no point do i believe i have a so called “monster” at home. I mean it’s normal he was apprehensive about him entering our home, I’m sure his energy wasn’t cosmos cup of tea. And I prefer a dog that’s apprehensive to strangers, than a dog completely submissive to anyone.

Now that you guys mention it, he wasn’t with his mom for long l, I bought him from a breeder and he was 6 weeks when I got him. So I’m sure he missed out on a lot of conditioning from his parents. 

Definitely not allowing him anywhere near my dog again. Plus guys...idk if it’s normal, but it’s realky worrying me. Before cosmo was a giant fluff ball, today he looks like ...sunken in at the waist. Could it be cuz he shed so much yesterday from how scared he was?? 

Be very cautious! If he is timid with people petting him and you  overwhelm him/force him to be petted.... it could back fire and cause aggression.

Work at your Sibe's pace. Don't force anything. He needs your love and feel that you are there for him. 

By forcing him to be petted before he is ready for that will not show him you have his best welfare in mind.

Take small steps, move at his pace, don't force things on him, and show all love.

A good behaviourist I use told me if a dog is fearful of something, show him 100 experiences of whatever it is he is fearful of. He’s currently working with a young pup that was taken to the rescue who was scared of everything, he takes her out every day to meet as many people and dogs as possible, she’s been in water loads of times, it’s really paying off and her confidence is growing

Huskies do go through a bit of a lanky stage so that might have just started

I just can’t believe you took a pup away from it’s mother and siblings at 6 weeks old and are surprised he has issues! It seems to be that because husky puppies are big they are considered ready to leave their family group so young when in reality they shouldn’t leave until they’re 10 weeks at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cosmo is a beauty [emoji1]
Research has shown that pups taken before at least 8 weeks of age may suffer with behavioural issues as they miss out on learning important social skills from siblings and mum, just to make you aware. I would stay well away from that trainer, the idea of being 'dominant' over your dog is now an outdated way of training, a behaviourist is a better option, if you can, google Victoria Stillwell, you might get some videos of her on YouTube, she knows how to solve dog issues. Some dogs don't like to be petted by strangers, some do, but I'd build his confidence up first and as your relationship grows, the trust between you will grow and you'll find he'll work with you. Lots of praise, even for the smallest of things, lots of patience and more patience. Good luck [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

I am Marley's 4th owner  -  it turns out he was taken from his mum too soon  (around 6 weeks).   One of the main things they learn from their mothers/siblings around 5-8 weeks is how to temper their bite.   This was one of Marley's problems  - every time he would bite (no matter how softly) I would yelp loudly and move away from him - stopping any play session - or whatever caused him to bite.

I agree with 2huskyfun  -  when you take him out to socialize him - stop and talk to people but do not allow them to pet him, pick him up (but only if he is happy for you to do so) so he can see them on a par with their height, not towering above him - explain his problem - that he is scared and you need to teach him that people are not to be scared of.   Watch is body language - wait for him to make the first move towards them  (i.e. pushing his head towards them, sniffing them, etc,  are his ears erect and forward or are they turned back and flatter).  As his confidence grows then you can progress.    Let him become confident with a few people at first, then slowly widen his experiences.   Remember that first he has to learn to trust you totally  before he can learn to trust anyone else.

You are all he has to protect him and teach him and nurture him  -  he is totally dependent on you now.    Take it slowly, forget what you originally wanted from a puppy, - find out what he needs and give it to him  -  as said before  patience and love  -  lots of both.

Please keep us posted on his progress.

Ok guys so cosmo has been snapping at me here and there, I do have some scars on my arms due to his biting. Most of the time he’s playing but he does snap and hard. I feel like some of the things this guy said were true, such as : he is dominating me bc he feels that he can. That i have “low” energy, w.e this means, and due to that he doesn’t respect me as the alpha. I’ve read a lot regarding huskies and alphas, and I mean...I guess I try to be, but I don’t hace that kind of strong personality. That day he brought a Golden with him and he humped me, he said that he’s never done that and my energy has to be very very low for him to have mounted me like that.

So i guess my question is...will cosmo ever respect me? I mean do you have to have a certain type of personal y in order to own a husky? I mean, I know he loves me, and he sees me as his protector cause when he’s scared he runs in between my legs. But love and respect are two different things...

sigh. I’ve been really down about this, he asked me multiple times “you sure u want to keep this dog? You sure ure going to be able to handle this dog? Sorry to tell you but if he doesn’t respect you now, it’s hard for him to ever do so”

so he got me really down thinking I’m too much of a softy to own a husky, or perhaps cosmo does have some aggression issues.

8E327D83-0E66-47D7-9C3D-B2F4C426C5A9.jpeg

The reason for this is probably because he was taken from his mum and litter mates too early! They are still learning how to behave at 6 weeks. It’s got nothing to do with being dominant, he’s got to learn from you what the boundaries are

The play biting is normal.

The snipping at his age is normal!

I got my two at 7 weeks. Yes this is the time that the pups should be getting corrected by their mother. But, you are now his mother. He is doing nothing with you that he wouldn't be doing normally. 

You have to be the one to guide him on the correct behavior.

*my two were like  Puranas! Could not touch them without looking like I stuck my hands in a blinder. Plus my daughter and I have bold spots that are just growing back. LOL*

Get that trainer out of your head. 

Your pup is not even old enough to have male hormones to make him want to challenge you. 

The pup is fine. You are fine. You know your pup. You know what makes him happy and what doesn't.

When he nips just say No and get up and ignore him for a few. Until he calms down. 

When he chews on something, tell him to leave it and give him a safe toy to chew on. Mine love ice cubes. He is teething and it is going to be awhile before he gets through this stage.

He is young and has no attention span... however, start slow with basic fun tricks that you can teach him. Sit, down, paw, little things. Remember he is young and it may take time but this will keep his mind busy. 

You got this!

I don’t think that trainer is doing you any favours! A behaviourist is a better option, IMO the ‘alpha’ thing is outdated, husky’s work with you rather than to be dominated. The trainers questions about whether you want to keep Cosmo is undermining your confidence, his biting is normal, watch how pups play together, it’s your job now to train him. As for the respect issue, its more of a developing trust that grows between you as your relationship grows. Cosmo is a baby at the moment, he’s learning to play fight, biting anything his teeth come into contact with, this is normal for pups. I used to have toys to hand so if my 2 tried to bite my arms I would give them a chew toy, try giving him a treat ball. I also think it’s beneficial to have a set routine, I would walk mine first thing then they’d nap as pups, food after a nap, then I’d train them with rewards and lots of praise then we’d play. I still keep to a routine and they know when it’s food time and play time. Training is time consuming and can be frustrating but ultimately it’s rewarding when your hard work pays off. Don’t give up on him, you can do it!

Dont worry man !! you dont need a trainer i had the same problem my pup is now 4 months old he still snaps at me sometimes but not as much as he did when he was 2 !! keep telling him no and give him toys when he start biting !! and make sure to let him know what NO means !! he will grow out of it dont worry huskies are great dogs you will enjoy every moment with him

Archived