Huskies are the really that bad?

Thane

So, Recently I lost my lovable Black Lab, and the house seems a bit quiet and frankly it is driving me a bit nuts.

I have been looking into many different breed of dogs since the loss and Siberian Husky is on of the ones that Really jumped out at me.

As a former dog walker I know how important walking and training are (I have had up to 10 dogs in my house at a time) and I know that with any dog breed training starts day one when they get home, and ends in about 12-13 years.

So I know I can handle a Huskies testy behaviour with training and walks. Also getting a husky from a reputable breeder I should also be able to find a lower energy dog.

Anyway on to my questions.

1. Everyone here seems to have a lot of stories about how their husky got into their fridge/ out of the yard/ killed a smaller animal etc.. etc.. These are all unacceptable behaviours from a dog and every one here has some story about that. Everyone seems to take the mischievous behaviour as a matter of course. Is this to be expected from all Huskies?

2. Training can some / all of the the behaviour issues be trained out of them?

3. Off leash? I know that Huskies love to run and run... is it possible once you have trained a bomb proof recall into your dog and or trained him to never leave your side, to walk a Husky off leash, now i am not saying down a street but in a park, or something? I ask because I like to go camping and often hike for 2 days before getting to a suitable place to spend a few days. I don't know if I could walk that distance and have a leash in my hand as often I need my hands free for balance.

1. Everyone here seems to have a lot of stories about how their husky got into their fridge/ out of the yard/ killed a smaller animal etc.. etc.. These are all unacceptable behaviours from a dog and every one here has some story about that. Everyone seems to take the mischievous behaviour as a matter of course. Is this to be expected from all Huskies?

we do have stories about our sibs yes they are very cleaver and mischievous dogs they are nosy and adventurous, they can be very destructive if board.

On the other hand they are funny, loving, cleaver dogs and a lot of reaserch is advised before getting one, they are not like your average dog they can be hard work but they learn fast.

Any dog can be trained if you put the time in and they do learn fast.

3. Off leash? I know that Huskies love to run and run... is it possible once you have trained a bomb proof recall into your dog and or trained him to never leave your side, to walk a Husky off leash, now i am not saying down a street but in a park, or something? I ask because I like to go camping and often hike for 2 days before getting to a suitable place to spend a few days. I don't know if I could walk that distance and have a leash in my hand as often I need my hands free for balance.

Most on here would advice against off lead including myself, huskies have a very high pray drive, some do train their sib ff lead but it's a chance you take and only you can deside this, as for needing your hands free well i used a walking belt or a training lead ie a police lead, it goes around your waste so hands are free xxxx

A husky is a brilliant dog to have, they are hard work and alot of effort and you do need to put in the hours training, but in return they will give you unconditional love and their origionality will always put a smile on your face, they are a loving breed that want to play and have you as part of the game...

They are very clever, mine picked up all the usual 'doggy' commands very quickly though he does have a stubborn nature at times, off lead personally I would say it deponds on the individual dog, mine used to be brilliant at recall but recently is getting worse, so each to their own I would say if you are confident and in a safe environment let them off.

they do have alot of fur too....and require alot of exercise, if they get bored on their own you may find yourself without a sofa...

To sumerise if you have hours to put into a dog and dont mind a challange a husky is worth considering

hello!

we were very worried about getting Mallie - my fella had dogs growing up but i neva had.

we heard they were hard work and a big no no as a first dog so we were put off and started looking at others.

after realising that we didnt want anything else we went ahead and found her :D

shes been nothing but a joy to have and has picked up the training sooooooo quick!!!

at puppy school (been twice) she seemed to b the cheekiest and most fun loving dog there being so into everything so the trainer used her as the example for the leave and stay command and to everyones amazement she picked it up in seconds and was let off the lead still doing what she shud!!!

they then tried it with a pointer who didnt do a thing and the trainer gave up after running out of time.

i guess what im trying to say is that i had no idea how clever they really are!!!

shes fab on the lead, im now getting her to follow me around the house with a treat in my hand so she gets used to being by my side

i have a house rabbit which now (after 2wks) she leaves alone (supervised) there even hanging out together now as i type :lol:

just b sure to get one from a place where they've been cared for, not a nasty puppy farm :unsure:

let us know the outcome!!! hope this helps :D

I think you'll find its more a case of chance that you seem to see a lot on here to be honest. we have hundreds of members visit on a daily basis and therefore you will see a lot of issues but that is not something you should be worried about particularly especially if you train as you have stated.

This said, yes huskies can be very mischeivous, cheaky and are very intelligent. For example the 'getting out of the yard' thing is not much to do with training and more to do with them finding a way around everything. 6-8 foot fence is a must and huskies dig like a JCB so you must ensure they cannot dig their way out also. If they can, they will. The killing smaller animals is not an unacceptable behaviour, but an expected one with a sibe. This is due to their natural prey instinct which as stated above is very high. They are not recommended to have with small animals, and although I have a cat myself which has been there since they were born I always keep a very close eye on them with her.

This would all depend on what you were trying to train and very dependant on the individual husky. Using the above example I have a cat which most huskies would pull to pieces, however ours so far have been fine. However there has been another member on here in a similar situation where the husky ended up killing the cat purely through playing with it. There are some which will be very difficult to train out, however as said it would depend on the dog itself.

Me and my wife used to let ours off leash and trusted them 100% with recall instantly on every walk for months. Then one day they simply decided they were not going to come back. Now they dont get off leash at all. The general guidence is not to let a husky off whatsoever unless in a secure area. They can, and will run off. As you stated above, they love to run, and if they decide to run off they will think nothing of running across roads straight into cars. They are not to be treated like other dogs in this respect at all.

General Concensus - DO NOT EVER let your husky off leash without being in a secure area .... Yes some do, however lots also lose them as a result.

Blaze has been alot better than we have expected all he does is occasionally dig, hes killed a frog, he TRIED to get at our gerbils before they died and he chewed paper (books post ect) he also likes chewing my underwear up (he used to steal socks) and he chewed up my phone charger other than all of these hes been really good

depends what your trying to train out of him i guess,, im currently training blaze to walk on a loose leash (and its stupidly hard) and im trying to get him to ignore other dogs and cats on our walks too - he has his good days and he has his bad days too, but ive only been training him for a month so far

i would NEVER let Blaze off lead purely because these dogs can and will RUN! i dropped blazes leash once completly by accident and he ran off i only got him back because he stopped 2 pee up a bush,, he also escaped the garden once again we were lucky to get him back he ran across two roads and only stopped to sniff another dog, if there were any cars about im scared to think we might have lost him for good - and unfortunately that has happened many a time with people and their sibes :( their prey drive is SO high i wouldnt risk it i take him over a feild near me for a run on a 100ft lead that way ive got peice of mind that my dogs safe and when i go home i go home with both of my dogs i could call Bings off chasing a rabbit but i know for a fact i wouldnt be able to call Blaze off so he stays on lead at all times unless he is in the house or garden

Hi Thane. Welcome to the Pack! Sorry for your recent loss. I'd like to answer your questions, and may repeat what others have stated. So here goes.

I don't have a lot of stories, but for every characteristic that is engrained into a Husky, I probably have one or two stories. Huskies have an inquisitive nature. If something is out of the ordinary, they pick up on it quickly and will take advantage of it. For example, a fenced in yard. If one board is out of place, they will zero in on that and work on that one board to develop a hole in the fence. Once that is done, they'll work on the adjacent boards and make an escape hatch. They have a high prey drive, so if there is a small animal, they will go after it. It is their nature. Some are worse than others, but most every Husky I've known is pretty much like that.

You can redirect their prey drive, but I don't know that you can ever be 100% certain. Huskies always push the envelope, they see obstacles as challenges, and it is in their makeup to overcome challenges. Many of their drives are instinct, and you never know what will trigger them to react. You have to stay one step ahead, often times two steps ahead, of a Husky, day in and day out.

All I can say is, never let a Husky off leash unless in a safe confined area - Never. It gets back to their prey drive and what might trigger them to react. It only takes once, and they are gone.

I would agree with what everyone has said so far. They are a lot of work but I wouldnt change my pup for anything in the world. I have her in constant training classes and though only 9 months old, she has become an excellent dog and walks great with me! I only let her off lead in a fenced in park so she can burn off all that extra energy, and when hiking, I just use a 20 or 30ft lead wrapped around my waste.

Hope this all helps. The ppl on this forum have been excellent for me.

Best of luck with your decision.

In respect a husky is not your average domestic dog

it is a wild dog which is bred for sledding and a peoples companion

they have a huge prey drive so any food is on the husky terms food

so they smell food they eat food although they can be trained under supervision but you leave your husky at home have piece of ham on the side 10 times out of 10 it will be gone

they were not bred to be indoors that's a fact

It's a very stubbern dominant breed and i asure the prey instict is built in

but you can train your husky in alot of aspects just the killing bit is automatic

no the husky is are generally indipendant and will run where it wants usually to another dog

although im sure if you had 2 other dogs to set a good example e.g bordaclolie german shepherd that are good off the lead the husky stays with the pack but only risk in woodland and becareful

As was mentioned, no matter how good your return command is, it only takes a single time for their prey drive to kick in, and they'll be gone.

Don't get me wrong, I like to go camping, and plan on taking Nanuck with me. A 100' lead in the woods is a no go, so in the least, I'd suggest getting a GPS collar for the dog. In my experience, they will come back eventually, but I'm talking about a day or two. It's not that they won't come back, it's the dangers to them (ie cars, wildlife, theft) which is the reason it's frowned upon.

My last Sibe killed a squirrel and a cat. The squirrel he got a treat for, since it got into the house via the dryer duct. While slightly morbid, it was funny watching him run around the house chasing after the squirrel, which he finally caught. Cleaning up the mess wasn't fun though.

In respect a husky is not your average domestic dog

it is a wild dog which is bred for sledding and a peoples companion

they have a huge prey drive so any food is on the husky terms food

so they smell food they eat food although they can be trained under supervision but you leave your husky at home have piece of ham on the side 10 times out of 10 it will be gone

they were not bred to be indoors that's a fact

It's a very stubbern dominant breed and i asure the prey instict is built in

but you can train your husky in alot of aspects just the killing bit is automatic

no the husky is are generally indipendant and will run where it wants usually to another dog

although im sure if you had 2 other dogs to set a good example e.g bordaclolie german shepherd that are good off the lead the husky stays with the pack but only risk in woodland and becareful

i dnt mean 2 seem rude but i disagree with some of this jamie 1st thing i disagree with is u saying 'it is a wild dog' dogs arent wild they have been demestocated for years! 2nd thing i dont agree with is u saying they were not bred 2 b indoors - do u mean they arent supposed 2 live indoors? i only have 1 husky atm and he lives eats and sleeps indoors n when we get another he will too and the 3rd thing i disagree with is the having another dog 2 set a good example i have bingo a staffy x whippet and he saw a rabbit i called him and he came trotting back over too me i no for a fact that if they both saw it and i shouted them both bings wud come bk and blaze wud carry on chasin the rabbit or bings wud follow blaze

First thanks for the replies,

I have read every one, and I understand now that Huskies have a HUGE desire to run, I have been reading about them incessantly for a few weeks now. What has draw me to this breed is one Its looks, I love how they look and level on energy in them. I don't really like the level of stubbornness that seems indicative of the breed.

Currently I am thinking that this breed might not be for me. While I can see hiking with a a dog that is content to stay near my side or range 3 - 4 hundred feet in front, while off lead. I can't see Hiking with a husky attached to my waist with 60+ pounds (4 and a 1/3rd stone for you English people) on even a 3 foot lead.

It was a good dream while it lasted and I still love the breed and will probably still visit here with stories of my ...(er probably a hunting breed)... I am not sure the breed is for me.

I'm glad you've decided to do research on the breed and come here to further increase your knowledge. Too many people acquire Huskies on sheer looks/cuteness factors and end up with an adolescent dog that they can no longer handle. What everyone has been saying is pretty much dead on about the breed. Considering the fact that I own both a Lab and a Husky, I can definitely assure you that they're NOTHING alike. I too hike for miles upon miles with both my dogs, and have been doing so with my previous dogs beforehand for years. My Lab can roam around off-leash with a 100% assured recall, whereas, like people have stated... you just can't guarantee a 100% recall with your Sibe. Therefore, unfortunately, my Sibe is always leashed up with me on our hikes. Huskies are great hiking dogs though. I can hike upwards of 10-15 miles before my Lab is looking at me with sheer exhaustion behind his eyes, whereas my Sibe is looking at me like.. "I can go for another 15!"

Huskies are great companions and a very strong-willed breed of dog. Aspen was my first non-Lab (and 1 Yorkie) breed that I've had the pleasure to raise and own, and I must say.. he has me wanting more and more and more.. In fact, I came very close to purchasing another Husky as a companion for him but decided to grab up another Lab, mainly from my sheer love of the breed, and also as a "role model" figure for Aspen. Believe it or not, Paxton has curbed Aspen's "wildness" a bit and helps him to become more balanced in my opinion. They're a great pair! ;)

Whatever you do end up deciding on, don't be afraid to swing through and chat with us! I'd be interested in seeing what you end up welcoming into your household. Maybe a German Shorthaired Pointer? Ha ha, love me some gundogs and hope to acquire a GSP one day.

First thanks for the replies,

I have read every one, and I understand now that Huskies have a HUGE desire to run, I have been reading about them incessantly for a few weeks now. What has draw me to this breed is one Its looks, I love how they look and level on energy in them. I don't really like the level of stubbornness that seems indicative of the breed.

Currently I am thinking that this breed might not be for me. While I can see hiking with a a dog that is content to stay near my side or range 3 - 4 hundred feet in front, while off lead. I can't see Hiking with a husky attached to my waist with 60+ pounds (4 and a 1/3rd stone for you English people) on even a 3 foot lead.

It was a good dream while it lasted and I still love the breed and will probably still visit here with stories of my ...(er probably a hunting breed)... I am not sure the breed is for me.

If only people approached this as you did, they'd be fewer Sibes in shelters.....hats off to you!!

Have you considered German Shepherds?

If only people approached this as you did, they'd be fewer Sibes in shelters.....hats off to you!!

Have you considered German Shepherds?

Totaly agree hats off to you for doing your research befor jumping in, stay on here as we still like seeing pics of other breeds so let us know what you end up getting.....

huskies are a very primative breed, meaning they have not changed much, they are born to run, and hunt. micha is a hunter, and will take off after a deer, so we take her places where there arent any, however deer are every where, and i nearly got trampled by a deer as big as me on a side road

huskies can be trained, then usually decide to ignore you, micha is superb at learning then ignoring it after a few goes.

it is a very rare husky that will obey 100% of the time

3. Off leash? I know that Huskies love to run and run... is it possible once you have trained a bomb proof recall into your dog and or trained him to never leave your side, to walk a Husky off leash, now i am not saying down a street but in a park, or something? I ask because I like to go camping and often hike for 2 days before getting to a suitable place to spend a few days. I don't know if I could walk that distance and have a leash in my hand as often I need my hands free for balance

it is a super rare husky that will not run off, they are not being bad, it is just their nature, micha is competitive about her running, and will only run if she is racing another dog or person on a bike, however she is prey driven, and we can now only take her to a few places that she cannot escape from or offend people and let her off to roam. she was very good until about a year old, when the prey drive kicked in.

in short huskies are very intelligent, which means they will get bored easily, they are born to run, and love to hunt.

on the plus side they are very loving animals and the bond you develop is amazing. micha and suki are the most loced members of our family, everyone loves them unconditionally here.

to be honest it does not sound like a husky is the dog for you.

i know someone who goes explorining and he has a black lab (not the fat type)

Whatever you do end up deciding on, don't be afraid to swing through and chat with us! I'd be interested in seeing what you end up welcoming into your household. Maybe a German Shorthaired Pointer? Ha ha, love me some gundogs and hope to acquire a GSP one day.

George - How would you compare a GSP personality to a Husky, generally speaking? I also wanted a GSP before I got Yanky (as a surprise present) and will eventually get a second dog.

Some excellent replies & advice posted, so much so, there's nothing else I can think of to add! :lol: (added to reps!)

I too take my hat off to you researching the breed & asking the questions helping you decide if a husky is right for you & your lifestyle, and coming to the decision you have.

One thing I will say in reply to your first question (1. Everyone here seems to have a lot of stories about how their husky got into their fridge/ out of the yard/ killed a smaller animal etc.. etc.. These are all unacceptable behaviours from a dog and every one here has some story about that. Everyone seems to take the mischievous behaviour as a matter of course. Is this to be expected from all Huskies?) - the forum was set up to chat about the breed but also to help each other out with problems, issues, queries that come with owning a husky, we all have just as many positives which may be included in respoding to a post, but the majority of forum posts are people requiring help or guidance, so it may seem slightly biased towards problems, problems, problems! They do have their good side, too - honest!! :lol:

Whatever breed you decide on, please drop back & let us know & show us pics, you are always welcome here, xx

After youv'e read all the (i was going to say negative sides) traits of the Husky, i have to say that Sabre has never destroyed anything but his toys, stolen any food,dug any holes or tried to escape and doesn't really like to be outside on his own, thats not to say that everybody elses dogs are bad i'm just trying to show the other side of a Husky. He is a fantastic companion and valued member of our family and life wouldn't be the same without him.rolleyes.gif

One bonus with the husky for your hiking expeditions is the "saddle bags" that you can get so your dog can carry some of your load.smile.gif

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Andy i gotta agree with what you just said Odin as never destroyed any thing but his toys, never stolen food an he's not one for digging holes, but he's the most stuborn dog i've ever come across lol. The other two well they dig for England, they have eaten my carpit on the stairs and my god don't take your eyes of ya food lol they are all so different xxx

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

About letting them off the leash, I have heard everyone who has owned or knows someones who has owned a husky tell me to never let them off the leash. I want to start jogging with my pup when she is older, so I got a dog jogger leash. Its really great! it ties around your waist like a belt and that way your hands are free.

I hope this help. Huskies are sooo lovable :)