Travel long distance by plane with a husky

Hi All,

We're looking at moving from the UK to NZ with our husky in 3/4 months time.  He'll be three years old, but has separation anxiety and I was a bit naive in thinking that someone's in cargo with them but that isn't the case.  We're now worried as we've managed to leave him on his own for 3-4 hours but not for 12 hours as will be needed for this kind of flight.

The pet travel operators think it will be fine, but we're worried/nervous and wondered if anyone's attempted this before?  We have a few months to work with a trainer on this, but wondered in the meantime if anyone had any advice?

Cheers in advance! 

That did make me laugh - by air.  I actually looked at by sea but that's like 80-90 days travel and apparently 74,500 Euros - so don't think that's going to happen.

He'll go by plane and am going to see one of the operators on Monday to pick out a crate which we can train him in over the next few months.  I was OK about it all until my husband started to worry, and I started asking questions.  Now I can't stop thinking about him howling in the cargo all by himself for 22 hours :(  Was hoping someone else would say they've attempted it and it was fine as some reassurance.

• 2 years later...

This should be one of the most exciting trips. Don't forget to bring your dog to the veterinarian for a checkup before going on an extended trip. Make sure all his vaccinations are up-to-date and take shot records with you. Also, health certifications are required for airline travel. A crate is an excellent way to keep your dog safe in the car and is required for airline travel. It can also keep your pet from getting into trouble in a hotel or at your host’s home. There are a lot of tips for travelling with a dog by plane and the most important thing is to get you and your pet safe to the destination and afterwards just enjoy yourself.

• 7 months later...

In general, huskies have a very hard time flying, they find it easier to drive long trips. I needed to work in Russia for some time and I could not leave my dog at home, so we flew together and the dog took a long time to adapt to the new conditions, especially to the change of time zones. A project in Russia awaits me again and I am already filling out the documents (if you are interested, and I chose to travel by water since my dog does not have seasickness.

• 6 months later...

Oh, it's so heartbreaking that some people have to leave their dogs because they just don't know how to travel with them or don't want to make them suffer during long flights. I understand that, and I was really worried when I decided to and travel there with my dog. I was extremely happy that everything went well, and it seemed like my husky didn't even notice anything.

• 2 months later...

You don't have to worry about traveling with your dog at the place, even for a long distance. My husband and I have a 2 year old husky. After our wedding, we decided to choose a honeymoon destination from https://honeymoongoals.com/best-honeymoon-usa/ and fly there. We went to Bora Bora and flew for some good hours. We had to take him with us because either of us could feel like on vacation without him. We bought him a plane ticket chose a good carriage for him. It was taken with the luggage, and he stayed in the compartment destined for animals. Everything was fine.

• 3 months later...

I will never get my dog into a plane. Have you seen in what conditions they keep our pets? I always travel by train when I want to take my dog with me. First, I can be with my dog in the same wagon while traveling, which is very important because I can calm my pet if it is stressed. I always travel by train from dbauskunft.com. They allow keeping your dog in the wagon, but you need to follow some security regulations for this, which aren't hard to follow if your dog is calm and isn't too stressed while traveling by train.

Oh, I understand perfectly well that you care about your dog. I was also worried every time I traveled with my dog. I have a Yorkshire Terrier dog, and I always take it with me on trips. I tried the plane about 2 times, but the plane flight is too stressful for the dogs because there is another amplitude, they keep them in a cold room, and I haven't wanted to travel by plane since. I choose the trains. We often travel through Germany by train from https://www.dbfahrplan.com/de/. Even if the roads are longer, you are not at another amplitude, and the dog is always near you.