Emergency recall?

Marc

Was just reading this on another forum. Apparently some trainers will use a alternative recall command to use as an 'emergency' recall. I'm persuming this is one that is taught but very rarely used unless the situation occurs when your husky will not return. Anyone else heard about this? Can see both sides of t he story on whether or not to use one, but to me it seems if your gonna spend so much time teaching this, then wouldnt it be better to train them not to ignore you in the first place lol..

I think one of the best "emergency recalls" I have ever heard of is the command DROP. Lets say your dog escapes and crosses the street. You call him back, only to have him respond and be struck by a vehicle on the way back to you.

Successfully taught, using the DROP command the scenario would be that the dog drops immediately and you are able to cross the street to where he is patiently waiting.

While I didn't think of this when Bo was young, my next will definitely be pushed to learn it. I can't think of a better command to teach a dog.

I have mine go into a down drop only for the reason that rebel is a bit of a big man....he likes to go over to other dogs and look all big which could easily cause a fight and i really dont wanna be the one slitting up some random dogs ( im 5'1 and 7 half stone lol )

Basically i have taught them to go into the down position and ignore everything that is around them except me....i practise all the time when i take them to the field ( huge and well enclosed ).

9 times out of 10 they listen...the other 1 time they remember the sibe rules and act like im not even speaking in engish !

Also with sibes being the friendly puppies they are i teach them commands bu hand claps and hand signals cos i dont know about all your but if anyone shouted any one of my 6 by name they would happily go bounding over great them like they are their best friend and leave me standing like a numpty.

I found that hand signals were excellent to use with Bo -- (and quite by accident I must admit!)

I started because of the fact he would give me the "I don't understand English" look....out of pure frustration one day, I began using simple hand signals (after all, why command something that he'll ignore anyway - LOL) He seemed to love the challenge of figuring out and was quick to learn each new signal.

I know trainers who use two different commands, one lot in English and one in German (for Schutzhund work). The German commands are used when training the dog in drive and when it is working, English commands are used more casually. Of course this is a bit more complicated and used mainly for working dogs :)

Come means come for my dogs, I don't like to set them up to fail so I would not recall them if I knew they weren't going to come. I think if a dog was chasing a small animal (for eg) out of prey drive, unless you have done drive style training the chances of your dog recalling whilst on the chase are pretty much nil.

Try calling a dog on the run (especially a husky) to "down" and I don't think it would terribly effectively unless you have put the training in - in which case a recall will work just as well :)