Stubborn Pup

Hazel's mommy

My 17 week old pup is doing so good with her training and she's pretty well behaved but I can't get her to come when I call her. If she's busy exploring the yard or just doesn't want to get up from her nap, she will completely ignore me! I've tried giving her a treat when she comes to my command and that worked great but now that I've slowly stopped rewarding her with a treat she goes back to her stubborn self and ignores me, especially if she can run from me. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Maybe start back the treat again (high value treat). I'm still having the same problem with one of mine. I'll say "come" with happy excitement & she lays watching the neighbor's barn. (Baby skunks are underneath it so she wants to watch, won't come, then we play chase LOL!) Maybe I should use treats too!🤗

~ANGIE

Sounds like typical husky 'whats in it for me' Amys recall can be great...... at her choosing!!! Then another time she will just completely ignore me, another reminder why our stubborn furbabies are not to be let off lead!! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Maybe start back the treat again (high value treat). I'm still having the same problem with one of mine. I'll say "come" with happy excitement & she lays watching the neighbor's barn. (Baby skunks are underneath it so she wants to watch, won't come, then we play chase LOL!) Maybe I should use treats too![emoji847]

~ANGIE

I'm trying to get away from using treats every time but she's so OBSESSED with food! She's a little pig and lazy at that too! Lol.

Sounds like typical husky 'whats in it for me' Amys recall can be great...... at her choosing!!! Then another time she will just completely ignore me, another reminder why our stubborn furbabies are not to be let off lead!! [emoji3]

Yeah she even looks at me like "ha! Yeah right." Little stinkers! I won't let her off leash because I'm so scared she will just run off saying "see ya suckers!" Lol.

For recall I use food if distraction is high (cats, birds, wild dogs,...). If it/s in the house or park I just pet him and say "good Aris" when he comes when called.  Nothing works if he is playing with other dogs in dog park. All present dogs in that moment have "hearing problems" no matter the breed. :)

Treats will usually get Ice coming but the best way is to call Bear as she'll come when called and he normally follows. Sometimes he won't though and very, very rarely I'm a really bad husky mum and pick up the outside bucket...he runs indoors as soon as I touch it even though it's empty. The reason I'm a bad husky mum is because I know he hates it and the reason why is in the summer sometimes me and the kids have a water fight and the bucket is involved. Ice has inadvertently got wet in the past from trying to join in when we're playing and he doesn't like it too much. (Rain doesn't bother him though) so if I'm really struggling to get him inside in the middle of night, then the last resort is to simply touch the empty bucket and he goes inside pretty quickly. [emoji85]

Archived