Yard

HuskyNC

Hi,

I will be getting a husky puppy this summer [emoji177]

I have a decent size yard with a lot of squirrels that I assume puppy will want to chase after. I'm currently not in a position to fence it, I was thinking about getting a wireless fence. Anyone has experience with such fence for a husky? I have a concern that if he sees a squirrel, he might run away since I don't have a fence.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I would not do wireless, because they can't guarantee it works. It may have a glitch or your dog may outsmart it. It's not worth the worry of your husky runn ing loose in the road. Maybe a tie out line with a good harness attachment

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

He will most definitely run after the squirrels, huskies have a high prey drive and once it kicks in there will be no stopping him.
You will need a fence over 6 foot to ensure his safety, they are very clever escape artists and they need a lot of your attention.
Good luck with your new addition. [emoji3]

No definitely would not recommend the wireless fence. Any kind of shock collar is cruel and not a good way to train a dog. Plus if a husky wants to get a squirrel, cat etc, nothing is going to stop them! My 2 go nuts if they see squirrels. I had a dog trainer with me on a walk once and they saw a squirrel, even she couldn't get their attention back on her.

Huskies have an extremely high prey drive. If you don't have a fence maybe you should consider another breed, or they will have to be kept on a leash while in your yard, or you will have to get a fence at least 6 ft high. Huskies are very good escapees

We built a 5.5 foot tall fence out of anti-climb horse gauge mesh, with 9' posts concreted at 8' intervals. Yes it's expensive but it's the best way to protect Sarah from other animals coming in and her getting out.

I've never tried wireless fencing but I'm almost positive it wouldn't work for Sarah. She's hunted, killed and eaten at least 25 rabbits over the past three years and that is the only item she will not give me without a "trade" of other meat for the dead/partially eaten rabbit. She's gone as far as snarling at me over it. If I didn't have that fence, she would race across that line in pursuit of a rabbit without delay.

Costs can be reduced by doing the labor yourself (not fun, trust me, but it helps.) The last thing I'd do is rely on the wireless fences.

I've heard stories of huskies chasing after prey straight through the fence but then the shock prevents them from coming back into the garden (if they come back)
Fencing off at least some of your garden , having a tie-out or run might be best but then they could chew out of a tie-out

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Hello, I think you got the answers you needed about the electric fence.  I know people that don't have fences and have a husky.  It's more difficult but it can work.  If you choose to get a stake in the ground and just have the dog out on a lead, a couple things to remember...you will need a very strong stake, I found one online that was rated up to like 120lbs, even though my dog is only 60lbs.  Also, I would make sure the dog is never left unattended if you go that route, because left alone just for a few minutes its still possible for them to get loose.  Even having a fence isn't foolproof as huskies are notorious escape artists!

Hello, I think you got the answers you needed about the electric fence.  I know people that don't have fences and have a husky.  It's more difficult but it can work.  If you choose to get a stake in the ground and just have the dog out on a lead, a couple things to remember...you will need a very strong stake, I found one online that was rated up to like 120lbs, even though my dog is only 60lbs.  Also, I would make sure the dog is never left unattended if you go that route, because left alone just for a few minutes its still possible for them to get loose.  Even having a fence isn't foolproof as huskies are notorious escape artists!

Maybe...an electric fence, regular fence and a stake would work [emoji23]

Archived