Preydrive ( inappropriate for small children) and Letting Huskies Off Lead

FiatluX

Relatively innocent, it was/is a fresh roadkill.

But once latched on to the prey a Husky will never back down, you try to get the captured prey out of their mouthes.

In this case Iroh had himself a treat, but imagine if he had been off lead and this was somebody's cat, rabbit, squirrel etc.

No happy ending in that scenario..

preydrive1.thumb.jpg.1756f7123cbfdd467a52cf9271927519.jpg

My two run but only in a fenced safe area, they used to run in local park when they were pups but once they were more interested in catching what was in the park I stopped letting them run there, I'm lucky to have found somewhere for them, not everyone does and there's only one other dog owner that takes his rotty and we've come to an arrangement about times, I don't let mine off together either, they take it in turns and it works really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

My boy Louie has snatched pigeons out the air and killed them in the grab whilst walking down the highstreet, and its hard to pull his jaws open to get him to spit his prey and then kick it away. He has also lunged and attacked wind blown leaves when they suddenly fly up past his head. I would hate to think what he would do off the lead or if he ever escaped.

I do let him off the lead but only in the local parks tennis or basket ball courts 12 foot fences and gates you can lock. I also know he is ok with kids but being a bit of a thug I knw he might jump up and not meaning to hurt a small child

I try not to let him eat caught or road kill wildlife as i see it as a health risk with parasites being the least to worry about.

I wish he was like my old man shepherdI have had him walking around off lead ina  room full of left over african food, goat chicken fish bones all over the place and just one Leave it! growled at him and he just ran around helping clean up and put tables and chairs away, but being a husky short of putting a muzzle on him he will try to kill or eat  things he should not

I have been able to make mine 'Leave!' roadkill - provided I am fast enough to anticipate their action.  They will both step back from their prized food bowls - and this is only after a solid year's training so that 'Leave it!' is .. just that.  I renew every week to keep this command in their heads .

However if off lead in a secure field - I doubt they would listen - god help any rabbit or squirrel around - they've caught a large grey squirrel in the garden - I got the whole carcass minus mashed in skull on my kitchen runner - nearly fell over the damn thing! lol

Archived