Husky vs spaniel

Rachael_Astro

So since I've had Koda I've avoided the park - he's not the best with off lead dogs. He's a rescue and something tells me he's had a bad experience with an off lead dog because he gets really upset if one approaches.

Anyway this morning I was out quite early, no one was in the park so I took them up for a nice walk. Nearly back at the bottom and I see a Spaniel running lose. Usually I would have gone up to it to see if it had a collar, but I could see Koda getting twitchy so I turned round and walked away, no owner to be seen anywhere.

Next thing this Spaniel JUMPS on Koda, and Koda starts going absolutely mad! The Spaniel is running around us in circles, Koda is running round chasing it and poor Astro is trying to back away but he was getting tangled (if he had had his Julius K9 on I think he would have got out of it, thank god for the Houdini harness), the leads were wrapped around my legs from where Koda had been running in circles, I'm trying to keep my balance and grab the dogs and I'm shouting (and maybe screaming a bit, woops), it was absolute chaos!

The owner eventually shouted his dog from the woods, but it took a while so I don't think he was anywhere near when it all started. he didn't run out to help me he just stayed in the woods shouting his dog (who had the recall of a husky because he wasn't listening at all). The dog eventually ran into he woods, it took me ages to calm Koda down and I was shaking like a leaf.

I was SO angry, even worse that I know this bloke had another spaniel last year who he didn't keep an eye on ever, it fell down a ditch and broke its neck. Why on earth would you get another one and do exactly the same thing!

I really do think all dogs should be kept on a lead unless it's in a designated dog area. If my dogs had been aggressive it could have been a very different story this morning. It really shook me up and I walked home with legs like Bambi! Had to have a rant somewhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

sorry to hear that Rachael...but I know what you mean having got a welsh springer myself they can be bleeping annoying and once they have got it in their head that they want to do something they do stop listening for a while and then suddenly snap and think oi I should listen and go back to my owner... I know I could let Iwan offlead but I will just not do it...

I'm ok now, but still so angry at that bloke, especially after what happened to his last dog. He didn't even apologise! Usually I would have kicked off big time but I had had a bad enough morning and I just wanted to cry :(

Ugh. This kind of thing does my head in! It's the main reason I don't take mine to the park anymore. Bear's fine but Ice was pretty nervous and would growl at other dogs to back off. If something like that had happened it would have really upset him for a long time afterwards. [emoji20]
Now I try to meet dogs on the street as it's the only place where I can mostly be guaranteed to have a controlled interaction with both dogs on lead (always get that odd one who never uses a lead anywhere though).
Hope he's ok And not too spooked by the incident. Xx

Archived