POSSIBLE HIP DYSPLASIA

kelvinblank

I'm not sure either, mine tend to run a bit funny if they're running in a small area like this because they don't get chance to extend their legs properly, but it's definitely worth getting checked out

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

It looks like bunny hopping or is it because your puppy is so excited ??  My girl runs like that, too when she is a zoomer in a small area like Rachael says. My other girl had surgery for hip dysplasia last year but she's not a puppy. 

Hip dysplasia was 'rewritten' by the veterinary community last year as not genetic but caused by young pups growing up on slippery floors.
Carpets, rugs and a grass grounding were all recommended to raise young pups on until at least 10 months or 11 months when joints are more firmly developed with muscles, cartilage and tendons.
Even slippery concrete is not good. I googled this after reading a short article... it was informative, interesting and made a lot of sense.. given the in-house upbringing of many pups on laminate, vinyl or other slippery floors.
As a retired nurse, I can understand this too.
What your pup is displaying is abnormal stretching/splaying of those hip joints... if not checked now you may well have dysplasia later. Show your vet too. Can you put a non slip surface down or mats.. eg astro turf outside? You might just catch this in time...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Husky Owners mobile app

It looks like your puppy's back legs are longer than front how old is she /he I have just had mine at vets being checked X-rays and bloods for joint him and leg displacia

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

If she's walking calmly, she has the right stance or posture but when running or walking aggressively she displays a cow hock legs at her rear.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

It looks like bunny hopping or is it because your puppy is so excited ??  My girl runs like that, too when she is a zoomer in a small area like Rachael says. My other girl had surgery for hip dysplasia last year but she's not a puppy. 

Shes like that when shes excited but can walk normal when calm. I think i should let the vet check her.

Hard to say , I would definitely get it checked to be safe

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Definetely would.

Hip dysplasia was 'rewritten' by the veterinary community last year as not genetic but caused by young pups growing up on slippery floors.
Carpets, rugs and a grass grounding were all recommended to raise young pups on until at least 10 months or 11 months when joints are more firmly developed with muscles, cartilage and tendons.
Even slippery concrete is not good. I googled this after reading a short article... it was informative, interesting and made a lot of sense.. given the in-house upbringing of many pups on laminate, vinyl or other slippery floors.
As a retired nurse, I can understand this too.
What your pup is displaying is abnormal stretching/splaying of those hip joints... if not checked now you may well have dysplasia later. Show your vet too. Can you put a non slip surface down or mats.. eg astro turf outside? You might just catch this in time...

I just got her last january 28 from a rep breeder here in our country. As for her place, there is a space in our garage thats not slippery. She walks like that after i bring her home from the breeder. I open this up yo the breeder and he said that it can be corrected by exercise. Im walking her 2x a day on in morning and evening for atleast 10mins. She pulls me like crazy when were walking a do not shows any sign of pain. Shes 4months old by the way.

If walking well.. good..
Growth spurts do seem to alternate in growth regarding front and back legs ie up front first then the rear catches up .. I had this with my boy.
Maybe a good ^harness and a *Dogmatic head collar (^Hooners & *Snowpaws), but K9 do good harnesses too.
The head collar will certainly help stop pulling however turning around and walking smartly & briskly the opposite way every time they pull - over and over will confuse and tire them pretty fast and they'll just stop pulling (you may look weird to anyone watching but, it's one way to stop this) and, as soon as they start walking beside you nicely.. reward with a treat and by voice, 'Good dog / (__name__ walk nice!' Repeat daily & every time until they get the message.
Yes, pulling is in their nature .. however it is possible to do this.
I'd suggest an extra couple of links like necklines from head collar to a second collar, and from second collar to lead - in case they slip the Dogmatic head collar - the strap right behind the ears needs to only allow two flat fingers under and checked as when new it can become loose. If it won't pull over the ears.. that's how it needs to sit.
If on harness, a link from this to a second collar is worthwhile. Pups seem pretty good at recall up to 10 - 11 months.. never trust a husky off lead.. their genes tell them to roam, run and go totally deaf! [emoji5]
www.successdogs.com has some very helpful tips in training and tricks. This breed need stimulation, are very bright and love learning!

If walking well.. good..
Growth spurts do seem to alternate in growth regarding front and back legs ie up front first then the rear catches up .. I had this with my boy.
Maybe a good ^harness and a *Dogmatic head collar (^Hooners & *Snowpaws), but K9 do good harnesses too.
The head collar will certainly help stop pulling however turning aroun and walking smartly & briskly the opposite way every time they pull - over and over will confuse and tire them pretty fast and they'll just stop pulling (you may look weird to anyone watching but, it's one way to stop this) and, as soon as they start walking beside you nicely.. reward with a treat and by voice, 'Good dog / (__name__ walk nice!' Repeat daily & every time until they get the message. Yes pulling is in their nature .. however it is possible to do this. I'd suggest an extra couple of links like necklines from head collar to a second collar, and from second collar to lead - in case they slip the head collar - the strap needs to only allow two flat fingers under and checked as when new it can slip looser.
If on harness a link from this to second collar is worthwhile. Pups seem pretty good at recall up to 10 - 11 months.. never trust a husky off lead.. their genes tell them to roam, run and go totally deaf! [emoji5]
www.successdogs.com has some very helpful tips in training and tricks. This breed need stimulation, are very bright and love learning!

Thanks for the tips. Shes walking besides me when we are on a short walks but will pull me once were headed back to home. Ill bring her to vet today for peace of mind and for shots. Thanks a lot

It's not a disease.. it is a symptom resulting from over stretching ligaments/tendons during growth without letting normal tissues form strong. Stretching young tendons may give suppleness but muscles are important too to give strength to the skeletal system. [emoji4]

It's not a disease.. it is a symptom resulting from over stretching ligaments/tendons during growth without letting normal tissues form strong. Stretching young tendons may give suppleness but muscles are important too to give strength to the skeletal system. [emoji4]

Thanks for correcting. Im hoping she will not have the symptoms.

• 2 months later...

Just to follow up. Last 3 weeks when we got home from short walk, skye was not walking right. She pulls her rear legs like she was lame with no strength in her legs. I was scared and went to vet and took a hip xray. Xray looks good on hips and negative for hip dysplasia. She was given a steriod meds for pain for a week. When we got home from vet, shes walking fine again. As days goes by, I noticed her legs were longer than before. Thus this happen with medium to large breeds? Here a video on how she walks.

• 2 months later...

I have started giving supplements with Mowgli as he has a dodgy hock joint.

I use dasuquin pro but after some researched found out I can use similar human supplements from holland and Barrett which cost 1/4 the price. This is what I'll be using once I finish this batch.

Also worth noting. The better quality dog food has more additive in to aid joints etc but still no where near as much as dedicated supplements

I am giving him these more as a preventive measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

It is worth being aware that slippery floors can cause hip dysplasia from early months.
An article written by a vet or vets have confirmed HD is not a genetic issue but that pups reared on slippy floors can and does lead to HD.
Pups should be raised on rugged/carpet floors and obviously time out on natural grass is excellent for a good grip while learning to walk and become more mobile.
Once they reach a year old it is believed the joints are better developed and much stronger.
However, over stretched joints on slippery floors where dogs are splaying hind legs out sideways in smooth floor dwellings can cause some (incl very painful) issues.
Just be aware that rugs in the home with your furkids that jump around could possibly avoid HD and provide a safer environment too. 🤗

Archived