Bandit prooves he's NOT a sheep dog, thank goodness for understanding farmer

This actually happened a few months ago back in November.

Bandit our hoodini got out of our garden while me and Jamie were away on holiday and his mum and dad were dog sitting. There's a lot of farm land where we live and a nearby field of sheep. We get a lot of rabbits at the bottom end of our garden so I can only guess they've weakened the fence and bandit finished it off. He was lurking around the other side of the fence apparently for a while but when they ran around to grab him he ran off and into the field of sheep! Jamie's dad followed him and said he spooked the sheep making them run around like mad and then he caught the back end of one [emoji33] Jamie's dad managed to get bandit off and away from the sheep but he had bitten and drew blood on the poor thing ☹️ they called us asking if we knew who the farmer was but we had no idea as there's a few farms and small holdings with sheep. Luckily one of the neighbours knew who the sheep belonged too so they could let the owner know.

We got a phone call from the guy saying he'd contacted the police and they wanted to come and see our dogs and take a statement and we asked how the sheep was and apologised as much as possible and what was next (getting ready to come home to one less husky)

Fortunately for us the guy was deeply understanding about the fact that bandit has a very high prey drive and merely acted on instinct, he was of course unhappy that one of his sheep got bitten but came to an agreement with us that we would pay any vet/treatment bills he would incur.

the police came and we're happy with the dogs and we explained about the rabbits and the fence and they could see the problem was resolved so it shouldn't happen again (they were shocked none of the dogs had caught any rabbits, I said the rabbits are too quick for them!) and told us the sheep needed stitches but we haven't heard from him or the police since.

I've seen him in his tractor since when out for a run and he waves but not sure if we're getting a bill or not for the sheeps treatment. It's over two months now and nothing has been said. Do I guess he doesn't want us to pay for the treatment?

Love the three huskyteers [emoji252]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

You're right, I think you came out very lucky.

Damned Dawgs are a bugger for escaping. :jawdrop:

Thanks for the advise, unfortunately I still don't know exactly which farm he lives at but I'll try and get his attention when I see him next (see him quite often in his tractor when I go for a run and his sheep are still nearby)

Ok he came over today, we must have been thinking the same thing, and he's given me the vets bill for the treatment the sheep received now and I've found out where he lives, not that I want it to happen again!

Archived