putting huskies in backyard

Hayden

If you want to keep them in the back yard - make sure you have a minimum of 6ft SECURE fencing - they are buggers for escaping!! lol

Also make sure you don't have anything NEXT to the fences such as a kennel or a bin etc as they will jump onto that and then over the fence :)

Tieing them up is a bit more riskey as well - they could get caught up and injure themselves.

They would need shelter from the wind / rain, and things outside to stimulate them, and plenty of drinking water. If you have grass - say goodbye to it as huskies are GREAT gardeners laugh.gif

I want them to stay in the house

Ray, welcome to the board. If you have a 6' totally enclosed back yard, I would let them out there as often as they want. you mention that your parents don't want them inside at all once they are fully grown? Interesting, because, at some point, they will want to be inside. Will that be a problem for your parents?

If your backyard is secure, by all means, let 'em out. They'll get more exercise and there will be more things outdoors to "help" with their curiosity. As was said, just make sure they have a kennel or dog house to get into if it starts to rain, and plenty of fresh water.

Keep in mind, I hope your parents (or yourself) doesn't have a garden in the back yard, because it'll be destroyed in no time. :)

My first sibe hated being indoors, I could leave the back door open, and he'd never come inside by his own choice. We'll see how the new one does, but so far, he enjoys being outside when I visited my parents house (they have three dogs, two bassets and a boxer-mix).

Definitely make sure they have a well constructed doghouse that stays dry on the inside when it rains!!!! Insulated is a good idea (it can insulate from heat and cold) but not a necessity for Sibes. In the warm weather make sure the dogs have plenty of shade and fresh water. Since your yard is well secured you shouldn't need to chain them unless they keep escaping. Make sure the gate is padlocked so people don't open it and let your dogs out!

• 2 weeks later...

i have a fence up and a petsafe stubborn dog electric fence. i can set how far away i want them from the fence and they have learned to stay away from the fence even when its not on.

when they are chasing a squirel or something they will go to the fence and wont care if the fence if off, but as soon as they hear there collars beep they quickly remember to get away again.

i have a 6ft wall around my garden and my 3 are out more than they are in, i'm planning on paving the garden this year and putting in a large kennal then if they want they can stay out there xxx

Are you going to get a sandbox for them to dig in? A buddy of mine had a fenced in concrete slab with his sibe, and at first it was really bad for her nails. He ended getting a child's sandbox from Wal-mart (do they have Wal-Mart in GB, just curious), and that helped big time.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.caninekennels.com/ is good place for building your own out of sections they pretty expensive but you will only do it once. and wood just not best material for a sibe. make sure you get the smaller distanced vertical bars as they work both for pups and adult dogs as sure the 8 mm are a little bit big for pups. Another advantage of this stuff is that you can just plain pack it up if need to move house or move the run.

we currently have ours ready to go and order it just working up the effort to do the workrolleyes.gif ours will consist of half breezebloock wall with puppy run ontop of this and roof. then run consists of 2 sections length one with door plus roof ontop of this also.

just another note is that you really want your run to be as secure as your garden if not better if leaving the dogs out all night as you may wake up to find and empty kennel and no dogssad.gif huskies are very much in demand and there is alot of unscrouploious(spelling???lol) people about. wink.gif

If your backyard is secure, by all means, let 'em out. They'll get more exercise and there will be more things outdoors to "help" with their curiosity. As was said, just make sure they have a kennel or dog house to get into if it starts to rain, and plenty of fresh water.

Keep in mind, I hope your parents (or yourself) doesn't have a garden in the back yard, because it'll be destroyed in no time. smile.gif

My first sibe hated being indoors, I could leave the back door open, and he'd never come inside by his own choice. We'll see how the new one does, but so far, he enjoys being outside when I visited my parents house (they have three dogs, two bassets and a boxer-mix).

My sibe doesn't like being indoors either. We could be home all day and he'll spend the whole time outside doing his own thing. He is an extrememly good dog. We leave him outside while we go to work and he never tries to get out and has never destroyed anything. I wonder how long that will last though lol

http://www.caninekennels.com/ is good place for building your own out of sections they pretty expensive but you will only do it once. and wood just not best material for a sibe. make sure you get the smaller distanced vertical bars as they work both for pups and adult dogs as sure the 8 mm are a little bit big for pups. Another advantage of this stuff is that you can just plain pack it up if need to move house or move the run.

we currently have ours ready to go and order it just working up the effort to do the workrolleyes.gif ours will consist of half breezebloock wall with puppy run ontop of this and roof. then run consists of 2 sections length one with door plus roof ontop of this also.

just another note is that you really want your run to be as secure as your garden if not better if leaving the dogs out all night as you may wake up to find and empty kennel and no dogssad.gif huskies are very much in demand and there is alot of unscrouploious(spelling???lol) people about. wink.gif

looks a pretty good site that, will have a good look round it later and see how much it would bankrupt me LOL :)

looks a pretty good site that, will have a good look round it later and see how much it would bankrupt me LOL smile.gif

I like how you said HOW MUCH IT WOULD BANKRUPT ME and not US tongue.gif come on then - what are you waiting for lol