Switching to a new food

Wolfee

Freya has started to go off her food again, she's done it a few times in the past, but this time instead of changing the wet food we're changing the kibble. 

The kibble they have isn't the best, my mum gets them a supermarkets own brand one, and I hate it, but they pay for it so I can't exactly complain much... 

But, I spoke to a reputable breeder we have worked with in the past and she told us to try a high end kibble, she introduced me to a very affordable but good quality kibble brand called Csj... She's sending over some samples of the Csj Champ and Hike On kibble for us to try, to see if Freya likes it before we buy a huge bag, I'm just wondering if she will like it better because it's better quality? 

Also, what's the best advice for changing her food? Adding a little at a time until she's on it fully? 

When switching their food, it's always best to introduce the new food over time.  Switching it quickly is likely to upset their sensitive stomachs.  I usually do it over a 2 week period.  For the first 3-4 days, I do 25% of the new food, 75% of the old food.  Then for the next few days, I do 50/50, then 75% new, 25% old for the next few days. 

• Like 3

Better quality is better for them but doesn't always equate to being more tasty. Perhaps she's just holding out for the wet food? Like Jay said, a gradual switchover is best, particularly if she's prone to a sensitive stomach. Ice would react to even the slightest thing, we had to feed him one thing exclusively for years because it was all he could handle. Took months to find the right food for him and destroyed our hallway carpet in the meantime! [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent via the power of telepathy.

13 hours ago, Emma said:

Better quality is better for them but doesn't always equate to being more tasty. Perhaps she's just holding out for the wet food? Like Jay said, a gradual switchover is best, particularly if she's prone to a sensitive stomach. Ice would react to even the slightest thing, we had to feed him one thing exclusively for years because it was all he could handle. Took months to find the right food for him and destroyed our hallway carpet in the meantime! emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Sent via the power of telepathy.

That's what I thought when she first started, but she'll do it with wet food too. She'll sometimes not even pick a bit up she'll sniff and then walk off :/