Merrick Backcountry

So Shadow has become a crazy picky eater (when he was younger he went nuts over his kibble)! He was on Purina One when I got him at 8 weeks and after about a week at home I started the switch to taste of the wild pacific stream, he liked it for about two weeks and then wouldn't touch it, so I tried the bison formula instead and same thing he liked it for about two weeks then hated it. The only way I could get him to eat at all was if I mixed it with wet (yes I realize I probably could have waited him out and he would have eventually ate if he was hungry enough, but I know he's growing a lot right now and I just love him and want him to enjoy his food). Anyway it was like pulling teeth to get him to eat, however he loves all of his treats that have chicken as the fiest ingredient so after a month or so of him hating TOTW I switched to Simply Nourish since chicken was the first ingredient... And same thing happened he loved the first small bag and hated it by the second bag. ... My all around question is that I am now looking at trying Merrick Backcountry puppy and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it. It's a little more pricey than what I was aiming for but it does have real pieces of freeze dried raw mixed it (an all raw diet is not an option for me right now). Thank you guys so much for the help. (If you have any advice on picky eating in general, or what worked for your Siberian huskies, that would be awesome too) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I don't think it really matters what brand you buy.  After a couple of weeks, they get bored with it and start to hold out for something different.  

If sensitive tummies are a problem, then switching brands too often can be a problem. I usually buy a bag of one flavour and when it runs out, cycle over to a different flavour of the same brand.  Once they've had all the variations, I'll start back over at the beginning.  

I did try adding tasty treats to the kibble but in all honesty that made things worse. Got to the stage where they wouldn't touch their food ever unless it had tasty treats in it.   So obviously that wasn't a great idea, lol.   Now I just leave their meal down for a few minutes and if they don't eat it, I'll take it away and they have to wait until the next meal.  Seems to work for us.  brooke my staffy is the worst offender. 

I do what Emma has suggested - I leave their food down, if they've not eaten it in 10 mins i remove it and they won't get anything else until their next meal time.  Sometimes they won't eat if they're too warm or poorly but if they're being stubborn then they're just showing their husky side :)

17 hours ago, Sarah said:

I do what Emma has suggested - I leave their food down, if they've not eaten it in 10 mins i remove it and they won't get anything else until their next meal time.  Sometimes they won't eat if they're too warm or poorly but if they're being stubborn then they're just showing their husky side :)

Yes he definitely has a husky side! I'll start trying this to see if it helps any. Thank you!