How long is acceptable to leave a husky

skysky69

People's opinions differ so much on this subject. How long is acceptable to leave a husky for, puppy or adult. I have been speaking to a few people now and some people have said that a puppy would be "OK" being left for 4 hours, not great but at the end of the day people have to work etc. But some people have said this is too long and a puppy shouldn't really be left at all?

Its all very confusing!

To be honest I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here - it all depends on your puppy/ dog. Obviously though I wouldnt be happy leaving a puppy for close to 4 hours - mainly because of toileting issues.

Were quite lucky at the moment - as out girls are only left for about 2 hours max!

It´s really depends of puppy. I have been totally at home (No work etc.) when my puppies were 8-16 weeks old. Then I hired person to walk and play with the sibes during my work day. She takes them to the park etc. My workdays can be even 10 hours long, so help is needed in my case! I Think that 8 hours work day is still tolerable time to be alone. But any longer is too much. And little puppy even few hours is quite much.

My boys are walked for an hour in the morning then left for 4 hours until Marc goes home at dinner to let them out for a half hour run in the garden. then they're back in their crates till 3.30 and out for the rest of the night then. We have done this since they were pups (didn't walk them for an hour when they were little though lol) and they've done really well :)

when we both work, Pongo is left no longer than 6 hours and he seems ok with it. He's 8 months old now. My husband walks him in the morning and I take him when I get home, or we go together when he gets home.

When he was a pup I was home all day with him so he was hardly ever home alone. We weaned him off of me slowly by leaving him for longer and longer periods of time until he got used to it.

As was mentioned, opinions vary. I currently have a 12-week old Sibe, live alone, work all day, and he is fine with it. I do keep him in a large breed kennel during the day, which is really a no-no for pups, but it gives him room to play.

This is my second Sibe, as my first one was stolen at 2 years of age (10 years ago), and I pretty much did the same with him. They adapt very easily.

Mind you, if I get a chance to come home during to day, I do, to let him out to use the bathroom, but this isn't always the case.

Come spring, he'll be big enough to be outside on the patio during the day (live in an apartment), as right now, he can squeeze through the railing.

Currently my youngest Sibe is 6 years old and I will leave them alone for up to 14 hours with no problems. But my guys live outside anyways so should they need to go to the washroom they are able to do so freely (although the boys will try to hold it and not mess the kennel at all). Of course it is very rare that I would leave them for that long but sometimes I have to because of work.

When the puppy comes home (she will be 8 weeks old) I will try my best to not leave her for longer than 4 hours at a time (she will be inside being housetrained and won't move to living outside until she is older...probably around 6 months old).

it all depends really really on how much excersice you give it i gave oscar half hour walk went out for nearly 2 hours and he was fine a bit excited

but i would advise when you get back never nuture excitement only give dog effection when the dog is calm submisive

one thing ive realised is when you go out never leave food about. toiliting if he peas he does it in the kitchen which can be mopped ect....

post-616-13585947568295_thumb.jpg

Monday - Friday (Term Time) ours is crated from 7.30am to 4.30pm and has been since we got her at 12 weeks. We had too large a cage at first which resulted in the dog soiling itself during the day, changed to a suitable sized cage for the dog and it stopped almost immediately.

Ours get 30/40 mins walk on a morning, 30mins to an hour on an evening.

It all depends on the dog, some people seem to have real trouble with huskys, ours isn't destructive, doesn't howl and can be 100% trusted off it's lead, sometimes I doubt I even have a husky at all, lol.

As a puppy i can't realy say as we had lodgers when Odin was a pup so always some one home with him, but now if we are both at work they are alone for 8 hours, but its not to bad as we have 3 to keep each other company and its rare as we do diff shifts so usualy one of us at home xxx

We were lucky that when Kremlin was a puppy, he was never alone at home. Although sometimes we did leave, for even longer then 4 hours, which of course, led to some potty disasters during that time.

Now, he stays alone up to 8 hours, but he is not crated so he gets to roam free in a couple of rooms, as we have never had any problems with him destroying stuff.