Gee And Haw Training!

Ok so just checking I'm doing is right....I've just started with gee and haw training, nicko is facing me and I'm getting him to touch my hands with his nose and giving him a treat when he gets it right. Am I on the right track? Will he get confused when he has to do it facing away from me?...what is the next step I need to take?

Thanks! :)

you can also do it while you take him for a walk when turning right say Haw or what ever you want to use..then once you have done that say it just before turning and after a while a few meters before you want to turn...also train stop is handy as well...I did not use treats as it is a bit difficult to give a treat while running...

I trained my boys just on normal everyday walks - took a couple of weeks but they seemed to pick it up early on and then forget everything as sniffing a tree was more important  :rolleyes:

But yeah - normal walks worked best for me and then progressed that way x

I also taught on walks, but I used 'left' and 'right' as I could never remember which was gee and haw.  

same here..:P and as I do it in English anyways nobody when I run can interfere with mine then...

Thanks all.....I've been watching loads of vids of dogs pulling and it amazes me how they follow the gee and haw instructions so well! Especially at things like forks in the road......I hope my boy can pick it up :)

oh he will once left right and stop, but I use a different word then stop, you can start with on by, to pass something...on to keep going straight on..and the most beautifull thing is that you can use what ever you want like banana for straight on , and stuff like that :D.. and oh so handy when walking as well...as  running..:P

I also taught on walks, but I used 'left' and 'right' as I could never remember which was gee and haw.

G comes before H - is how I remembered r1ght and left (2nd) ....call me madmaz..lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I started mine (Chester) by my side pushing right and saying gee...swapping sides and pushing left saying haw.

I also started him in gee/haw turns indoors;

Spinning in front of me (Eski learnt too).

Get him in front of you with treat visible (him standing is better).

Hold treat over nose and move it in a circle to make him turn round following treat to the right saying gee.

Reward instantly he completes the turn. Repeat and reward x 6.

Break 30 seconds and fuss.

Start again with him focussed again on the treat in hand.

Now turn him to his left in full circle saying haw.

Repeat & always reward when he gets it right.

Eventually you can get him to turn with a small gesture (or non) by just verbal command.

Then try it out on walks - with noise, distractions, cars, other stuff...and keep this when just walking by your side too, saying gee to turn right off the path onto another path....and vice versa. Eventually you won't need to change sides. I practice heel work from both sides with both - either on each side, or both on right or left.

Chester is always on the right of Eski as this is how I will run them in the dryland rig....

Then try him in harness on a longer lead and also trying him ahead of you and say the commands gee, haw....

Also work on 'steady' to slow down to a real slow pace incl walking... to Whoa! STOP..Sit! I do this at all curbs before crossing a road or pathway...then reward when he turns to you with treat.

'Walk on' is just that...'good dog!' Or 'yes!'...no need to reward once he's going and you will find you can 'carry on' - he'll love the praise too.

Always reward a successful behaviour within 3 seconds so bum bag with treats in... or pockets full.

Once he's clocked you have treats encourage him to watch YOU by saying 'watch me' and fingers to eyes...Reward and praise....

Stop in your tracks when he gets distracted or goes to move off course.

Turning back the way you came - watch him; when he looks up at you....'Yes!' and reward...you can turn back again this time using gee or haw whichever way YOU turn and continue. He'll get the message to watch you ...

They are so intelligent and get easily bored so keep him on his toes....don't let complacency get to him.

Restart the walk with a treat to 'walk on'.

Getting his Focus:

This can be started indoors..with him down on floor in front of you.

No words.

Place treat on floor close to your foot.

If he moves towards it...cover it fast with foot.

Make him move back again and down. No words.

Remove foot. Wait. If he moves again...cover it. No words.

WHEN he lifts his eyes off the treat to LOOKING at you immediately say 'Yes!' and reward, (treat from hand NOT the one on the floor, with 'watch me!' (Fingers to eyes).

Repeat till he ignores the treat completely where ever you put it but keeps his eyes ON you.

I can now have spills or drops of food or the whole bag of treats on the floor and neither will touch them. They'll 'wait' for me to pick everything up..

THEN get a treat.

Success is in them focusing on you, not with a distraction.. any distraction inside or outside.

Make him 'wait' before you go out that door.

'Walk on' - you're in charge.

This goes a long way to when you're outside even if in front later as his ears will be twitching to focus on you.

Do a lot of this...'go by/on by' is to ignore everything else especially wanting to sniff that post or telegraph post or bush!

Reward for good behaviour...ignore and pull him along back to 'heel'.

'OK' before he reaches that interesting place tells him you're happy for him to go nosey round, make his mark etc but be equally firm when you don't want him to.

Thanks to 'Positive Reward' training via www.successdogs.com' with Jean Cote online. ?

I've also started with recall any time anywhere when I'm indoors (or out ..and they're not near me.

I have a whistle..or I tap on the window. (Treats everywhere on high surfaces or window sills, cupboards.....)

When they come running - Chester is always fastest and first with Eski almost sauntering behind....they get treats...and 'GOOD BOY COME! GOOD GIRL COME!' and a fuss then told - ' go on...off you go'! They're getting faster.....!

Often...regularly....any time ...it becomes a habit to come...although I wouldn't trust them off lead, I feel it 'just.might.work' if a lead comes off or a collar breaks....and they'll turn without thinking and come straight to me....I really dream this!

Heard off Bruce Hall that running dogs in rigs are used to ribboned /marked trails or, at least a visual trail....of sorts...

Last year one of the runs had a clear run across an open field to then rejoin the 'trail'.....again.

There was mayhem on the field as ALL dog rigs went everywhere once they were in the field!...

lesson learned...mark that trail.....☺

If you plan on running the dogs on sled, bike or scooter, I would also incorporate gee-around, haw-around (turn around to your right, turn around to your left), whoa, stop, and line out.

Line out is very important. Basically what you are asking is for the husky to keep the line taught so it doesn't become entangled in the wheel of the bike. You'll also want to teach it so that the husky doesn't turn back to the sled or scooter and make a tangled mess.

Teaching line out is simple. Just put your husky in harness and tie them to a tree.  Stand in front of them to get them to line out and then move very slowly to their right or left, eventually you are standing behind them and they are facing away from you. Their instinct is, of course, to turn with you as you move around them. The 'trick' is to have them stay facing the initial way you placed them without turning toward you. Praise like crazy when they do the task. Start with a 15 second line out and work your way up. As I have just two huskies, two minutes is all I need to get them in position and return to the scooter/sled/bike. I know folks with six huskies who are running them and they ask theirs to line out for 20 minutes at a time.

We've all seen pics of huskies screaming at the end of the line, anxious to pull the sled/scooter/bike. My girls are expected to line out quietly. I want no jumping, howling and screaming. Why? Because it is wasted energy. I want that energy for the run, not while I prepare for it.

• 8 years later...
On 3/20/2015 at 4:47 PM, Austinville said:

If you plan on running the dogs on sled, bike or scooter, I would also incorporate gee-around, haw-around (turn around to your right, turn around to your left), whoa, stop, and line out.

Line out is very important. Basically what you are asking is for the husky to keep the line taught so it doesn't become entangled in the wheel of the bike. You'll also want to teach it so that the husky doesn't turn back to the sled or scooter and make a tangled mess.

Teaching line out is simple. Just put your husky in harness and tie them to a tree.  Stand in front of them to get them to line out and then move very slowly to their right or left, eventually you are standing behind them and they are facing away from you. Their instinct is, of course, to turn with you as you move around them. The 'trick' is to have them stay facing the initial way you placed them without turning toward you. Praise like crazy when they do the task. Start with a 15 second line out and work your way up. As I have just two huskies, two minutes is all I need to get them in position and return to the scooter/sled/bike. I know folks with six huskies who are running them and they ask theirs to line out for 20 minutes at a time.

We've all seen pics of huskies screaming at the end of the line, anxious to pull the sled/scooter/bike. My girls are expected to line out quietly. I want no jumping, howling and screaming. Why? Because it is wasted energy. I want that energy for the run, not while I prepare for it.

How do you get them to line out quietly? Without all the jumping, howling and screaming?😅