Please Help. Cheap Nasty Laptop Is Giving Me Grief

stormchaser09

Hi, I bought my son a cheap laptop for Christmas ( as he tends to break everything he touches) and it is driving me insane. It had a free trial of macafee installed and he has only been on it a few times and the rest I have been trying to remove pop ups telling me it is blocking unwanted programs. I tried a malware remover thingy and it all seemed fine but tonight when he tried to get online it tells me ' the remote device or resource won't accept the connection. In frustration I did a system restore and now it still won't log on and the pop ups are back. I am seriously thinking of chucking it tin the recycle bin and buying another. It is a toshiba cheap thing from Argos.

HELP anyone please !!!!

For a start, get Macafee off that computer, just uninstall it, it's going to be slowing your computer down. The computer should come with Microsoft security essentials which is all you really need. Do a scan with the essentials and see if anything comes up.

I think you will have to download MSE from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download. MSE is not generally considered to be that good as an anti-virus product - http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/384394/microsoft-security-essentials-is-designed-to-be-bottom-of-the-antivirus-rankings - although it is what I use.

also download and install CCleaner it's free and helps get rid of lots of nasty things that sit and run in the background

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Thats the one I have used - I think half the problem is that I am just not familiar with windows 8. My own laptop is still on windows 7 and I am happy with it.

I got rid of windows 8 and reinstalled windows 7

I can sympathise

As someone else mentioned, I'd get rid of McAfee too, nothing but a pile of junk. By default, Windows 8 has it's own built in antivirus; Windows Defender which is actually a rebrand of Microsoft Security Essentials so no need to download/install anything, you only need to do it on Windows 7 and below. Refer to this link to find out how to turn it on (if it's off):

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020260/how-to-activate-windows-defender-in-windows-8.html

It seems you've already downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which is good, it should pickup some of the nasty adware that's causing the popups. Please note that the free version does not have active protection (unless you use the 30-day trial) and only allows for scanning on demand. Another tool I recommend for removing nasty popups and bad extensions from browsers is AdwCleaner. It's gained massive popularity recently because of how awesome it is. Please note that it's a one-off-use tool and doesn't require any install so only download it when you need it as it updates on the website often.

Lastly, consider using a browser with an Adblock extension. It will block out ads that you (or your child[ren]) may click on by accident and end up installing some nasty stuff. If you feel bad for rejecting a website of it's revenue you can easily unblock it for that specific website. For Chrome, I recommend Adblock and for Firefox, I recommend AdBlock Plus.

• 5 years later...

It is clear that your computer needs a optimization to be able to work in a regular way. You can find some optimization softwares, but it is important to be informed for choosing the right one. I am sure that this is a right way to make your PC to work faster because I was in your situation and fortunately my friend helped me with a link (https://thinkmobiles.com/blog/best-pc-optimization-software/). There I could find more details about the work of these programs and could choose the one that perfectly matched with my computer so I solved the problem and now my PC run all the programs without problems.

10 hours ago, JonathanButler said:

What OS do you running on?

Seeing that this thread is over 5 years old I doubt that the laptop is giving anymore grief....

• Laughing 1

• 1 year later...

Never buy cheap laptops. The internal hardware will cause a lot of problems. Expect a slow processor, which will show up while running modern software. Minimal RAM for Windows, and certainly not much graphics power. This can make even web browsing very tedious.

Some cheap laptops even have eMMC storage, which is similar to an SSD because it is solid-state storage but, unlike an SSD, very, very slow. And there is a good chance that you can lose all your data at any moment. And you will have to do raid configurations.

7 minutes ago, carisobol2 said:

Never buy cheap laptops. The internal hardware will cause a lot of problems. Expect a slow processor, which will show up while running modern software. Minimal RAM for Windows, and certainly not much graphics power. This can make even web browsing very tedious.

Some cheap laptops even have eMMC storage, which is similar to an SSD because it is solid-state storage but, unlike an SSD, very, very slow. And there is a good chance that you can lose all your data at any moment. And you will have to do raid configurations.

people buy what they can afford if that is a cheap laptop then so be it...