"dominance" In Dogs

Jase

That line means: Dr. Yin was a leader in dog training. Trainers such as Victoria Stillwell, and others who support positive reinforcement, admire her very much.

But the article as a whole does not discuss whether positive reinforcement is recommended or not. It's talking about the misconception of "dominance"

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That line means: Dr. Yin was a leader in dog training. Trainers such as Victoria Stillwell, and others who support positive reinforcement, admire her very much.

But the article as a whole does not discuss whether positive reinforcement is recommended or not. It's talking about the misconception of "dominance"

Yes sorry :( , I was in a hurry and i didn't read the article, but I just finish to read it and I commented many lines of the article about.In short,  I disagree with it in many parts. :)

"Why do you think the dog chases the cat? Is he trying to "dominate" it?", I don't think he wanna dominate him, but or he plays or rather eat him. He cannot dominate him because are different species, different smell, different territory. The dog hunt the cat, because they chase fast moving prays.

Dominance is not a personality trait I disagree with that, in a pack of wolf for example the puppy that is dominant is visible from the very young age. in human too. 

Having a stable rank does not mean the situation is peaceful, I disagree when everybody knows their role, everything works better  eg: Marines, Navy... or when a gang loses the boss of a certain area there is when start to see dead bodies around (for instance Andrangheta in Italy). So I strongly disagree with this sentence. 

Wolves in the wild generally do not gain their high rank by fighting their way to the tophttp://www.wolfhowl.org/behavior.phpthis article say rather opposite:" The pack alpha is deposed by the pack, which means forcefully removed form the pack or one wolf seeks to dominate another challenge is made and if the challenged Wolf does not submit a fight may result to determine which Wolf is superior. Repeatedly winning these contests result in a reputation within the pack, making the dominating Wolf the pack leader." 

> So, where the dominance-based (Millan) method is to get the dog to act aggressive and then show him that you’re the boss with an alpha-roll or collar tightening around the neck: Strongly disagree with this. Millan don't let the dog being aggressive. But, the dog is aggressive and he correct this. 

Dogs are smart enough to distinguish which people can physically dominate or control them and which people cannot.: This is not be smart, but it is about energy level, dogs know if you are a pack leader or not. If you don't have such energy and stamina and leading skills necessary to own a pitbull, you should rather take a small size breed. Millan says always you have to take a dog that match your level of energy, stamina, and personality. If you own a pitbull but you are a chihuahua in the life, he will probably dominate you.