Will Scotland Get Independence ?

MarkoMKD

Today the Scotish public are voting as to whether they want to gain independence or remain a part of the UK.  That's pretty much all I know right now. Voting is up to 10pm tonight I think, so will probably know more some time after that. 

They said this morning that the "no" campaign won with a 55% majority nationally. meaning that Scotland will stay part of the UK.

That's not the end of it though as now they'll be thrashing out how things will work politically and also how much financial backing England is going to continue to give. I'm sure there's a lot more to it but that's the main two things that the news reporters were focussing on this morning. Time will tell, I suppose.

I saw that too. I think it's a good thing it didn't pass. They made their point and and I think changes are going to happen but like an article I read if it would have passed then it would have been final, but those for independence can try again and may get more of what they are seeking.

From what I have been hearing today, the vote means that England will be getting some devolved powers. Scotland/Wales are generally not happy about this.

Nope. Scotland will be getting some devolved powers not england. Enlgland doesnt need devolved powers, we're the main UK government

Nope. Scotland will be getting some devolved powers not england. Enlgland doesnt need devolved powers, we're the main UK government

Scottish/Welsh/NI MPs still get to vote on English laws. That is meant to be changing because Scotland has been promised more powers (such as being able to set the income tax rate). http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29281819

Do you think it will rest.. Nope, round 2 will commence And I really hope its not bitter... Peace is the best way forward for the people and not for people with an axe to grind.  nobody owns or owes anybody anything. we just need to be for everybody.  Do un to others as you would have done to your family.  Sorry I just do not understand politics and its harmful bi products

Scottish/Welsh/NI MPs still get to vote on English laws. That is meant to be changing because Scotland has been promised more powers (such as being able to set the income tax rate). http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29281819

I know, what I was saying is its not England which will be getting devolved powers, they already have them. Its scotland which will get 'more' devolved powers.

Actually scotland already has the ability to control as per the last devolusion powers they were given.

• income tax higher or lower by 3p in the pound  An ability I should add that they have never decided to use even though they have it.
  • They also have power over their rail network
  • planning &conservation
  • anything at sea on their coasts apart from fishing oil and gas licensing (other forms of power such as wind farms are included)
  • job creation targets and goals are controlled by the scottish government
  • any cultural and sporting facilities funding and events
  • funding and running of the education system (through budgets from the treasury)
  • rural development
  • health department with the exception of embyology, surrogacy & abortion
  • housing and planning including regeneration projects
  • criminal justice system (internal only)
  • local government
  • Transport services

And this is before they try and get any further powers. See these are the things that its supprising how many people still to this day dont know even though there has just been a referendum on independance. Essentially they are fighting for the right to control their own immigration and social security funds as well as their own moneytary policies. Its a shame but people simply havent been educated enough about what does and doesnt happen in their country, let alone how they would be affected by independance