F1 Pit Radio Clamp Down

Marc

So the you F1 people. What do you think of the new rules on pit radios?

For those who havent heard yet, basically they are banning, from the next race, any conversation with the pits related to the driving of the car. So we wont get any more of the "You still have your foot on the clutch after the breaking points" and "You could pick up a 10th if you try to do this" from the pit lane anymore which personally I think is a good thing.

“In order to ensure that the requirements of Article 20.1 of the F1 Sporting Regulations is respected at all times we intend to rigorously enforce this regulation with immediate effect,” Whiting wrote.

“Therefore no radio conversation from pit to driver may include any information that is related to the performance of the car or driver.”

Whiting added that teams cannot get round it by sending information in other forms: “We should also remind you that data transmission from pit to car is specifically prohibited by Article 8.5.2 of the F1 Technical Regulations.”

so if the driver is reporting a problem he is experiencing, the pit team can't tell him what they can see on their readouts? Happens in bike racing so why not, I guess

Don't think its so much that as they have stated that safety related they can talk about, however this would be technical problems not "my tires are going off" then the pit crew telling them to change to a different setting to reduce tire wear.