Using a sled on a beach - would it work?

I'd love to get a sled one day, and we're lucky that we have a good few long, sandy beaches nearby. In my world of logic I would think that a sled would work better on the sand than a scooter or rig does, but would it? Sand is fairly similar to snow and ice for the runners? The only problem I could see really would be stopping, don't know if the brake would dig in enough.

Has anyone ever tried a sled on sand, or do you think it would work?

Would have thought as sand is abrasive, it would knacker up the runners pretty quickly. You'd be better off getting something specifically designed for sand. Rigs are fine on hard, wet sand, just rinse off well afterwards to get rid of the salt. Otherwise, hunt out something like a wind buggy for dry soft sand.

I've never tried, but I don't think a normal sled with runners would work on sand - especially if it was soft. It might work on the kind of hard, wet sand you sometimes get in estuaries, but even then, as Lyn says, it would ruin your runners pretty quickly.

What might work is a toboggan - a sled with a flat bottom, rather than runners. It wouldn't dig in to the sand and would spread the weight more effectively, lessening the friction.

Mick

toboggan it is then for you karen! Can someone video your first time please biggrin.gif

Yeah sure. Do you think I'm gonna trust my lot pulling me on a toboggan? How would the brakes work on that?

See, I knew my logic had to be flawed somewhere, it was just too obvious for nobody else to be using them on the sandlaugh.gif

Ah well, back to the drawing board.

Would have thought as sand is abrasive, it would knacker up the runners pretty quickly. You'd be better off getting something specifically designed for sand. Rigs are fine on hard, wet sand, just rinse off well afterwards to get rid of the salt. Otherwise, hunt out something like a wind buggy for dry soft sand.

Ohhh this is an awsome idea! And a wind buggy has breaks aswell doesnt it!? Karen I think you should try this one!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

this is an interesting concept and i live 2 mins from the beach.. i have a fiberglass kyak that i hadly use well i have 2 one i use one i dont. the fiberglass is light and very smooth.. not sure how i would hook the dogs too this but im now highly intruiged.. ... Hmmmmm sorry to re-awaken an old thread but i see potential rolleyes.gif

I have heard of this being done but not recently. However, you might want to see if you can find the video called "Ski The Beach." I tried to YouTube it just now but couldn't come up with anything. However I remeber seeing it a couple of years ago - it was about cross country sking on the beach.

A