Natural Balance?

This is currently what I feed my Corgi mix and was curious if this was fine to feed a Sibe or if I should get a different brand for my pup? Currently my pup is on Iams but I aim to change that when I get her as that is not the best food (my opinion no insult to anyone intended). No one in my area sells Taste of the Wild but a shop near us sells something similar but I'm kinda iffy on it.

I used the TOTW Where to Buy and found 22 retail sources for TOTW within 15 miles of Tacoma. http://www.tasteofth...dealer_locator/

It may be that none of the dealers stock it, but could order it. If that's the case, it can be a pain. I have to travel 30 miles from home to get it, but a 30 lb bag lasts me about six weeks.

I'm not familiar with Natural Balance. Iams would not be something I'd want to feed a pup. We started Zoya on Nutro Ultra Large Breed Puppy, and she did real well with that, but developed dry skin. We switched her to TOTW between 9 and 10 months. She has done extremely well on TOTW.

You should visit http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com and do some comparisons of foods. They list the ingredients, and have reviews on the foods.

I would look for a grain free food. Rice is fline and so is barley, but some dog foods start putting too many forms of rice in the food, and that amounts to filler. Also, wheat is a good one to avoid. Wheat is a source of alergies for some dogs. Also corn. Dogs don't digest corn very well, and it simply is a filler, goes through them, is a source of toxins if not properly handled.

I like to see three sources of meat for protein, some fruits like blueberries, sweet potatoes are also good.

Now, another consideration, perhaps later in your Husky's life would be BARF (bones and raw food). I won't mess with it, because I don't know enough about it, don't have the time to deal with it, and find if what I'm feeding my dog works fine, I'm just not going to switch. But you may want to look into that for down the road a piece. Puppies have so many nutritional needs that feeding BARF may risk missing something essential if you are not up on what contains what.

Thanks Mazz I did already go to that site a while back while checking out different diets before I found the breeder for my pup. Natural Balance is a 4 star food and is completely grain free. It's an allergen free formula so I was just wondering if that would be good for my girl ^_^ I have been looking into BARF for a while now but I just don't feel comfortable myself using it lol. Thanks for the link though I didn't even know the website had that lol I'll deffinately check that out!

Sarah I just added a couple pics of my Foxy enjoy ^_^

i think if u want 2 feed ur sibe the same as ur corgi (who is lovely btw) then go for it just make sure its a puppy 1 not an adult food - ur pup will let u no if its not good for it as unfortunately they have sensitive stomachs n what goes in will come out with the runs :(

I work at Petco and I know quite a bit about natural balance. I think it's a great food and your dog should do well on it. I had Pongo on Iams at first too (large breed puppy formula to be exact). we unfortunately still had digestion issues with iams, not quite as bad as the others but still not good. We tried taste of the wild and it didn't help either. The only food that we found to keep his stool firm and to soften his coat was Wellness large breed puppy. I love wellness and wouldn't go back to another food, but natural balance is great for many reasons:

1. if your pup has any allergies they have limited ingredient formulas which have one protein source and one grain source

2. it has all natural ingredients

3. no by-products like chicken feet and such

4. has a protein as it's first ingredient

5. will help improve your dog's coat

6. will help your dog have E.S.P= eat less, shed less, poop less. natural foods are great because there is more nutrition per bite and they don't need to eat as much

7. the food is made for all life stages- there's no puppy formula, senior formula etc.

If you try the food I know there is a money back guarantee so the store will take it back no questions asked. Wellness also has this guarantee.

Oh! I almost forgot both natural balance and wellness have no soy in them as I read huskies cannot tolerate soy.

Hope this helped a little!smile.gif

Thank you so much Lyn! I really do appreciate that information. I'll check out Wellness as well lol you can never be to prepared I think ^_~ It must be really interesting working at Petco. I love our local Petco and like the company better than Petsmart oddly enough.

LOL thanks. I caught her one day sleeping up there but I can't seem to find the picture. My dad went with me to get the perch and he asked why I needed it since I don't have cats. When I told him my poor girl is to big for the narrow windowsill he cracked up. She just loves to watch the world outside; reminds me of a cat actually lol.

I know several people who feed their husky Natural Balance. As always if you are going to switch her do it slowly over the course of a week especially if your pup is stressed from a change of environment. I would actually wait for a few weeks after getting her before attempting to make the switch. Last thing you need durring that time is another source of stress for the poor pup.

I actual feed my pup Iams Healthy Naturals Puppy. Much better than the normal Iams. It was strongly suggested by my vet which is funny because he has a deal with Science Diet. My Vet said that its better for dogs that are prone to digestive issues such as Diareah and Soft Stool.

I also Use Iams Healthy Naturals now, and my boys love it. we havent had any problems since I started giving them this food.

Mine just plain wouldnt touch Iams Large Breed Puppy. I also Buy "the Honest Kitchen" embark food, and my boys love it. It is

especially good if you want to give them something natural with no fillers or gluten, and is comparable to feeding a raw foods

diet, as it is all the best ingredients, fresh and dehydrated. All you do is add water wait 10 minutes, and your pup will go wild.

I also found that embark and their other puppy food, doesnt cause the embarrassing side effects of diarreah and stuff the way

switching foods usually does if you use mainly kibble. Mine eat the embark in the morning, and the iams naturals in the evening.

I also Use Iams Healthy Naturals now, and my boys love it. we havent had any problems since I started giving them this food.

Mine just plain wouldnt touch Iams Large Breed Puppy. I also Buy "the Honest Kitchen" embark food, and my boys love it. It is

especially good if you want to give them something natural with no fillers or gluten, and is comparable to feeding a raw foods

diet, as it is all the best ingredients, fresh and dehydrated. All you do is add water wait 10 minutes, and your pup will go wild.

I also found that embark and their other puppy food, doesnt cause the embarrassing side effects of diarreah and stuff the way

switching foods usually does if you use mainly kibble. Mine eat the embark in the morning, and the iams naturals in the evening.

Now I'm curious Erika, Whats the reason behind to different foods? Its something I have never really put much thought into doing.

Well I hope you arent put off by what i feed my guys but really I feed both because chewy could easily take 4 1/2 cups of honest kitchen a day.

Please keep in mind he is 70 lbs strong, and always hugry, lol. The thing that does irritate me about dog food of any kind these days is that it

doesnt come in bigger bags, or larger amounts. The largest bag in any of the foods that I would have liked to feed my boys is 33 pounds. For

two dogs that really only lasts 2 to 3 weeks, and I found that for my money I was either not going to have enough, including with honest

kitchen, eventhough you can buy 40 to 43 pound boxes, 2 dogs eat through that quick especially when 1 eats twice as much as the other. for

me it just makes sense, and also I like that they still get kibble since its good for their teeth too. Not only that but chewy is a picky eater and

likes the honest kitchen food better & it seems that solo just likes the kibble better. For me its an akward situation, but if you have just one

young pup, i would actually recommend either of the foods.

If your pup has a sensitive tummy and isnt tolerating rich foods, gluten and by products, either food is good for eliminating those issues.

Oh and just as a side note, when I got solo I didnt know it but he was food sensitive. He also had really heavy

tear marks, his teeth looked awful and his skin was very dry. Putting him on the Honest kitchen (which chewy

was on already) and switching to iams healthy naturals...cleared up all of those issues. I didnt have to buy any

tear be gone junk and didnt have to do a zillion vet visits either, so I just stuck to what I started.

Well I hope you arent put off by what i feed my guys but really I feed both because chewy could easily take 4 1/2 cups of honest kitchen a day.

Please keep in mind he is 70 lbs strong, and always hugry, lol.

Not put off at all. Was just curious. Kino at 30 lbs goes through three cups a day. I end up going through about a bag and 1/2 a month(15.5 lb Bags). Once he hits 6 months I'm going to switch off puppy to the Iams Healthy Naturals Lamb and Rice or the chicken one and then i can get 35lb Bags.

Thank you so much Lyn! I really do appreciate that information. I'll check out Wellness as well lol you can never be to prepared I think ^_~ It must be really interesting working at Petco. I love our local Petco and like the company better than Petsmart oddly enough.

Yeah working at Petco is fun! I didn't really know much about pet food until I started working there. They actually train us on what the difference between natural food and other food is which is nice. I'm glad to hear you like us better than petsmart, that's what we strive for. our prices might be more, but it actually pays for the amount of training they give us. smile.gif I love knowing our customers leave with some new information. It's just disappointing when someone comes in saying they got a new siberian husky pup and they wanna feed it puppy chow... and they won't listen to you because they don't want to spend a little more on food. The odd thing is I have yet to see these couple of husky pups in store... They should be about 3 months now. On another note, I believe wellness is on sale right now (at our store it is), if not I know their website has coupons for $3 offbiggrin.gif