16 Year Old In F1.

goingsolo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28844722

Torro Rosso have announced that Max Verstappen will replace Verne next season. He is 16!! Ok he will be 17 by the time the season starts but still, am I the only one think he is too young and inexperienced to drive such a fast car. In Holland you cant drive until 18, here its 17. Surely a few more years in the lower formulas wont hurt.

Dont think it matters what the age if the tallent is there tbh. I think its good for some of these guys to be given the chance in F1, especially at the moment in a world of paid drivers.

I see where you're coming from, Tina, I have 2 sons older than that & I would still worry but if he is good enough, then why not? He wouldn't have been put forward if they didn't think he was capable, even with all the money in the world of racing they don't want to be repairing / replacing a top grade car every week. There are still car & motorbike riders, extremely successful that have never passed a road test & therefore cannot legally drive on the road - surprises me. 

He's the same age as my son then. Tbh I would worry that he would end up in a fatal collision. But then I'm viewing this from an overprotective mothers perspective so not exactly unbiased, Lol.

I think F1 is safer than every day driving so that shouldn't be a concern.

I like it, maybe I'm biased cos I was rooting for his dad in that orange Arrows, but if the talent is there, then why stop him, he should race if they think he's good enough. If I remember correctly Kimi wasn't much more experienced, maybe even less, when he came into F1...

Peter Sauber gave the Finn a test with the Sauber Formula One team in September 2000 at the Mugello Circuit.[9] After further tests in Jerez and Barcelona, Sauber signed Räikkönen for the 2001 season. However, some critics (including FIA president Max Mosley) voiced concerns over granting an F1 Super Licence to such an inexperienced driver; Räikkönen had only 23 car races to his credit. He was nevertheless granted his license and scored a championship point in his debut at the 2001 Australian Grand Prix. Reportedly, Räikkönen was asleep 30 minutes before the race.[10]

Räikkönen had a solid debut year, achieving four points-scoring finishes and eight finishes in the top eight. Completing the year with 9 points, Räikkönen, along with teammate Nick Heidfeld, helped Sauber to what was then its best result of fourth place in the constructors' championship.