bits chopped off v bits left on

yeap talkin about castration, anybody have any views on this, had my shih tzu done cause is was said havin a male dog done calms them down, didnt make a damm bit of difference lol, what do you think?????

Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't!

Sometimes it doesn't even take the sex drive away. Many years ago, our old crossbreed, Ben, who had been castrated for 5 years, mated and tied with an in-season bitch. We didn't think it was possible, so didn't separate them off. Obviously no puppies resulted as the old boy was firing blanks, but it was a worrying experience.

I think it depends on a variety of things - if you show your dogs, they are expected to be entire. If you race them, then (I have been told, although I have no direct experience) that entire dogs/bitches run better than neutered ones. Having said that the Chukchi neutered all their dogs except the very best. What I have noticed is that speyed bitches tend to put weight on very easily and their coats become thicker.....

Mick

i've been wondering this, Kimba's not been doctored yet but when Kaizer comes, will Kimba become more agressive? Can't see this to be honest, he's very submissive, if we come across another dog on a walk that jumps up to him he either sits down next to me or lies on the floor.

It's healthier for the dogs to get them done though i think, can reduce the risk of prostate caner?

my two are castrated, they were done at 6 months, and i know not every one agrees with having them done this early, but i'd read that as they were litter mates, they were likely to fight if i didn't and a lot of peeps end up rehoming one because of it, so they were done and can't say its calmed them but they don't fight, only ever had one and that was before they were done over a bone. they did meet a dog on heat the other week and took no notice of her that way, but if reno gets too excited he does hump mikito and when we are out lots of male dogs try and hump them which they don't like. they were getting a bit podgy as well, not sure if this was due to being done or not, but have cut their intake down a little.

At the moment my 3 are not castrated yet but Im planning on getting them done soon. When I got Gizmo I asked Anita if it made any difference to them being done and she said it does work on occasions but not on all dogs.

Sometimes it's not just a case of having them castrated for behaviour purposes but also for health purposes. If you aint going to breed from them, then allowing them to keep their 'manhood' can cause prostate cancer over time. Here is some info about it for you: http://www.animalhospitals-usa.com/dogs/cancer_prostate.html (I know its not a UK site but its the same illness). It wasn't just the owrry of my 3 getting this but I also plan on getting a female sometime in the future so I would rather get them done now, before I get a female as it will most likely be a rescue female that I go for (even though they are so cute during puppy years!).

There is nothing set in stone saying that castrating a dog will definately calm them down as it can differ from dog to dog (as mentioned by raindog). When I was reading about the History of Huskies it did mention that the Chukchi tribes used to castrate all males apart from the alpha male as he was the breeding dog.

Basically, if you asked me I would say have them catrated, especially if they are not needing thier manhood.

From what I can make out speaking to the vets at work and others in the vet profession, castration will effect only the behaviours directly led by the dogs testosterone, if a dog is badly behaved castration will not effect its behaviour unless that behaviour is caused by testosterone, and then sometimes even after castration behaviour that was led by testosterone, can still continue because of "learnt" behaviour.I am myself inbetween a rock and a hard place regarding my own thoughts on castration, for health benefits I would like my dogs to be done BUT and here is the biggy, my females will NOT tollerate castrated males, I also have a very obvious pack hiaracy, this would totally get upset in how the pack lives together and will no doubt cause much sqabbling, so although in principle castration is good because of the health issues, in my case it is not an option.

Mo

Our experience has been that it does usually help cut down on "disagreements". Bandit, Nanook and Demon were all intact. Bandit was first in the house. Demon was introduced as a puppy and there were no problems even after Demon was an adult.. When Nook came along things got ugly between Bandit and Nook. And Demon got in the act too. Bandit would pick a fight with Nook and while that was going on demon would come up behind Nook and get a piece of a**. This resulted in some expensive vet bills. We came to the conclusion though that Demon wasn't after Nook . He was trying to pull him out of the fight. We came to this realization after he tore my wife's a** up a couple of times while she was trying to break Bandit and Nook up. We got all three clipped (group rates are great!) at the same time. Things quieted down for the most part though Bandit and Nook are not close friends. Demon is everybody's buddy. When Jake came into the fold he was already done and there was never any problems between him or the rest of the boys.

The girls has been pretty much the same. Other than the "alpha" thing, the girls have rarely had any problems with anyone but Rustie who was our "alpha" female and usually the one who started something. As she crossed the Bridge yesterday we are waiting to see what happens now. But so far so good.

I had my two boys done, it was horrowing for me to see them in pain, but a couple of days after they were ok.....I have noticed a huge difference in my two, they seem to be a lot calmer in themselves and so much more easier to manage, mind you it still dosent stop them doing the usual stuff like digging up the garden, eating the post, swinging off trees but i wouldnt have them any other way x x

I know i'm going to have to get kimba done but am going to feel sooooo bad taking him to the vets - it's like taking your kid for an operation, you know they're gonna hurt after, more excuses for cuddles i suppose lol

Phil - i'm so sorry to hear about Rustie xxxx

on a lighter note, after they were done, they had to wear those plastic collars and within two days reno had completely chewed mikitos to bits. i took it back to the vets with me and the receptionists said they had never seen one like it before, lol, so i had to buy some more for the duration and plenty of duct tape.:D

if the dogs are the type that mess with their stitches they are recommended to stay on until the stitches no longer can be messed with normally on a male they will put disolverble(sp) stitches in that over a period of time dissapear, if they are the type that need to be removed the collar should be on the 7 to 10 days that the vet usually requires the stitches to stay in.

Mo

Technically they can neuter a dog from eight weeks - shelters do it all the time.

However for a larger breed like a Sibe, they mature slower than smaller breeds, so I would personally not desex until around 12 months of age when they have done most of their growing.

Technically they can neuter a dog from eight weeks - shelters do it all the time.

However for a larger breed like a Sibe, they mature slower than smaller breeds, so I would personally not desex until around 12 months of age when they have done most of their growing.

The rescue I work at which is a large one will not neuter under the age of 6 months , although I have heard of some that neuter earlier than that, I know a couple of the pups I bred were neutered at 6 months, it did not effect their developement in any way, which is what some people are worried about, I personally preferr around 8 to 12 months.

Mo

The rescue I work at which is a large one will not neuter under the age of 6 months , although I have heard of some that neuter earlier than that, I know a couple of the pups I bred were neutered at 6 months, it did not effect their developement in any way, which is what some people are worried about, I personally preferr around 8 to 12 months.

Mo

So do, some don't... although every rescue I know always desexes pups even if it is early, because they refuse to sell an entire animal. The RSPCA here do, and so do many smaller shelters and rescues.

But yeah I'm with you - I prefer to wait until closer to 12 months. But I can totally see where rescues are coming from in desexing all the pups they home, the only guarantee you will ever have that the dog won't be bred from is to sell it desexed.