Why mince pies have no meat in them...

Smithy

Centuries ago the mince pie would have been a large dish filled with various meats such as chicken, partridge, pigeon, hare, capon, pheasant, rabbits, ox or lamb tongue, livers of the animals, and mutton meat mixed with fruits, peels and sugar. It was originally known as a Christmas Pye.

The oblong or square shape was said to resemble Jesus' cradle. A small doll made from pastry was placed on the top in the centre of the pie where the hollow indentation would be. These were known as Crib Pies.

google_protectAndRun("render_ads.js::google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);

During the Medieval Crusades the Crusaders returned to the UK with spices and these were gradually added to mince pies until over the years meat was fully replaced by the spices. At around this time it was thought that the shape changed from oblong to round and the size made smaller.

Simples...

Courtesy of mincepieclub.co.uk

I saw mince pies everywhere last week while in the UK. I like mince pie. Not sure I'd like the ones from eons ago with the meat in them.