Marking That Iv Never Seen

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, I'm about 2 hours from the Montana border - I assume from his markings and type that he is from working lines?

so you have the same weather going on? and im not sure. He's the 1st husky iv owned. and so far i love it. he keeps me on my toes. but as for the markings and pattern, I have no idea. Iv been searching for ansewrs but no has evere seen one like him except Gray on here lol

My neighbor's husky x has a marking like that... I had to look twice to make sure my eyes aren't going crazy :lol: he's a distant neighbor though so I don't know the dog's family small chance I'd ever get a pic :(

Welcome to the pack btw :) xxx

Hidden

You say you have his pedigree? Is the name Copperhead on there? He looks like a merle to me, which means he has a herding breed somewhere in there. 

This doesn't matter since you go him from a shelter/lrescue, but if you buy a puppy, its a marking you want to avoid like the plague.

I picked him up from a guy that couldn't handle him cause he was never home and couldn't give him the time he needed. He was also mean to him that's why my buddy is so skidish:( but he got him from a breeder. And he gave me the papers for him. I just have to go reregester him..

What is this copperhead you speak of? And this herding breed? Should I worry!?

Interesting Jaimie, is this an actual merle coat pattern then? Nate, I assume copperhead is a kennel name that Jaimie thinks might appear on your dogs pedigree. Herding breeds are dogs like the Australian Sheppard in which merle coat patterns are perfectly acceptable. In Siberian huskies they are a fault and an typically are considered a indication of crossbreeding.

His papers say Siberian husky. If he is cross bred it would have to be way back in his blood line. Cause his brother and sister look normal. And honestly, now that ya say that if ya look at a shepherds coat and look at duke they are similar.

It kinda explains the patchiness.. Could this be why he's also learning so fast? Or are husky a fast learner a to? Cause I got him coming and sitting in less then a day!

Ok. I now I have ran into two problems!

1st problem. Crate training! Anyone got any tips? If I say bed he will go get it in his crate/cage. But as soon as I shut the door he freaks out! He barks, howls, winnes and moves around in circles untill I let him out. He just won't stop.

2nd problem. He listens to me great. More and more everyday. But he won't listen to my wife. Shes trying so hard. But he looks at me like "what is this woman doing" kinda look. Ahah.

Any tips! Tomoro will be his 1st day alone and I would love to get him trained. Iv just ran out of ideas!

So for the crate training, invest in a good pair of ear plugs LOL. Start with short periods of time and slowly work your way up to longer periods during the day. At night, other than potty breaks, pretty much you have to will yourself through it. Nobody crate trains a puppy overnight or in 24 hours. Make sure he has what he needs, and maybe an old t-shirt or rag with your  scent on it (most likely if it wasn't, it will be a rag very soon), and then deal with it, he will get over it. There are several threads on here on crate training - make sure you get a good one, as they can often destroy them in an effort to get out.

In regards to the wife, start having her feed him and have her make him sit before he gets food. Have her walk him and make him listen, if he doesn't listen, have her put him in timeout. He needs to learn that she is also in charge of him, not just you.

Again, several threads on here can give you more details than what I posted, but that is the basic idea.

So for the crate training, invest in a good pair of ear plugs LOL. Start with short periods of time and slowly work your way up to longer periods during the day. At night, other than potty breaks, pretty much you have to will yourself through it. Nobody crate trains a puppy overnight or in 24 hours. Make sure he has what he needs, and maybe an old t-shirt or rag with your  scent on it (most likely if it wasn't, it will be a rag very soon), and then deal with it, he will get over it. There are several threads on here on crate training - make sure you get a good one, as they can often destroy them in an effort to get out.

In regards to the wife, start having her feed him and have her make him sit before he gets food. Have her walk him and make him listen, if he doesn't listen, have her put him in timeout. He needs to learn that she is also in charge of him, not just you.

Again, several threads on here can give you more details than what I posted, but that is the basic idea.

well then i think Im set on the cage/crate training cause thats what iv been doing. lol. but at night he sleeps on a pillow beside our bed. oddly he doesn't even try to get in our bed when we are in it. only when we get up does he attempt to get in lol..

could I clicker train him? i don't wana make him more skittish than what he is all ready.. and he goes to the vet Wensday! 

I want to say this site is awsome! everyone on here deserves a cookie! lol :D cause everyone is so helpful! thank you so much!

well then i think Im set on the cage/crate training cause thats what iv been doing. lol. but at night he sleeps on a pillow beside our bed. oddly he doesn't even try to get in our bed when we are in it. only when we get up does he attempt to get in lol..

could I clicker train him? i don't wana make him more skittish than what he is all ready.. and he goes to the vet Wensday! 

I want to say this site is awsome! everyone on here deserves a cookie! lol :D cause everyone is so helpful! thank you so much!

yes you can clicker train :) don't think it'll affect his confidence. 

About Duke only listening to you: how long have you had him again? Huskies... I mean, at least my husky... are very unique. They don't always do what you want them to do whenever wherever. But over time, by body language reading, you'd be able to tell whether he's in "responsive" mood or in "ignorant" mood. Of course, the presence of treats change that mood in a heartbeat, but they can also be in responsive mood without the presence of cheese :) maybe your wife just doesn't catch him in the right mood. Or she's not using the hand signal/tone the dog has already associated with a command. Make sure your wife knows every signal and tone you use for Duke's commands. Also get her involved in training. Might as well create her own signal and command! :)

yes you can clicker train :) don't think it'll affect his confidence. 

About Duke only listening to you: how long have you had him again? Huskies... I mean, at least my husky... are very unique. They don't always do what you want them to do whenever wherever. But over time, by body language reading, you'd be able to tell whether he's in "responsive" mood or in "ignorant" mood. Of course, the presence of treats change that mood in a heartbeat, but they can also be in responsive mood without the presence of cheese :) maybe your wife just doesn't catch him in the right mood. Or she's not using the hand signal/tone the dog has already associated with a command. Make sure your wife knows every signal and tone you use for Duke's commands. Also get her involved in training. Might as well create her own signal and command! :)

Iv had him since friday night and it is now tuesday morning. Saturday he wouldn't listen to a thing. which is understandable cause i took him a way from his doggy friend and the original owner. so he was all confused and what not.. now sunday... wow sunday was a good day. With in a few hours of working with him I had him coming and sitting. oh and he was letting me know when he needed out! Yesterday was the 1st day my wife(Tommie) was home with him alone. She was getting frustrated. When i got home i Helped her a little bit. I could hear the tone difference so i knew that he could. She changed her tone and it help a little.. i can tell that he's bonded with me. i just really hope he'll bond with her to!

So i come home on my lunch break to find him laying on the couch sleeping! cage door wide open bent almost 45degrees. Nothing in the house touched of messed up. maybe cause he has toys and bone? So what should i do! just let him stay out? or keep trying the cage?

try him without if u can just make sure anything valuable is out of the way and ALL wires are unplugged see how he gets on

Iv had him since friday night and it is now tuesday morning. Saturday he wouldn't listen to a thing. which is understandable cause i took him a way from his doggy friend and the original owner. so he was all confused and what not.. now sunday... wow sunday was a good day. With in a few hours of working with him I had him coming and sitting. oh and he was letting me know when he needed out! Yesterday was the 1st day my wife(Tommie) was home with him alone. She was getting frustrated. When i got home i Helped her a little bit. I could hear the tone difference so i knew that he could. She changed her tone and it help a little.. i can tell that he's bonded with me. i just really hope he'll bond with her to!

Siberians are not one person dogs, so he will have no trouble bonding with her provided she establishes that she is to be listened to as well as you. Now if he is a crossbreed, that may throw a whole nother wrench into the works, but usually not a big issue.

So i come home on my lunch break to find him laying on the couch sleeping! cage door wide open bent almost 45degrees. Nothing in the house touched of messed up. maybe cause he has toys and bone? So what should i do! just let him stay out? or keep trying the cage?

Well you can try him, but if you want him crate trained (which really does have its uses), you need to stick with it. Buy a couple of cheap carabiner clips and place them on the top and bottom of the crate door so that he can't push the door out at the top or bottom.

Well guys, I left him out when I went back to work. Tommie got home at 3 hours later to the same thing. Nothing touched or bothered. and him happy as can be greeting her at the door :) so i don't think im going to bother crate training cause I cant think of one time that id use it..

let me tell ya. For being my 1st huskie i am so amazed at how fast he is learning and how well behaved he is for being only 7 months.. I also know that it could change a little but for the most part....... I WANT ANOTHER ONE! lol  

I just got done talking to a gal that has always owned them. She got to meet him and was so shocked. and she loved his weird coat. She even asked me if he had some shepherd in him. so we mite be onto something guys. oh and girls!  

Well guys, I left him out when I went back to work. Tommie got home at 3 hours later to the same thing. Nothing touched or bothered. and him happy as can be greeting her at the door :) so i don't think im going to bother crate training cause I cant think of one time that id use it..

let me tell ya. For being my 1st huskie i am so amazed at how fast he is learning and how well behaved he is for being only 7 months.. I also know that it could change a little but for the most part....... I WANT ANOTHER ONE! lol  

I just got done talking to a gal that has always owned them. She got to meet him and was so shocked. and she loved his weird coat. She even asked me if he had some shepherd in him. so we mite be onto something guys. oh and girls!  

while it's great to hear your house is still in good shape when you came home today, I still would invest on a crate. Not saying it's a breed trait but most of the time you're just in luck... plus, the crate doesn't have to be a tool to keep him from damaging stuffs. It can also be his den, which is kinda like a room for us humans :)

while it's great to hear your house is still in good shape when you came home today, I still would invest on a crate. Not saying it's a breed trait but most of the time you're just in luck... plus, the crate doesn't have to be a tool to keep him from damaging stuffs. It can also be his den, which is kinda like a room for us humans :)

Yes! its a good feeling to know that he's not a complete animal lol. (no pun intended).. Tommie and I talked and she still wants to try crate training. so i guess the boss has spoke...

he is surprises me more and more. and he's listing to her little by little.