emergency! help please

[url="http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/aclk?sa=l&ai=B_-qI9ashS6T3IaH4ygX6z4i6CZL44YcBoqyL4AnAjbcBkN5OEAMYAyDToOYJKAM4AFDgh_zNAWDJrsWH4KO0ELIBD3d3dy52ZXRpbmZvLmNvbboBCjMwMHgyNTBfanPIAQHaASlodHRwOi8vd3d3LnZldGluZm8uY29tL2RvZy1iaXRlLWNhcmUuaHRtbKgDAegDswToA_0B6ANC6AOAAugDsQb1AwAAAIQ&num=3&sig=AGiWqtyrZfpAgCrDk5yVM1CPCALzOqf9hg&client=ca-ib_travel_sede_1&adurl=http://www.WoundEducators.com%3F_kk%3Dwound%2520care%2520education%26_kt%3D04158ad8-b4a7-48e5-8595-ef4d6f9b9983"] If your dog is bitten, always bring him to the vet for a rabies shot and treatment. However, to quickly prevent infection and contain his bleeding, you can perform basic dog bite wound care yourself.

Emergency Care in Your Home

1. Avoid medicating deep bites or wounds. Leave this for your vet since he will need to stitch up the wound first.
  2. Don't clean wounds that are bleeding excessively since you might cause further bleeding. Instead, control the bleeding by applying mild pressure to the wound.
  3. Dab the surface with gauze pads, a clean, lint-free cloth or a hand-towel.
  4. If blood soaks through the padding, don't remove them; add more on top of the soaked ones and continue applying pressure.
  5. When your pet is not bleeding heavily, you can provide more extensive dog bite wound care.
  6. Trim any dog fur that is covering the bite or wounded area. Use a sharp scissor to cut an inch border around the wounded area.
  7. Flush the injury with cool water or sterile saline contact lens solution. This will help wash away debris. Do not use other contact lens solutions as they will sting.
  8. Shield the wound from contamination. Use a bandage from your first aid kit, another sterile dressing, a clean bath towel, or a sanitary napkin.

ico_digg.gifDigg ico_delicious.gifDel.icio.us ico_stumble.gifStumble facebook_share_icon.gif?0:26981Share

Bite Wounds in Dogs

By: PetPlace Veterinarians

Section: Bite Wound Damage

Bite wounds are often the result when two animals engage in a fight or aggressive play. Animal fights most commonly occur when adults are put together for the first time. Other causes of fighting include dominance, hierarchy, fighting over food, owner attention or territory. Of all trauma-related veterinary visits, 10 to 15 percent are related to bite wounds.

Dog bites can result in significant trauma, like crushing, tearing, puncturing and lacerations of the skin and underlying tissues. Cat bites are typically puncture wounds with possible tearing or laceration. This is due to the small, sharp teeth of cats as compared to dogs.

Since the mouth is an environment filled with bacteria, all bite wounds are considered contaminated and the possibility of infection is high. In comparison, cat bites have a much greater chance of becoming infected than do dog bites.

Bite wounds, which may only appear as a small puncture wound in the skin, can actually be quite extensive. Once the tooth penetrates the skin, severe damage can occur to the underlying tissues without major skin damage.

All bite wounds should receive veterinary attention. Some wounds may appear deceptively minor but may have the potential to be life threatening, depending on the area of the body bitten.

What to Watch For

<li class="ArticleContentBullet">Bleeding

<li class="ArticleContentBullet">Swelling

<li class="ArticleContentBullet">Drainage

<li class="ArticleContentBullet">Breathing difficulty

<li class="ArticleContentBullet">Limping

<li class="ArticleContentBullet">Weakness

<li class="ArticleContentBullet">Collapse

Diagnosis

Diagnosing a bite wound is usually a simple task, especially if the owner witnesses a fight. Wounds often have the characteristic appearance of a bite wound. The challenge comes in determining the extent of the underlying damage. Bite wounds are most commonly found on the neck, face and legs.

Bite wounds of the neck can be serious and may need further examination to determine the extent of the underlying damage. Excessive bleeding from tearing of a major blood vessel, nerve damage, airway trauma and trauma to the esophagus can occur.

Bite wounds of the face can cause severe damage to the eyes, ears or mouth. Scratches and puncture of the eye is possible. Extensive bleeding can occur if the ears or mouth are bitten.

Sedation or anesthesia may be required to examine the injured pet.

Treatment

Treatment for bite wounds depends on the part of the body injured and the severity of the bite. Bite wounds are usually painful and your veterinarian will administer pain medications to relieve the pain. Wounds have the best chance of healing without complication if treated within 12 hours of the injury.

Sedation or anesthesia may be required to treat some bite wounds. The skin wound may have to be enlarged surgically to allow examination of the underlying tissues.

The primary goal of treatment is to reduce the risk of infection. Your veterinarian will gently remove dead tissue and clean the wound area thoroughly to remove hair and other debris. Povidone iodine or chlorhexidine are used to disinfect the wound. If extensive damage has occurred and fluid accumulation is expected, a temporary drain may be placed in the wound to assist healing. The edges of the wound are sutured closed.

Antibiotics are very important in treating infection, although most bite wounds become infected even if the patient is on antibiotics. This is due to the contaminated nature of the injury. The purpose of antibiotics is an attempt to keep the infection under control.

Bacterial culture and sensitivity may be done to determine the primary bacterial agent involved and help chose the best antibiotic. Frequently, this test is reserved for those bite wounds that do not respond to initial antibiotic treatment.

Since the vast majority of bite wounds are contaminated with Pasteurella multocida, common antibiotic choices include amoxicillin, amoxicillin with clavulanic acid, cephalexin, cefadroxil or enrofloxacin.

Home Care

Initially cleaning of the bite wounds with hydrogen peroxide, povidone iodine or chlorhexidine can help reduce infection. Extreme care must be used since bite wounds are painful and the pet may bite the person caring for him/her out of fear or pain. You may have to muzzle your pet.

Despite initial home care, all bite wounds should be examined and treated by a veterinarian. Extensive damage can occur even if it appears as though there is only a small, minor puncture wound on the skin.

Preventative Care

Preventing bite wounds is done by avoiding situations that may result in animal fights. Do not allow your pet to roam. Keep cats indoors. Keep your dog on a leash, especially when visiting parks and walking through the neighborhood.

Obedient dogs are less likely to participate in fights. Proper dog training is recommended.

Unfortunately, not all pet owners follow these suggestions. You may do everything possible to prevent a fight but a stray dog may come upon you and your leashed pet and a fight may still occur.

Some fights cannot be prevented.

Erika, I hope Chewy is OK & not badly hurt, Mike has given fantastic advice (added to rep) so nothing more to add first aid-wise.

How did it happen? Were they playing or was it over something (food, toy, etc)? Where is he bleeding from?Sounds like you're gonna have to watch them to see what the trigger might have been if it was in anger.

Guest snowdog

it wasnt food was it, neeko is so soft n loving with shadow but if he gets even a tiny bit close to her bowl boy does she get mad, her fur goes up n she sounds proper wolf like bit scary trying to make her stop, but then dont want to interrupt as shes showing him she pack leader , but food will do it, maybe not to start with but mine shared at first then all of a sudden NO WAY in hell.huh.gif

We have a tube of (can't remember the name and it's at home in Iowa, I'm here in England) stuff that we bought at a farm supply store, that you simply apply to a cut. It forms a barrier, stops bleeding, promotes healing, and prevents infection. Won't help you much for this time, I know I've posted about it here before. It's good to have on hand. We have a tube, and I've used it twice on Zoya so far. Once from a bite from Koda, and once from a scrape she got digging around a tree stump.

Are they both Male? and how old are they? i only ask as Grey has started to become very Aggressive toward other male dogs he is now 15 months old and its only started happening over the past Month, he is great with the females but any male he comes accross he turns quiet nasty, spoke to my vet about it and she kinda told me what i thought anyway, that its time for the good old snip! so he is getting booked in after Xmas......

it wasnt food was it, neeko is so soft n loving with shadow but if he gets even a tiny bit close to her bowl boy does she get mad, her fur goes up n she sounds proper wolf like bit scary trying to make her stop, but then dont want to interrupt as shes showing him she pack leader , but food will do it, maybe not to start with but mine shared at first then all of a sudden NO WAY in hell.huh.gif

Snowdog, personally I would feed the dogs separately if this was the case. This behaviour can escalate if Shadow keeps approaching Neeko when she is eating.

Remember that Neeko is not the pack leader, you are, she is resource guarding which is something we even see pups doing. What is your feeding routine for the both of them?

ETA: I would definitely recommend never letting them 'share' or eat out of the same bowl, too.

Guest snowdog

Snowdog, personally I would feed the dogs separately if this was the case. This behaviour can escalate if Shadow keeps approaching Neeko when she is eating.

Remember that Neeko is not the pack leader, you are, she is resource guarding which is something we even see pups doing. What is your feeding routine for the both of them?

ETA: I would definitely recommend never letting them 'share' or eat out of the same bowl, too.

na they all fed seperate in they crates,all three go in crates to feed , it when hes wondered off past her cratef ater hes finished with hes, and as he goes by her bowl she goes mad, what i mean to say is im pack leader yes but shes showin him what order he coes which is bottom, neo isnt bothered th eother boy! but yep i dont ever feed to gether , he used to share bit of treats n stuff with her while i was about but not any more!

Well Fortunately the vet says chewy will be ok, that really it wasnt a bad bite. he says only one of solos teeth actually did any harm. (I called one who came to the house and would allow me to pay on monday). I am very sure it was a fight, but surprisingly it was solo who was fighting and not chewy...and chewy didnt attempt to bite back.

while the vet was here he asked me how they'd been since solo came and what kind of things they had been doing in the last 3 days. When I described what had been going on since

the night before last he said it is likely because chewy is neutered and solo is not. He says it sounds like solo is trying to be dominent over chewy now and that chewy is simply trying to back him off. He says it has alot to do with "male dominence" and that chewy is obviously not trying to harm solo as he backs down when I ask him to and if he was going to hurt solo he

likely would have done it already (although he says hes also seen males going at it for weeks at a time). He seems very sure that it has to do with chewy being neutered and solo being unaltered.

Basically he says if i want to stop this its going to take alot of patience and supervision...and for them to be seperated (crated or otherwise) if Im not here to supervise. he also says

that although I have not stopped attending to chewys needs before solo's, I may have to get a bit creative to make sure that solo understands that chewy is not the leader, and he should calm down soon.

Basically, ive got to be a tougher and more serious leader with solo, than I ever had to be with chewy, so he and chewy will become equals. He also says a good way to ensure that I pup instantly understands who his leader is...is if everytime you walk into the room and approach him, you make him lay down and wait for you to acknowledge them.

He also suggested that I get solo neutered as soon as I can.

lol Tony Thor's face is fine now no scare and the fur as grown over it now, we have not had a fight since camp but i keep all sep when eating. Erika glad to hear chewy is ok Thor got a right old cut across his cheek of Odin, it was not long after i got him and i think it was a case of who's boss, Thor tried his luck only to find out Odin is in charge here lol now they are best mates.

Hell the bite i got on my leg is taking longer to heal lol.

your boys will be mates again and think nothing of it xxxx

Well the good news is that after some stepping in the middle on my part (that I didnt know how to do properly before) the boys are learning to relax around each other. We have been doing exercises all morning to to get them both used to stopping their rough play when I say so. So far both boys are behaving and no one has ignored me. Solo now knows what "go lay down" means and the minute I go over the gate into their room they split and each goes and lays down. Im sure chewy has forgiven solo now as he is in a fun and playful mood today. Chewy had to be reminded a bit that "mum means lay down and stay" but he does appreciate my efforts, I can tell, hahaha. i have not allowed the pup to be patted first, greeted first, fed first, given treats first, or out the back door first...by anyone...and it is making a great bit of difference. It looks as if solo will not need to spend weeks in training as he was in down-stay for 35 minutes without another word from me...so i think hes getting it now. I feel better now and Im very sure they will be completely fine in a week or so, Ive just never seen a puppy get as mean as solo did last night, especially a husky pup. Then again Ive never owned 2 males at once, lol...wait I take that back our cats are both males and they took about 3 weeks to start being friendly with one another...but all that was required to break up their spats was a waterbottle...hahahaha.

TBH it's probably not so much that they are two males but two young adolescents who are both pushing the boundaries and testing how far they can go.

Instead of thinking they have to compete with each other I would be doing lots of one on one training especially with Solo to teach him the best way to get what he wants is to comply with the alpha, that's you. If you have treats ask them both to sit and the first one with their butt on the ground gets the treat - rewards come through compliance with you not through competition with each other.

35 minutes is an incredibly long time for a dog to stay in a down, do you mean that he was chilling out for 35 minutes in his crate/lying on his bed more so than doing a formal stay? He's only quite young isn't he? Don't expect too much from him too soon, their attention span at a young age isn't too crash hot so make sure you are setting him up to win not to fail :)