Leaving Huskies Alone ?

Lesley Wolfe

i work nights, wife works days someone is always home. on weekends we r usually offroading in our utv's. dogs r free to roam the house when we arent home. we try not to b gone more than 8hrs. dry food, started mixing nooks with wet as in her old age it seems her teeth bother her if we dont mix it they love riding in truck not sure if its relevent to the question but mine are huskie mix's. a9ymazyn.jpg sent thru smoke signals directly out the top of my teepee!!!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto what everyone else has said, but I just wanted to add that if you can find somewhere secure (such as a dog park, or we have a fantastic beach close by that is completely surrounded by cliffs and only accessible via boardwalk steps) it is THE MOST BRILLIANT THING to see a husky run fast and free :)

...although we would never, ever let ours off leash unless the location was secure. A sheep-chasing incident when she was 5 months old really brought that one home for us lol!

I've left my 2 year old in the house for up to 4 hours, he has full run of the house. He's twice ripped up 2 books, helped himself to the book shelf. I've given up work to look after my dogs, so they are rarely home alone, though now we have a puppy too, so they keep each other company.

I'd never let him off lead as I know he would just run and run. He got out a week after we rescued him and he ran! It took about 20 minutes to coax him back as chasing after him was just a game to him. Luckily we are surrounded by fields so no worries of cars but the fields have cattle and sheep, so as you can imagine we were very worried as to what he might do.  Now we have the puppy he seems less interested in trying to get out, but I'd still never trust him.

He has an hour walk in the morning, then the dogs playfight for a good 30 mins, then he has a 45 min walk in the evening. I take him out for wees several times during the day. He seems pretty content with that.

I feed him kibble, it's what he was eating when we got him and seems to suit him. He has the occasional piece of cooked chicken, fish and raw beef, but only a little. He likes raw eggs, has 1 a week.

I work 12 hours per day.

My 3 are not crated. . . .

However.

I have a large dog flap in the back door and a 150ft garden with closeboard 6ft fences all around.

My guys rarely get destructive, they have each other for company.

and any areas they are not allowed in are stairgated.