Walking To Heel

Steve

I got Storm on August Bank Holiday 2012, so we've now had him for one year. I would go as far as saying he is the best dog I've had the pleasure of owning, with only one flaw - he would not walk to heel. For the last year, I have tried different things, head harness, stop when ever he goes ahead until he comes back to heel, and a number of other things. When we got him, he would literally drag you down the street, really digging in with his back legs - he very quickly improved from this, but still had a lot of room for improvement. On his anniversary, as I walked him down the street, I played with the tip of his tail, and he jumped back to heel, head by my knee and slack lead. For the last five days, he has stayed in the same position, slack lead and head by my knee. If he moves forward, I will play with his tail, and he's straight back to the correct position. I've had false dawns before, but this time feels different. Walking down the street, for the first time, has become a real pleasure.

Moral of this story - never give up. After a whole year, the penny has finally dropped with Storm.

It has taken me by surprise. I never stopped working on it, but I always thought he might get just a little bit better, not this sudden step change. I actually cannot wait for each walk at the moment to see him still walking to heel. Holly walks well to heel, but he is actually doing it better than her all of a sudden!