Sour Smelling Body Odor

rachelg7

I have a stinking husky. This problem has been going on for over two months now. I noticed this sour smelling, almost fermented odor coming off of my dog, and after a couple of weeks of it worsening I took her to the vet. The vet thought maybe it could be some kind of skin fungal infection and after the visit, I changed her diet, I added skin and coat supplements, I changed her bedding and I started bathing her twice a week with a medicated antiseptic, antifungal shampoo. This seemed to help a little, but on these hot summer days, I can't help but let her go swimming and she doesn't always dry out completely. I am starting to think it's something in the water around here? Maybe some blooming bacteria in the warm summer lakes and streams? I live in northwest Montana. The smell seems to get better after baths but then its back in full force after a couple of days.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what could be going on here? Plans of attack? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Sounds like a mouldy mildew type smell caused by damp. I don't know if Montana is dry or humid at this time of year, but if he is not getting thoroughly dry after playing in water or getting washed you will get this sour smell. If you can't stop the swimming then think about investing in a high velocity dryer.

I personally would stop the bathing for a few months, and massage in a mild tea tree oil into the skin for antiseptic/antifungal properties. 

I have the same problem with Kira.

My guess is that it's becouse she's blowing her coat there's a lot of dead hair in there, and with going into water (river water) she doesn't dry that good and it just stinks like hell. I'm hoping it'll go away when she blows all of her coat, and the heat calms down a bit over here.

• 9 years later...
On 4/3/2023 at 10:56 PM, Sky32 said:

Can you try bathing them daily? I have a rescue that really smelled funny at the beginning 

Actually bathing daily can make dogs smell worse, rather than better. It also removes oils from their skin and can make them prone to sores