runs again

ice

well shadow has the runs again :angry: it seems to be every couple of weeks now that he is getting them :( nothing has changed (diet ect) but he still cant stay solid for long, we have changed his diet in the past because of the runs, he is now on arden grange and seemed fine on it for well over a month but now is back to the runs again, he had had them about 5 days so far, going to starve him for 24hrs i think to see if that will help, if any one else can give me any advice im willing to try anything but raw food doesnt work either :rolleyes:

well shadow has the runs again :angry: it seems to be every couple of weeks now that he is getting them :( nothing has changed (diet ect) but he still cant stay solid for long, we have changed his diet in the past because of the runs, he is now on arden grange and seemed fine on it for well over a month but now is back to the runs again, he had had them about 5 days so far, going to starve him for 24hrs i think to see if that will help, if any one else can give me any advice im willing to try anything but raw food doesnt work either :rolleyes:

In Sheba's younger years, whenever this problem came up, I would boil about a quarter pound of ground beef, then mix in about a half a cup of plain cooked white rice. After your 24 hour "fasting", maybe you could try that. It always worked for me. (If I remember right, this is what my vet had recommended at the time) As for the cause, or one possible cause, he may have "gotten into something". Best of luck

Guest snowdog

i know that cooked pasta swirls bloat a huskies tum, but if you feed a small amount of cooked pasta swirls it should reduce the runs and maybe clear it up, not a lot though and only give this when they have the runs, it worked with neeko, hope this helps x

My boys are on a completely grain free diet (they don't digest them well) so in the event that they ever have an upset tummy, I fast them for 12-24 hours, and then feed a baked potato with the skin on (cooled and all mashed up).

It's very bland and easy to digest. If it's happening frequently, you could also use a sweet potato instead, for added nutrients.

Regardless though, it's just treating the symptom, not the problem.

Have you considered allergy testing? My inlaws just had it done with their german sheppard, and it's really quite interesting. It was just a simple blood test, and they got back an entire booklet of results showing what he was allergic too. Everything from food, to environmental, everything.

I'd say the number one food allergies in dogs are probably grains and chicken. But it'd be great to find out for sure if he has any allergies, then you'll know exactly how to treat him, without playing the guessing game.

Good luck!

thanks jasper and timber for sugesting allergy testing, we have booked shadow in for monday morning as he has got no better, if anything he has got worse, it has been well over 2 weeks now since we had anything remotly solid and with him still being young he could dehydrate easly:(

Unfortunately sibes can be very peculiar eaters. My Sky had the runs until she was 7 months old, and it was Pedigree Chum dry food that cleared it up, that was all that she could eat for the first few years of her life without getting the runs. Funnily enough, she's fine now, and can eat almost anything without it affecting her.

However, if he's been fine on one food and then suddenly got the runs, I'd say theres probably something going on. Have you tried the raw diet? I had a call from someone who had taken a sibe (or possible cross) in, and he was very, very skinny and whatever they gave him to eat just ran straight through him. I suggested they feed him raw chicken, see how they got on. It cleared up very quickly. He then came to us, and unfortunately again always has the runs, I've tried him on the old faithful, Pedigree, Royal Canin, Red Mills, and a few others, but the result is always the same. Give him the raw chicken, and he's right as rainbiggrin.gif

hmm - strange one .... Diesel gets the runs at 6 yrs old if we feed any type of tinned dog food, so he's on kibble and raw & he does fine, Myshka will eat literally anything without a change ....

Looks like it's going to have to be a trip to the vets to get to the bottom of it as you have more or less exhausted all types of food. He's not reacting to certain treats or picking stuff up while out or pinching stuff from the bin or neighbours or anything like that? I'm just trying to think outside the box! :huh:

Raw chicken wings are usually an instant fix. Give him a 24hr fast (just clean water) then give him 6 or 7 chicken wings instead of his usual food. Do this for a couple of days and it almost always sorts the problem out.

How much are you feeding him? Overfeeding is one of the most common causes of the runs.

Mick

he gets fed 1 cup full 2-3 times a day, i worry about feeding chicken wings because of the bones, shadow doesnt eat his food he inhails it lol

I wouldn't worry too much about the bones, we give them to pups as young as 12 weeks with no ill effects. As long as the wings aren't cooked or frozen, they are pretty soft. It is the bone/gristle that does the job. They are full of calcium. If, like me, you are ancient, you will remember the streets being full of white, hard dog pooh when you were a child. This is because in those days, most dogs were given bones to eat and the hard, white pooh was the result of the calcium.

I would also cut down his food a little, just to see how it goes. Our adult dogs get one cup of good quality food per day. They all have good weight and minimal poohs (less wastage).

Mick

no im not old sorry raindog :lol: ok i'll give the chicken wings ago, im still going to take him to the vets later even if its just a check up to see what they say,

so is 3 cup fulls a dog too much for him? he's only 20 weeks old

Depends on the quality of the food. You just have to use a "suck it and see" approach until you find what works for your dog. Most sibes will eat whatever you put in front of them and then some - the problem is that if it is too much, most of it will end up coming out the other end. Also, overfeeding in young dogs can cause the runs. You should be able to feel the ribs but not see them - this is a good rule of thumb for sibes.

Your vet may prescribe anti-biotics (it tends to be their knee-jerk reaction to anything) which might accentuate the runs. Try to minimise this by feeding your pup a probiotic yoghurt drink each day (Actimel etc) which will replace the bacteria destroyed by the anti-biotic.

Mick

shadow was put on pro-kolin+ to sort his stomach out on monday and i started feeding fresh chicken breast with the bones as i couldnt get hold of any wings from 4 butchers i tried, so far so good, not had any runny poos since tuesday night :D and ice is also liking the new chicken breast diet :lol: what do you guys pay for your breasts/wings from the butchers if you dont mind me asking, i got 9 breasts for £5, almost everything the butchers sell come in £5 worths, they also sell whole rabbits but wouldnt know what to do with them to give the dogs :lol:

That's great news!!

I've never bought chicken breast from the butchers but going off supermarket prices i think 9 for £5 is good :)

Can you not ask the butcher to cut the rabbit in half? Then he can have half one meal and half another?

I get my chicken wings from the local supermarket, too, get about 10 wings for around £1.70 ... but 9 chicken fillets for £5 is a bargain! As for the rabbits, as Sarah suggested, ask the butcher to halve them & feed that instead ... let us know how they go down! :D