I Need Major Help!!

Sorry what I was looking for isn't there.

What Mollys Dad is suggesting is that the info on your hard drive that tells the laptop to run windows has been damaged.

But you can get all you pictures and documents etc if you follow his advice.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like it is trying to do a PXE boot from the network. Try putting your windows install cd in and see if it will boot from that.

- If it does boot, then your hard drive isn't bootable. You could try running the repair insall option from the cd if it does boot but it may not work, depending on why the hard drive no longer works.

- If it doesn't boot then you could try moving the network boot option down in the boot order and that will allow you to boot from a USB hard drive/CD.

You completely lost me :blink: should I take it to my computer repair Guy?

Sent from my Huawei-U8652 using Tapatalk 2

Probably a good idea. :up:

Looking at what is happening there I would take it back considering you havent had it very long to be honest. Something is certainly not right about what it is doing and I would be supprised if it is a data problem, more a hardware fault. First port of call would be to run scandisk, but its unlikely your gonna be able to start doing these kinda things and knowing what to do with the results yourself. Simple answer is, you havent had it so long. Take it back and tell them to sort it.

What Mollys Dad is suggesting is that the info on your hard drive that tells the laptop to run windows has been damaged.

Erm... I don't remember saying that? :blink: I might be getting confuddled though!

But you can get all you pictures and documents etc if you follow his advice.

I have done this on several machines. One decided to blow its graphics chip so I couldn't see anything on the screen at all (not financially worth repairing at the moment) - copied everything to another machine. Another had an unexpected beer related accident (OH's fault!) which fried the keyboard and some other bits.

On both occaisions I recovered the required data from the hard drive and transferred it to another machine. Just ask if you want to know how to do this - it is really simple if you can get hold of a 'caddy'.

You could copy what you need via a memory stick thingy, but you would need to see the screen - this is not possible if it won't start up properly. Using your HD as an 'external drive' (via the 'caddy' thingymabob) will let you move the data you need to another machine. Then getting your laptop fixed can take as long as necessary / as long as you can afford - no rush

Erm... I don't remember saying that? :blink: I might be getting confuddled though!

LOL

Sorry me reading between the lines.

At work and skipping in and out of here like a maniac.

getting some very strange looks from my manager at all the frantic typing. :eek:

Probably a good idea. :up:

I kinda agree with this. It will cost more, but if you don't know what you are doing and might risk making things worse /  really need some files very urgently then it could be worth their cost. Ultimately it is over to you I guess? If I could help then I would!

LOL

Sorry me reading between the lines.

At work and skipping in and out of here like a maniac.

getting some very strange looks from my manager at all the frantic typing. :eek:

:D

...and I may or may not have had a couple of beverages... *cough* and therefore might be less than entirely lucid

I'm later coming into this thread, but the observation that there is a problem with the hard drive is quite probable since it's attempting to boot from the 4th device in the boot chain.  Hopefully it's nothing more than a loose drive.

One thing here does bother me though - the initial screen shot is not complete, it should resemble something like this:

BROADCOM UNDI, PXE-2.1(BUILD 082) V1.0.3
COPYRIGHT 2000-2003 BROADCOM CORP
COPYRIGHT 1997-2000 INTEL CORP
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

PXE-E61: MEDIA TEST FAILURE, CHECK CABLE
PXE-MOF: EXITING BROADCOM PXE ROM

NO BOOT DEVICE DETECTED, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE OR F2
TO SETUP MENU.

that, was strictly an aside and probably unnecessary.

However: Huskyguerl, go into your bios again (that's the screen shot that has time and date at the extreme top left) about half way down the screen is an entry "Network Boot" which is currently enabled, disable that and let me know what happens.

I'm later coming into this thread, but the observation that there is a problem with the hard drive is quite probable since it's attempting to boot from the 4th device in the boot chain.  Hopefully it's nothing more than a loose drive.

One thing here does bother me though - the initial screen shot is not complete, it should resemble something like this:

BROADCOM UNDI, PXE-2.1(BUILD 082) V1.0.3

COPYRIGHT 2000-2003 BROADCOM CORP

COPYRIGHT 1997-2000 INTEL CORP

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

PXE-E61: MEDIA TEST FAILURE, CHECK CABLE

PXE-MOF: EXITING BROADCOM PXE ROM

NO BOOT DEVICE DETECTED, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE OR F2

TO SETUP MENU.

that, was strictly an aside and probably unnecessary.

However: Huskyguerl, go into your bios again (that's the screen shot that has time and date at the extreme top left) about half way down the screen is an entry "Network Boot" which is currently enabled, disable that and let me know what happens.

Its says no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Okay, I'll have to agree with the consensus that's there's something wrong between the hard drive - which is recognized and its ability to boot from it.  Shop time.

One thing I'd try before I take it to the shop.  Can you get someone to make you a LiveCD version of some Linux OS?  When you take a computer into the shop, the general response is something like "Oh, the hard drive is bad and we're going to replace it and anything you had on it is gone!" If you can boot into a LiveCD (this is a version of an operating system that runs from the CD) you can find out two things.  First it will tell you if you  can you get to the hard drive at all.  Secondly, if you can, it will let you copy files you want off to USB stick before you take it into the shop.

Personally, I like PCLinuxOS, it's a windows-like linux system that is easy for most first timers to understand.

Okay, I'll have to agree with the consensus that's there's something wrong between the hard drive - which is recognized and its ability to boot from it.  Shop time.

One thing I'd try before I take it to the shop.  Can you get someone to make you a LiveCD version of some Linux OS?  When you take a computer into the shop, the general response is something like "Oh, the hard drive is bad and we're going to replace it and anything you had on it is gone!" If you can boot into a LiveCD (this is a version of an operating system that runs from the CD) you can find out two things.  First it will tell you if you  can you get to the hard drive at all.  Secondly, if you can, it will let you copy files you want off to USB stick before you take it into the shop.

Personally, I like PCLinuxOS, it's a windows-like linux system that is easy for most first timers to understand.

Ok i will try that..thank you sooooo much!!

Lmao thanks alot!! Got it fixes though ;)

Awesome . . . . 

Did they tell you what it was ?????

All he said was he took the hard drive out plugged it in his computer and it ran just fine but in mine something was stopong it from working and the only thing he knew to do was completely set it back to the way it was when came from factory..thankfully he saved my pictures though...he said he has no idea what I done to it or how I got it that way but it shouldn't happen again and he gave me a virus protection thing...whole deal only cost me $30 :D

Considering the "computer technicians" I've run into that was quick, very inexpensive and extremely thoughtful.  I've only seen a very few techs who will take the time to save anything if they can.  "Time is money!" and while I understand the philosophy you can get a lot more return business and recommendations by doing a good job with consideration.