What's The Best?

What would you recommend as an alternative to a desk top pc? Laptops can be cumbersome (and the battery has given up the ghost in mine!) and trying to get the best out of this forum on my phone is hard work!

So, how do you get online? What do you use & why? Since Grumpy has discovered FB & poker again, I'm relegated from the pc till he's had enough & goes to watch TV! :P  If I get my bonus in June's paypacket, I might treat myself to a gadget so I don't have to fight to be here! :rolleyes:

Make a list of everything you do on the PC.

You might get away with a tablet.

or it could be that you really do need the full features of a laptop or PC.

Then we can give you better advice. :)

to be honest, I only do basic stuff, or at least I would. Anything more involved I would do when I was on the pc, so it would be mainly internet forum-type use, fleabay browsing, reading the news - that type of stuff

Then a decent 10" android tablet will do you just fine.

Give us a price range you want to pay and we'll see what's good in that price range.

Hp envy x2

Best of both, laptop and a tablet :)

Wait a bit for the windows 8 pro version and you're sorted :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, but not cheap. :eek: :(

I don't have a price range, I'll pay what I need to to get what is "fit for purpose" - not silly money obviously but if I can't spend some of my bonus on me, what's the point! lol

So, if I went with a 10" tablet, which one? Linda, what do you have? If you can use one, so can I, surely!! :P

I'll have my Nexus 10 at camp you can compare :)

Any tablets are going to have their downfalls and plus points to be honest. If your after one I would go for either the nexus 10 or an ipad.

ipad has the downfall that its always gonna have some things you cannot do where you can on others. for example problems with javascript occasionally that we have seen when people visit husky owners. They are not as easily connected to pc to transfer stuff (forced to use itunes to do so), whereas the android ones you will have full access and much more easily connected, you can download another browser if you have a problem with  the stock etc. The plus point to the ipad is the amount of accessories (docks, keyboards, cases etc) available that you can buy for it. Getting things to go with them cheaply from ebay, amazon etc will  give you a massive selection. That said however the nexus ones are catching in this regard on an almost daily basis.

If it were me, I would be buying an android one, however in the same respect thats more to do with restriction of being able to do things that you would be very unlikely to ever want to do, and the ipads are built a lot better than most.

The Microsoft surface is very good also

And also Very expensive.

As much for a tablet as for a full tower system.

However you do get a seamless integration with your windows PC.

Microsoft came into work and demo'd it to us.... yeah it is expensive, but it's very good.

You can Have a keyboard with it too, the back flips out so you can use it as a laptop....

Only thing I didn't like was that it has windows 8 RT. But there's going to be a windows 8 pro version coming out soon

Thanks peeps, especially Andy for that link. I'm ticking boxes & crossing others off as I go through the lists. I don't need an all singing, all dancing one, it's just for basic browsing the web, link up with my phone, games etc, nothing hi-tech!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks peeps, especially Andy for that link. I'm ticking boxes & crossing others off as I go through the lists. I don't need an all singing, all dancing one, it's just for basic browsing the web, link up with my phone, games etc, nothing hi-tech!

Don't buy an ipad I got enough of linda and Lee moaning " I cant do this I can't do that "  :wacko: