Deaf Dog?

Dannii

Awww bless, poor pooch.

Our Echo (white GSD) is only 5 1/2 so hopefully she's got a few years yet before

this kind of things happen to her.

she'll probably make herself deaf barking at everyone who visits. :eek:

Sorry to hear that  :(

I think though your dog should be able to live a fairly normal life, things to consider though would be that he may be sensitive to being touched unexpectedly or become anxious if he doesn't know where you have gone.

If he is then try making sure he is awake to see you leave or before you put your hand out to touch him.

Sorry I'm not much help though I honestly think he will be fine once both of you are accustomed.

Good Luck.

She's such a good dog, the only thing I ve changed is that I have her on a flexi lead now before I used to walk her off lead as she never went far from me but now she can't hear when I shout her! And at dinner time if she isn't in the kitchen I ve got to go and find her coz she can't her the food bowl being fild. I keep calling her expecting her to come :)

I have a deaf cat as well as worked with a deaf (and nearly deaf) dog at the dog hotel. I always make sure they somewhat know and see where I am and what I'm doing when I have to interact with them. When I walk around them, I usually try to keep (physical) contact with them just so they know where I am.

It also has some advantages though. When I drop a frying pan by accident for example, I suddenly find my cat hanging on the ceiling in pure shock while my deaf cat never even got woken up, lol.

Our Diamond was born deaf- or so we'd assume as at 9mos when she found herself in rescue she was already deaf- you'd hardly know it outside of the loud noises don't startle her.  We use a lot of body language and hand signals to communicate with her and it has been working well.  A wave toward us means come, point out away from us means go potty, etc.

Our keeshond went deaf towards the end. It happened so gredually that it was never really a problem for him. He just kept his eyes on what was going on around that little bit more. I had been walking him on a Flexi lead previously as he was a trouble maker with other dogs,so walks were not a problem.

Dogs adapt very well.

I know someone whose dog is fully deaf and blind. The vet ( he is actually decent despite this) said she (her dog) needed a bullet in her head. Though Emmy still lives a happy life. She runs around, barks and loves attention.  :)

I didn't know she was deaf and blind until I was told.

• 2 weeks later...

our previous GSD slowly lost his sight and hearing, he adapted, but one thing I noticed was he often started barking or reacting to things that were not there, and we had to be careful not to "sneak" up on him, he got startled easier, cuz he couldn't hear us coming.  He surely slept hard but I guess if there was nothing I could hear to wake me up I'd sleep better too.  

I also grew up with a deaf and blind dog, and they learn to deal with all of it and live normal lives.  

I myself recently found out that my ears are 15yrs older than I am, so I am into the hearing loss stage as well, ahhh, old age you've gotta love it!  

You should start using hand signals when she is in sight. Mia who is not deaf....unless it is time to go in the dog rum :/ responds much better to hand signals than to voice, I don't know why this is but it works for her.

with one of or dogs we left the lights on for her so she could see things coming nr her cos being deaf and in the dark not good also we did not touch her till she could see us cos she would jump a mile if you did  we also put a couple of bells on her coller cos she used to go in garden we could hear where she was cos calling her in did not happen  hope all works out well

Thanks for all the advice, she's getting on really well I think she can probably hear a little she's not quite jumping when we sneak up on her! Although Bex was wooing at her this morning because piper( the deaf dog ) was eating her breakfast and piper just kept on eating lol!