Oops. Late Introduction. Sorry!

Mazz

Hi, my name is Dave. I'm an old fart. Have traveled extensively during my adult years. Born and raised in eastern Iowa; and I still live in eastern Iowa, quite near the Mississippe River. I've been here for several months. I see new introduction posts from new members quite often and I always enjoy reading them. In fact, I enjoy reading many of the posts here. This is a great forum with a tremendous group of members. The one thing I never did, however, was to introduce myself, so here it goes. . . .

Used to be so afraid of dogs. Neighbor had a wolf hybrid back in the late 50's that bit me when I was five, and I suppose that set the framework for my fear of dogs. Another neighbor had a wolf hybrid that was chained up in their front yard all the time. I had to walk by that house on my way to school everyday. I was frantic by the time I arrived at school. My first encounter with a house dog, was with my cousin's Beagle. That too resulted in a bite.

Fastforward. . .

Well, I'm still an old fart. I've been a technical writer for 30 years. Before that, I was an industrial designer for a few years. No longer have a fear of dogs, in fact, I love dogs. I've had Irish Setters, Cairns and Westies, but it's Siberian Huskies that really hit home with me. We learned so much about Siberian Huskies from Elke, our first Husky. She taught us the art of escapement. We also realized, that Huskies are not normally deaf, they just refuse to respond sometimes. Elke had some digestive issues. She was a finicky eater, often had what I call the Husky Trots, but was an energetic and loving animal. Her prey drive was extremely high, and any small animals that came into the back yard, soon met their demise, unless they were quick.

So, upon the loss of Elke in June of '08, my wife and I decided no more dogs. We could live a hair-free life, not have the expense of buying dog food that would need enhancements to be eaten, no more visiting our friends at the vet clinic, and no more furry companionship. Well, that did not last.

A few months later, along came Zoya. We acquired her from a small dedicated kennel in northern Wisconsin. Zoya came from a line of working Siberians out of Canada. They are used to pack equipment up into the mountains and back down. From an AKC standpoint, she would probably hava a fault or two. But to us, Zoya seems to be the perfect Husky. She's not a finicky eater. In fact, she loves her dog food. She has been so easy to train. She has not tried to escape -- yet (knock on wood). Her loving nature is what I like to see in a Husky. She absolutely loves people. Zoya is a real talker. She woo-woos most often in the early morning and late at night. She does, however, seem to be programmed to dig. And her prey drive is even more intense than was Elke's. Zoya had already put some notches in her tally board before she was a year old. She's now a year and three months.

So, there's my introduction, be it a bit late. If you'd like to see some photos of Zoya, click on the link in my signature to visit her Web site.

ps. This is my favorite, or is that favourite, forum. Thanks to Marc, Sarah, the moderators, and members, for making this site not only available, but so positive in nature and so full of active participation.

lol! Hello, Dave, Welcome on board!

Hi, my name is Dave. I'm an old fart.

Honesty is the best policy, I always find! Well, that is a bit of a turn around from your childhood experience ... and what a great read, I loved your intro!

Well, you know the score by now - post loads, offer great advice & LOADS OF PICS PLEASE!!!!! :D :D

ROFL!!!!!!