clicker training.

I tried clicker training but didn't really like it - I kept losing it and unfortunately my brother found it very stress relieving which left Tala thinking she was going to get lots of treats when she hadn't done anything lol, I found using my voice and hand signals to be much more effective.

I tried it with chewy for about a week, but i didnt end up liking it much because he payed no attention to it after the 4th day...lol.

Did he get what the clicker meant? I've never come across a dog who has been clicker trained who loses interest in it because they know that the click means a reward is coming.

I tried the clicker with both of my boys, and it didn't work with either of them.

I use voice and hand commands, and when they do something bad I snap my fingers and they know mom means business :)

I don't really care if they know commands such as shake, speak, play dead etc. But they know sit, stay, come and lay down both on leash and off.

kane2.jpg garres1.jpg

Clicker training isn't about telling your dog when it's done something bad.

It's marker training, a concept that has been used in dog training for decades. I've used clickers in the past but now use a marker word (yes) instead - just one less thing to carry ;)

Marker training can be really beneficial if done properly, because you are increasing your dog's understanding when it comes to learning new things and in situations like proofing and increasing time on stays, you can use the marker to let them know they are doing the right thing and that reward is coming - so it takes the guess work out for them, you can reinforce what they are doing without needing to reward straight away, and you lessen the chance that they will offer a behaviour you don't want.

Marker training can be really beneficial if done properly, because you are increasing your dog's understanding when it comes to learning new things and in situations like proofing and increasing time on stays, you can use the marker to let them know they are doing the right thing and that reward is coming - so it takes the guess work out for them, you can reinforce what they are doing without needing to reward straight away, and you lessen the chance that they will offer a behaviour you don't want.

can you elaborate on how you are using the "marker" during a stay? I've really been working on stays with Kaiya lately and she is getting better, but I don't think I have the best method yet.

My process: I put her in a sit or a down (if it is just a sit, i don't treat. if i put her in a down, i treat. we are still working on her understanding of what "down" actually means.)

I'll then hold up my hand as a "stop" and tell her to stay. Then I walk backwards repeating the "stay" every couple feet.

Once I reach a decent distance I give her an "okay" to come get the treat.

Any suggestions on how a marker/clicker could improve my process?

can you elaborate on how you are using the "marker" during a stay? I've really been working on stays with Kaiya lately and she is getting better, but I don't think I have the best method yet.

My process: I put her in a sit or a down (if it is just a sit, i don't treat. if i put her in a down, i treat. we are still working on her understanding of what "down" actually means.)

I'll then hold up my hand as a "stop" and tell her to stay. Then I walk backwards repeating the "stay" every couple feet.

Once I reach a decent distance I give her an "okay" to come get the treat.

Any suggestions on how a marker/clicker could improve my process?

Hi Kaiya

I would stop repeating the word stay, and use your marker or bridge word instead. Have you used a clicker or marker word with her before? Before using it with a stay, you will need to make sure she understands what it means.

Start with the basics, so teach her that the marker word (I use yes) or the clicker means that a treat is coming. For example, give her a command she knows like sit. When you tell her to sit, as soon as her butt hits the ground say 'yes' or click the clicker and immediately give her a treat.

Repeat this half a dozen times, until you've done it dozens of times. You really want to reinforce that the marker word/click means the treat is coming.

Once she is clear on what the marker means, you can introduce it with another command she knows. If you google clicker training there is heaps of info on the net, but the way I use it in stays by increasing the time between giving the marker word and giving the treat. For example, for a stay I:

- Tell the dog to sit

- Say 'yes'

- Take a step back

- Step back to the dog and release them with my release word (I use ok).

Obviously when you are first working on the sit, you want to keep the time between saying yes and giving the reward quite short. Try getting her to stay, mark with a yes, wait two seconds then release and so on.

The best way to build a good stay is to do it very gradually, don't wait until she breaks to release her. Don't be afraid to only make her stay for a couple of seconds before rewarding her, and as soon as she's staying well for that period of time you can increase it slowly.

Forgot to add I tell the dog to stay before saying yes. So sit, stay, yes. Take a step back, reward. You chose to take a stepback, say yes as she holds her stay then reward too. The whole point of marker training is that you use it to tell the dog when they are doing the right thing and will be rewarded. I have some more info on stays I can PM you if you like too :)