territory marking

tracey8

my 2 boys have been having some issues with each other over the last week or so, they have had a few scraps but nothing too serious,the issue now is when they come in from the garden they come in the kitchen and both start marking all over the kitchen they have never done this in the house before one will pee and then the other will pee over his pee and then the growling starts as i said the pair are having some issues with dominance at the moment am i missing something here ?

Nope, you're not missing anything ... I think I'd be seeing the same thing you are and prepare for them to have a little dominance "discussion" in the not too far distant future. Dogs are territorial and marking behaviour says that "this is my territory" overmarking says that "No, it's not, it's mine!"

Marking in the house should be a major no-no anyway. This is your house and they shouldn't be marking inside. Time to make a serious stand "No!" and if it were me, I'd take the offender outside for a few minutes to "think about things".

Nope, you're not missing anything ... I think I'd be seeing the same thing you are and prepare for them to have a little dominance "discussion" in the not too far distant future. Dogs are territorial and marking behaviour says that "this is my territory" overmarking says that "No, it's not, it's mine!"

Marking in the house should be a major no-no anyway. This is your house and they shouldn't be marking inside. Time to make a serious stand "No!" and if it were me, I'd take the offender outside for a few minutes to "think about things".

Thanks for that Al ,was just what i was thinking ,they have never done that in the house before ! they sleep in the kitchen but it is just when they come in from the garden .

That's gross.

I'm guessing they're not fixed? (If you're females aren't fixed either, I heard they can have 'pissing matches' even if they're neutered)

only one of the boys are but the other is getting done also ,just think it is strange as they have never peed in the house before :eek:

Well said, sensitively too. :D