kermy

emmy-lou

ever since i was little i had a fascination with frogs....... i had loads of framed prints of frogs and even more stuffed toys..... as well as cute little trinkets (all frog based)......

My o/h has kindly said that if i would like to i can get me a couple of frogs....... so the biggest question is what species do i go for??? there are so many to choose from but im loving the look of 3 in particular.......

First up we have the red eyed tree frog......

post-8284-13586074194051_thumb.gif

Next contender is the Tomato frog......

post-8284-13586074201598_thumb.jpg

and finally (and possibly my favourite) the blue azureus dart frog......

post-8284-13586074206295_thumb.jpg

What do you all think????

Years ago we had a Pacman Frog named Toad! I too would take a look at the care they require.

Thats one thing i am hot on is my research.... i wouldnt dream of getting any animal without doing at least 6 months research first....... and as i will be using all live plants i will be planting the tank up well before the frog...... but in order to do that i need to decide which one i would like the most as all 3 frogs have very different needs x

Which of the 3 is the most active?

The red eyed tree frog and the blue azureus are most active...... the tomato frog is nocturnal......

I think the red eyed tree frog is the most active of the 2 as its always climbing trees and rarely comes down to the ground.

Are they expensive to buy?

The red eyed tree frog and the blue are around the £60 mark...... obviously changes from breeder to breeder and pet shop to pet shop but its what i have been quoted ........ and the tomato frog is £25 so not to bad all in all...... but i would also be taking into consideration the fact they are communal animals so would be getting a pair not just individuals x

Years ago we had a Pacman Frog named Toad! I too would take a look at the care they require.

How do you call a frog 'Toad'? lol! Do you have any pics of this pacman frog? I have the (rather obvious) images of a yellow blob that eats dots and gets chased by ghosts...

yeah have researched all 3..... their environment, food, water needs etc..... even know where i will be getting them from....... i just cant decide which i like the look of the most....... i think i will be pushing it if i try to get all 3 lol

just checking that you knew what you were getting into lol! Would all three work together? No idea about which species are aggressive etc

Thats one thing i am hot on is my research.... i wouldnt dream of getting any animal without doing at least 6 months research first....... and as i will be using all live plants i will be planting the tank up well before the frog...... but in order to do that i need to decide which one i would like the most as all 3 frogs have very different needs x

Ahh... if you want all three - could you do different 'zones'? Maybe that wouldn't work so 3 tanks instead?

if i went with all 3 it would mean 3 seperate tanks as all 3 have completely different living conditions....... some frogs are aquatic and some can only have damped moss....... knowing my o/h i will eventually end up with more than one tank but i would like to get 1 tank in and planted and the frog settled before i start planting up another tank

if i went with all 3 it would mean 3 seperate tanks as all 3 have completely different living conditions....... some frogs are aquatic and some can only have damped moss....... knowing my o/h i will eventually end up with more than one tank but i would like to get 1 tank in and planted and the frog settled before i start planting up another tank

Good job you researched them then! I don't know enough about frogs to comment on their individual environmental needs

Were i work with have all three types of those frogs, i would go for the dart frogs or the red eyed tree frogs, they are cute and active you will see them more often. The tomato frogs we have we only see when they are fed, the rest of the time they dig themselves a hole and stay in it :).