new camera

LittleLuka

Do you have any ideas what you want to do with it, or things you want to do mostly with it?

For example, photographing animals (fast shutter speeds), indoor photographing (low light conditions), outdoor sceneries etc? Do you want to be able to film with it or not? And probably more importantly, how much money are you willing to spend on it? :rolleyes:

It really depends on what you expect from your camera. If you want faster shutter speeds and low light functions you can't get the base model more simplistic 'point and shoot' DSLR, you won't be happy with the performance. Evaluate your expectations of functionality and find a camera to fit those expectations. Honestly there are some phenomenal point and shoot style cameras that will give you the clarity and quality photos without being overly technical to use. Is there a specific reason a D-SLR is a must?

It really depends on what you expect from your camera. If you want faster shutter speeds and low light functions you can't get the base model more simplistic 'point and shoot' DSLR, you won't be happy with the performance. Evaluate your expectations of functionality and find a camera to fit those expectations. Honestly there are some phenomenal point and shoot style cameras that will give you the clarity and quality photos without being overly technical to use. Is there a specific reason a D-SLR is a must?

i've had multiple good quality ($400 and up) point and shoot cameras in the past. my friend has a canon rebel and i fell in love with it. it takes such better pictures.

Do you have any ideas what you want to do with it, or things you want to do mostly with it?

For example, photographing animals (fast shutter speeds), indoor photographing (low light conditions), outdoor sceneries etc? Do you want to be able to film with it or not? And probably more importantly, how much money are you willing to spend on it? :rolleyes:

i would like to take animal photography and human. more outdoor than indoor. and no, i dont need filming capability. i would like to not spend more than $1000.00 USD

i've had multiple good quality ($400 and up) point and shoot cameras in the past. my friend has a canon rebel and i fell in love with it. it takes such better pictures.

The Canon 550D that I have is known as the Rebel T2i in the USA - I think Jos also has one similar to mine :)

Yes, I have a Canon 1100D (previously a 1000D). Note that both of them are known under a different name in the US.

Another handy site to compare cameras with each other is: http://snapsort.com/compare

It gives you the list of features and facts, puts them together and tells you one by one which one is better.

However, note that the body is only as good as the lenses you use. Get one that has a stock lens (or lenses if you'd like). You can of course buy a more professional lens immediately but that requires some knowledge first. Knowledge that you get by just playing with a DSLR first ;)

you do not necessarily need an expensive camera. All of these were taken on a kodak easy share z915. it cost me £100. it has a sports mode that allows you to capture huskies running, plus it is fully programmable.

to use these features is fairly easy to get the hang of. i would love a dSLR but everything about them is expensive.

the best tips i can give are.

get down to the level of what you are photographing (i think a picture taken at the level of your dog is much better than one that is looking down at the dog)

if your camera has a high speed shutter function use it for anything moving.

make sure what you are taking a picture of is in decent light (unless your camera can cope with the low light levels)

take multiple pictures then you can choose the best one

get a lense cleaning cloth and solution. camera lenses get dirty very easily and the pictures suffer as a result.

post-475-13586070595152_thumb.jpg

This one was taken through a dirty window at a high zoom level

post-475-1358607060024_thumb.jpeg

post-475-13586070592836_thumb.jpg

post-475-13586070593914_thumb.jpg

post-475-13586070596362_thumb.jpg

post-475-13586070596961_thumb.jpg

post-475-1358607059816_thumb.jpg

post-475-13586070599481_thumb.jpg