Looking for suggestions

Hey all,

Sorry for not being around as of late, but I've started a second job and have been super busy.

I'm looking for a little bit of advice on this one. Since I've been working the second job, I've obviously been away from the house more. Finn is obviously home alone more as a result.

So, here's the situation. I can't leave her home alone and let her roam the house because she will do her business in my bedroom. (When there was a flood in my apartment it brought the smell up through the hardwood from the last pet owner, and now I can't get her to stop going there no matter how many times I clean / enzyme / peroxide it)

I can't shut her in my kitchen on the tile, because it is an apartment, and there is no doors to the kitchen, and she can obviously jump over the baby gates.

I could shut her in the bathroom, but she tends to throw a pretty good fit in there and I'm worried about the building manager complaining.

And my living room is all hardwood, so if she starts messing in there, we'll be in the same boat as the bedroom right quickly.

I need a suggestion, because she is SO hyper when I get home, and starts whining SO early in the morning to wake me up because she has all sorts of pent up energy, and it's getting rediculous. I can get a dog walker, but I live in the city and the building manager doesn't like us giving keys to anyone to get in to walk the dogs, and it voids my tenant insurance.

I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

hmmm Have you thought about looking for a dog walker that would come around halfway through the day to let her out and walk her around the block or something so she isnt home along all day maybe they could stay with her for an hour or so?

Does she always do her business in your bedroom everytime you are out?

Is there anyone in your apartment building that would be willing to take on the task of walking her as well as being someone whom you can trust walking her? Would your landlord still consider that to be giving out a key?

Another idea is doggy day care....

I take it she isn't crate trained. You may want to give that a try, she may take to it very well or she may really put up a fight especially since she puts up a fuss in the bathroom.

She is presently crate trained, but I don't like to leave her in the crate for 10 + hours at a time. She takes to the crate with no fuss, but she sleeps in there at night, plus being in there during the day leaves her with too much energy.

I don't know anyone in my building and 90% of them don't speak English, or won't come near me because I have a dog. Toronto is one of those cities where people just don't get to know each other at all, largely because it can be rather unsafe.

Having a dog walker entering my apartment at all will void my tenant insurance, and because of the number of breakins in my building I don't want to have people in.

I was considering doggie daycare, but they won't take her because she is 7 months and could come into heat "at any time".

I'm starting to feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Le sigh.

A dog walker is a very good suggestion for her...but I would also like to encourage you to buy a crate. While some owners prefer not to use them at all it is the safest way to keep her in one place without accidents and possible house damage. have someone come walk her during the day if you can and crate her while you are away to get the potty issues under control. If she howls or is noisy alot be sure to put a sheet over her crate to make it dark and relaxing so she calms down and rests.

are you planning on breeding her???

If not, spay her and you can take her to doggie day care. She's old enough to be spayed and the sooner the better.

Doggie Day care was going to be my advice also.

Crating her isnt an option because she'll be too noisy.

Leaving her loose in the home is not an option.

You dont have a back yard to tie her up in.

Since you cant do a dog walker....

Your only options seem to be Doggie Day Care or finding a friend that has dogs that you can leave her with during the day.

Maybe a good friend with a house and yard with other dogs she gets along with and can play with during the day..

Or even putting an "add" in the newspaper seeing if there is anyone out there who has a house and yard and other dogs and you could meet them and check out their place and pay them to watch your dog during the day..

Those are all i can think of.

Doggie Daycare runs anywhere between 30 - 40 $ a day for a large dog, and they're not interested in taking her until I get her spayed. There are a few that won't take her at all because she is considered a "high energy breed".

At $40 a day, I may as well give up my second job, because it would be a wash. ... :(

HOLY SH**

That's almost $900 a month if you took her 5 days a week....

Yikes.

What about if you only took her a couple times a week. Like Tues. and Thursdays

Then thats a little over $300 a month.

You could excersize the crap out of her on the weekend. And i mean the CRAP out of her... Run her till her legs fall off.

Then on the days she doesnt go, (do you have a bike??) or rollerblades? You could run her around the block early before work then right before bed on Mon. Wed. and Fri.

Oh wait.. .She's only 7 months huh??

I guess you cant really excersize her the same as an adult dog.... well wait sure you can.

I ran my 6 month old GSD with the bike and she loved it.

Geez, what a bind! well def put up that ad then to see if there is someone who would help you by taking her during the day. If need be, for trust reasons, type out a contract and find a person who will agree to all your terms and give you a reasonable price for taking her during the day.

She IS currently crated during the day.

I just don't feel great about having her in there for 10 hours at a time.

I was told by the vet not to have her spayed before 9 - 10 months because she has been seeing huge problems from spaying too early. I know that many people spay at 5-6 months, but I also trust my vet's judgment and if she feels that there is reason to be concerned, then I respect that.

I'm definitely not trying too shoot down the ideas, I'm just trying to explain the situation further as we go.

Seriously consider finding a good person who will sign a contract with you to watch her. If this does not pan out...crate her...put soft music on for her....put a sheet over her crate...give her chews and make sure to take her for a biking or a good jog after you get home each night.

May I also suggest some vigorous games of fetch and tug-o-war?? if theres a place you can take her at night and she plays fetch...get yourself a LONG tie out leash and go out and let her run herself silly.

Okay. Here is the breakdown of my day presently.

Finn is in a crate at night, because she won't settle down for me if I let her sleep in my room.

I get up at around 8:30, take her out for a quick pee, and let her run around the house while I'm getting ready for the day.

I leave for work around 9. I put her in the crate then.

I work until 5 as a court reporter (if my case doesn't end early). If my case ends early I can go home and let her out, and spend some time with her, if not I'm not home until 5:30 or so.

About 3 days a week, this is where my day ends. I can come home and let her out, play with her and spend time until we go to bed around 11 pm.

2 days a week (approx) I have to go directly to my second job, where I work until 10:30 pm, and don't get home until 11. On these days, she is home from 9am - 11pm on her own. (I know this is too long, hence the problem.)

On weekends I have to work 8 hours at a time, so again, she's home for about 9 hours in the crate, plus the crate at night.

So that's what we're working with. I don't have a car. I can't take her on the TTC system between 7am and 10 am or 4pm and 7pm because those are high traffic times and they won't allow me to bring her on.

Oh wow....that is a really long time! Im sorry...i guess Im not sure what else to say. I want to suggest you look at my potty training post and work with her on that until she stops going in the house. When she does stop...for at least a week of having NO accidents at all...then test her by leaving her out of the crate. If she stays on good behavior and has no accidents...leave chews out for her. For you IO would suggest limiting her water and food intake before you go to work as well...maybe 1 cup of water and half a cup of food...this will hopefully make it so she is not freaking out because she needs to potty. It might seem mean but it will help.

So 5 days out of 7 you work a normal 8 to 5 schedule/ 8 hour days?

Well, thats not bad at all!

I suggest you start waking up earlier. Sheesh my 2 year old wakes me up every morning at 6:15. By 8:30 i've fed him, fed the dog, fed myself, walked the dog with the boy in the stroller, watered the lawn... and started the laundry.

Except for those 2 days a week, you have more than enough time to have a good excersize schedule.

Letting her run around the house certainly does NOT count as constructive excersize.

She needs to work her brain and her body. I suggest, waking up earlier, take her out on the leash and go for a LOOOONG walk.

After work.... Take her to an area with a long training lead and throw a toy around to get out that bouncy puppy energy before taking her on another LOOOOOlNG walk.

All dogs should be walked on average twice daily for 45 minutes. Using their brain by training them to walk next to you will excersize them mentally.

Running them next to bikes or with rollerblades will excersize their bodies.

And playing with them will get out their bouncy energy.

On those 2 days a week you're gone for over 10 hours, i would just see if you know someone who could drop by the house to let her out on the leash for 10-15 minutes.

If the other 5 days a week you take the time to give her that mental/physical stimulation she needs, she should be fine the other 2 days.

Let me put some light here about something I have only recently learnt myself.

It has been scientifically proven that a relaxed/settled dog will sleep anywhere between 17-20 hours a day but a dog with worries won't.

You mention that you are worried about leaving Finn for 10+ hours in a crate, be careful that you are not passing these worries onto Finn as this can lead to separation anxiety. Passing on worries can be passed by just your feeling of worrying about leaving her and by giving her attention in the form of touch, verbal and eye contact can also pass your worry to Finn.

You could make a start now by trying to remain calm, dont worry about her being left, before you leave, get yourself ready as normal and then simply put her in her crate (No touch, eye or verybal contact) and then leave and then return and do the same as you did when you left (no eye, touch or verbal contact) and calmly let her out of her crate and outside to relieve herself.

Im sorry to be the one to say it as its never an easy thing to hear but if you live in an appartment and work very long hours maybe you need to think about rehoming her...? It sounds to me like you just dont have the time to look after her to full extent that she deserves. Im sorry I dont want to be mean.. maybe you have a family member that would be willing to take her so you dont have to give her up completely. But it really does sound like your just not being fair to her, no dog should be left alone for 10 + hours nevermind one that craves company and needs exercise like a husky does! Sorry but thats just my opinion.