Doggy colds

Hi everyone, hope you can help.... Nukka has a cold!!!

Her symptoms are sneezing, a little bit of eye discharge (just like green sleep) and a runny nose.

As far as I can tell she doesnt have a temperature and she is eating and drinking and otherwise behaving normally. No dificulty breathing or coughing or phlem.

So heres where I need help... I know human colds are usually viral and so Dr's usually just say bed rest and chicken soup etc. However I've looked online and read up and apparently dog cold symptoms can be for other things like distemper or parainfluenza etc and recomended going to a vets.

But I'm not rich and the vets are expensive as shes already been once in the past couple of weeks for a sicky tummy! So I'm loathed to take her only to be told its exactly what I think and she'll get better by herself... shes fourth months old and has had all her vaccinations so I dont think she could get anything life threatening could she? What do you guys think should I take her to the vets just to be safe?

Bing had the eye discharge and a bark that didnt sound quite right so we took him vets n we were told he has conjuctivitus and tonnsilitius it cost us around 30-40 to get him sum eye drops and sum antibiotics for him the vet asked us if he had been coughin and sneezing as they can get this aswell n he wasnt at the time n the vet sed dont worry if he does start then - if u cant afford it sumwhere like the rspca or the pdsa might b able 2 help the pdsa are ALOT cheaper then goin 2 ur normal vets let us no how u get on hope Nukka is better soon

Heya Sarah,

Could it be possible that Nukka has developed an allegy or something?

Tala had those symptoms a couple of weeks ago - the vet said she wasn't ill and as far as he could tell she didn't have a cold, she would sneeze countless times which made me think of an allergy so we started trial and error by removing certain things lol took a while but when I washed her blanket (which hadn't been washed then as I had bought it from a pet store) all of a sudden it all disappeared (may have been luck or fluke but i'm not sure lol).

I hope she gets better soon or you solve it :D

Aww sorry to hear Nukka feeling a little under the weather :icon9: Our vets is pricey costing us to see the vet aswel as any treatment we would need so I know how you feel :rolleyes:

But if Nukka is really not well then it might be an idea to ring them up first and see what they say??? Or you could try going to a cheaper vets ie- RSPCA or PDSA where like Sid&Kira said they ask you to make a small donation.

Im sure lots of TLC to Nukka and lots of rest and she will be back to her old self :087: BLESS HER!!!

I would also get clean cotten wool and warm water and wipe her eyes and it should help till you get her to the vets.

Keep us posted and I hope Nukka is feeling alot better soon!! Big paw hugs & kisses to her from us x x x x x x x x x x x x

Don't know if in the UK, Bordatella or Kennel Cough is common. Here in the US, by law, we have to have our dogs immunized for this, if you ever have the animal groomed or borded. I would call the vet, and ask if they have immunized Nukka for Kennel Cough. Dogs don't usually come down with what we humans call the common cold. Aside from that, it could very well be an alergic reaction. Keep any eye out, if the conditions take a turn or don't start to improve within a day of onset, I would scrape, scrounge, and sacrifice to get my dog in to see a vet.

Maybe an allergy I never throught of that!! She deffinatley isnt getting any worse and yes Im pretty sure the vaccine was against kennel cough etc so dont think it could be that...

Actually now allergy has been brought up she does have a new rag toy that some of the dyes seem coming out of so I'm not happy bout that... might just remove that and see if it helps. Was a pets at home one too so you'd think it'd be better! But like I said other than a drippy nose and a tiney amount of eye gunk shes behaving completely normally so I'm not majorly stressed out just a little worried!

Thanks for all the kind words of wisdom guys! :D Will keep you posted.

signs like that usually point toward a respiratory infection.

Discharge from the eyes and a yucky nose are the best indicators.

Usually kennel cough is a dry cough. Not like a human cold.

Its possible to be an allergy, although most times the skin is whats affected by allergy and dogs with itch and chew rather than sneeze and cough like humans.

But thats not to say it isnt an allergy. Its possible.

Either way, if its not getting better, best to go in. You'll probably be sent home with antibiotics.