doberman a good mentor for a new husky

Geo

I almost left this forum after receiving what I considered a very negative judgement from another forum member negatively comparing dobermans (protective and obedient) to huskies (independent and friendly - even to your enemies). I have had a doberman female for four years, and only recently I acquired my current and first husky, after hearing about her unfortunate and abusive past - never taken for a walk - as she supposedly pulled too much, and seen as too much of a hassle as she supposedly escaped and ran away. I was curious about the warnings about not letting the husky off leash, and told that I had "a lot to learn" about that fact. well, I would like to report back, that after two months, I have had a very successful experience with my new husky, and I would say it is largely due to the mentoring she has received from my doberman. I took my time, training the husky to sit, stay, come, etc. (she hadnt been trained to do any of this in four years with her previous owner). I also took her with me - on leash, while my doberman, who stays at my side, was off leash. Then I slowly started letting her off leash - in enclosed areas. What happened is that my dobie helped with the training! As Sikara (husky) would stray off, my dobie (Cinnamon) would follow her, and round her up. If I called Sikara, Cinnamon would come, look for Sikara, and then go and get her! Another thing, is that Sikara was very timid, and for some reason, some dogs seemed to target her with aggression, she would often run away from dogs that would bark, chase or nip at her, and so, my dobie came to her defense - scaring off the other dog- by barking - etc., We have a really great pack, my dobie seems to be in charge, and as a guide and protector to the husky. The husky seems happy to follow her lead, and she has become a very obedient dog, with her mentor's support. To the person who said that he did not want a dog that was protective, like a doberman, I would suggest that my husky would disagree with that, and seems relieved to have a dobie friend who will come to her assistance when needed. This is a good pair, and as I mentioned before, one is not better than the other, they both have their gifts.

Wow, I am surprised that anyone on the forum would purposely have something negative to say about Dobermans - I think they are great, but like most breeds, they need to be in the right hands. It is also fantastic to hear how Cinnamon has helped Sikara :) I am sure they make a great pair, and I agree, one is not better than the other, and they certainly seem to complement each other.

Well done to you and Cinammon on a successful rescue, Sikara definitely struck gold when she found you and your family. Would love to see some photos of the two of them :) and I am glad you decided to share this with us, made me smile knowing that Sikara is a happy husky after her shaky past.

I agree with what Rosemary has said and would like to add, that when we had free access to the field next to us, we would let Storm loose (on a long line trailing) with Gem and when ever we called Gem, Storm would always come running too ( scared she was missing a treat). Gem is a Kelpie cross and Storm is our first Husky. We haven't been able to get use of the field to see how Tanna would do, but although she answers her name better indoors she is much more easily distracted outdoors.

Every dog is different and hopefully the comments you received were not meant in the manner in which you have taken them as I have only had a positive interaction with the folk on here.

Keep up the good work with your dogs and I too would love to see some pictures.

glad to have you back :D sorry about your experience with another member here :( next time if by any chance you encounter the same problem you can always contact our friendly admins :) Personally doberman is not my favorite breed but I *do* like protective dogs :D GSDs, especially ;) why GSD's better than other protective breeds, you ask? Simply because they have thick fur LOL :P I'm a weirdo alright :rolleyes:

that aside, I'm very glad to hear about Sikara's progress :D happy endings are always nice :up: you're a very lucky person to have these girls :D

I'm so happy you've updated Sikara's story :) I know what negative comment you mean about Cinnamon's breed as it knocked me for six a tiny bit, as all the people on here are normally so nice. But I don't think they meant it how it came across? Hopefully you'll stick around this time :)

But it sounds like she's doing so well, and her and Cinnamon (love that name!) seem like they have a good bond. That's one of the reasons I love having different breeds of dog, I really think they bring out the best in each other :) And Dobermans are gorgeous dogs, would love to see pictures of them together if you have any!

Glad they are doing so well, I don't let my husky off his lead but when I'm walking with my kelpie and gsd ( who are fine off lead) I let them all off a few weeks ago and it couldnt have gone any better, they don't ever leave each other!! But I do live in the middle of nowhere which helps. Nt sure I would trust him by himself though :S lol