chihuahua and husky...

i havent got my husky puppy yet and i want to be as prepaired as i can be for her and i was thinking what if nalla plays too rough with my chihuahua and hurts her? id never be able to forgive myself.

my chihuahua is a dominate dog but she gets along with other dogs until they get too close to her and sniffs her butt or just pushes her too far. since nalla will be a puppy when i get her do i just let nalla be nipped at by my chihuahua to show her dominance or what should i do. i dont want nalla to bite her or nothing.

i worried about this when i brought Kaiser home - kimba was a bouncer and settled - yeah he told him off a few times but they learnt their boundaries with each other - they're now best friends and have never, touch wood, had a scrap where i've had to separate them :)

Personally, i'd leave them to it but be watchful, you'll know if it gets out of hand and will know when human intervention is required :)

Nalla will be so little I bet your chihuahua will put her right in her place and thats how it'll stay! Lol I introduced Nukka to my mums cats from a very young age and they told her in no uncertain terms where she stood and now she doesnt go near them... I've been told thats how it usually goes with pups, so long as they are introduced early to the other animals they just accept them as they are and get on with it, Nukka's the same with my Rabbitt she just stands and wags her tail as the rabbit nontulantly wanders on by! :D

just keep an eye on them if play gets too rough then seperate them for abit then bring them bk 2 meet each other again (it might take a few goes n soon they will b best friends if ur chi is an alpha then she will put nalla in her place n it shud stay like that (it has with my boys :) ) good luck let us no how u get on with introducing them when u get her :)

your description of Nalla actually worries me a little. Chihuahuas are quite known for their attitudes.

Luckily your sibe will be a puppy. An adult dog that doesnt take well to being dominated by a chihuahua would put an end to her in a hurry.

Thing is, i've known dogs that get pushed around one too many times by a snippy chihuahua to snap back finally. And it doesnt end well for the chih.

My dog is a perfect example of this. She was surrendered to animal control for killing her owner's other dog which was a chihuahua. My guess? The Chih went too far and pushed one too many times.

So be careful and make sure YOU are the one in control and not Nalla.

Its ok to let Nalla establish herself over the puppy. But not in an aggressive way. It should only be in a "hey, i'm #2 in this family under mom, and you're #3"

That should not include biting.

If Nalla bites in an aggressive manner (hard enough to break skin) then you have big problems and Nalla could end up in big trouble when that puppy gets bigger.

You need to be the boss and let Nalla know its not OK with you if she is aggressive towards the puppy.

kiba,

my chihuahua (christal) doesnt just attack for no reason she really has to be bothered but other than that she will play and do everything like a good girl, she'll even share her food with a puppy. i dont think of her as being agressive in any way but she does show other dogs where the bear sh*ts if she needs to.

So be careful and make sure YOU are the one in control and not Nalla.

Its ok to let Nalla establish herself over the puppy. But not in an aggressive way. It should only be in a "hey, i'm #2 in this family under mom, and you're #3"

That should not include biting.

If Nalla bites in an aggressive manner (hard enough to break skin) then you have big problems and Nalla could end up in big trouble when that puppy gets bigger.

You need to be the boss and let Nalla know its not OK with you if she is aggressive towards the puppy.

Excellent advice and I'd definitely second this.

Nalla's mom, I know you have said that Nalla is not aggressive but has she dealt with a husky pup before? Huskies are quite a handful and I've yet to meet a Chihuahua that quite appreciates a husky pups (or adult husky for that matter) play style. They are very rough, playful, and persistent so I can easily see her pushing Nalla to her limit very quickly and repeatedly.

I have a husky and a chihuahua and I do not let them play together. They get along great but my husky is just too rough (not on purpose) and can seriously hurt my chihuahua even though he means no harm and is only trying to have fun. And even if your two get along great I would advise you never leave them alone together unattended. Sibes have too strong a prey drive and even after years of peacefully coexisting all it takes is a split second for instinct or something to kick in for whatever reason and your chi could be seriously injured or killed. My two get along splendidly but I never ever leave them together unattended, and I have had instances where he has snapped at her for one reason or another and it's not at all worth risking safety for convenience. Always keep a close eye on your sibe and chi when they are together. ;)

Some good advice here, & Val (huskyluv) I'm glad you have personal experience & can give a fellow sibe & chi owner first hand advice & knowledge, rep added

It is true that huskies like rough & tumble play, they "box" with each other & bite ears & scruffs & other breeds can see this as aggression, they don't understand it, but as long as you supervise, they can both get to know what is acceptable & what isn't. But I wouldn't leave them alone for a period of time "just in case"!