help with husky college work plz guys??

Sid_Wolf

in my last year at college and have to do a year long investigative project, on any subject, so naturally i chose huskies lol. just wondering if people can give me some of their own experiences/ways of doing things, and some pictures to go with, i dont want to base the project on just my experiences 'cus that wont cover everything. here are the topics im covering

common personality/behavioural traits - digging, howling, escaping, killing cats lol etc

health & grooming

Diets

training

guide to mushing

so if anyones got any experiences they dont mind sharing that'd be great :grinning-smiley-003

in my last year at college and have to do a year long investigative project, on any subject, so naturally i chose huskies lol. just wondering if people can give me some of their own experiences/ways of doing things, and some pictures to go with, i dont want to base the project on just my experiences 'cus that wont cover everything. here are the topics im covering

common personality/behavioural traits - digging, howling, escaping, killing cats lol etc

health & grooming

Diets

training

guide to mushing

so if anyones got any experiences they dont mind sharing that'd be great :grinning-smiley-003

here's a few of mine i can think of from the top of my head:

Digging - Kimba is quite good and always has been, Kaiser on the other hand loves helping with plant pots - hence why i no longer have any lol he likes to tip them up and dig out the plants trailing soil around the garden lol

I have one or two husky holes in my lawn as well lol much to my gardener's annoyance

grooming - brush mine once a week but once a day when moulting, found the Furminator to be the best brush i've ever used :)

Diets - alternate between burns high energy lamb kibble and raw meaty bones, chicken wings, ribs, legs etc

Training - tried clicker training but gave up, just wasn't for me, found it much easier to use hand signals and my voice :)

Mushing - started walking my boys and using commands for left right etc then moved on to jogging a little with them using hike on and wooahhhh - still haven't figured that last one out though LOL

Will update when I can think of other amusing anecdotes for you, if you want more info please pm me or reply on here :)

Ok here is a few thigs we do with Grey-

DIET>

Dry kibble food, Raw bones, Crushed Egg one a week and when Grey gets an upset tummy & Wet poo we give him Raw chicken wings and probiotic yogurt (plain flavour)

GROOMING>

We Brush Grey once a week but have heard from many people on here that the furminator to be really good but still have not got one or tried one yet tho. Grey is also bathed when he gets very very dirty (not to much cause it can dry there skin and plus they are very good at self grooming themself) Most of the time if he gets a little grubby we rub him down with a damp rag.

TRAINING>

1)Had to do some training with grey when we first got him as he can play bite quite hard and jump up at everyone when he gets to over happy and wants to say hello & play but with a firm NO and turning my back and ignoring him he soon helped!!!

2)Grey is very vocal when he wants the attention and to play or get out of his crate or to let me know he wants to go outside to go loo.

3)Grey's recall is very good which means he can be let off lead in closed off areas and come back when called.

4)Grey is a big scrounge and likes to worktop surf food hunting when he thinks no one is about or looking :rolleyes:

5)Grey is a great ascape artist when he want to be.

6) Grey will sit and give all paws & Kisses in hope of a treat.

WORKING, SHOWING OR BRREDING>

Rehomed grey at 7 months (will be 1 year end of this month) and he is not KC Reg but came with a five generation ped cert but means no difference to me as I wasnt looking to work, show or Breed him he is just pure family pet.

PLAYING/ FUN TIME>

Grey love to play and has a way about him in telling you he want to play and is going to play weither you like it or not!!! His fav toys are: Rubber chicken, Tug of war rope, My sons toys, Tennis balls (more so other dogs tennis balls) Plastic bottles and LOVES shoes!!!!! Grey also loves to dig and play in water & sand. Grey is very funny around pups and will either love or hate them but let you know with in seconds.

OTHER>

1)Grey loves my two year old to death and all tho it is a fact that Siberian Huskies dont make good guard Dogs Grey is very clingy to my him and goes mad if he see him upset or hurt.

2) Grey has killed so far to date : 1 Bird, 1 Rabbit and 1 Spider.

3) Grey has his eye on my pet Rat Pickles..........YUM YUM he thinks but will never leave them alone.

4) Grey has many friends and has just made friends with a deaf Dog he met the other day.

5) Grey hates bath time he will run and hide and sulks has he has his hair washed.

6) Grey will store & hide treats away for later.

7) Grey will push for pack leader role and always has to walk in front of the buggy.

8) Grey is crate trained.

9) Grey is a little sod for drinking the toilet water!!

There is some info on Grey hope I have been some help. thought I had better stop cause the list goes on............ LOL :rolleyes::D

This will be an interesting topic for your project! Obviously, a lot of stuff will be included in other peoples' posts as they are common to huskies, so I'll try & add other stuff to the above lists!

Health / grooming - Sibes only need bathing 4-5 times a year as they tend to self clean (like a cat) - that's if you can get one in the bath at all! Have a look in the Sept husky of the month thread for pics of not-so-happy huskies getting a bath! I brush mine about once a week, but Diesel is blowing his coat, so it's about twice a day at the minute for him, he loves it.

Diets - My two eat dry kibble mixed with tuna or sardines in sunflower oil (oil good for the coats) or raw mince or some kind of raw meat or chicken wings - I try to alternate the meats & fish as they get fussy with the same thing daily.

Training - I have always trained Myshka with voice & hand commands, if I say "Stay" she sees the palm of my hand to enforce the command. Diesel is picking this up quickly too, copying whatever Myshka does when I give a command, he'll glance over at her to see what he needs to do.

Play - Huskies like to play rough & usually will try to bite ears & the side of the neck of the other dog. They also box with each other (I have a pic of Myshka doing this in my pics, feel free to use any pics there). They growl & make strange noises that can be mistaken for aggression & that is where people get the wrong impression of huskies.

Common traits - huskies are stubborn, decide when they will listen to you & when they'll ignore you, if there's something in it for them, they are all ears! They are also very clever & quick learners. Huskies like to be high up (again, in my pics, there's a photo of Myshka on our shed roof!). Huskies are people dogs, they are often used for Hug A Husky events for fundraisers (again, Diesel, my red, being strangled by a toddler in the Warrington fun day pics!) Huskies can be quite sly - Steve was eating his tea watching TV one night, had 3 rounds of bread, ate 2 during his meal & when he looked down, the 3rd had gone. He said "I don't remember eating that last one" when we looked up the other end of the lounge to see the last crumbs being hoovered up by Myshka & her licking her lips!

Erm .... that's all I can think of for now ... if I think of more, I'll post up!!

Ive only had Tala for nearly 7 weeks so the things I put may change lol

common personality/behavioural traits - Tala is a digger lol We have a lovely hole that appears each day that we cover each night, She hates the stair gate we have and often tries to jump over it, tries to push it if the handle hasn't being pressed down (This results in her getting through and making a mad dash through the house) and we have even caught her standing against the gate trying to push the handle up with her nose...

She likes to jump - She jumps at the tree with have in the backgarden, grabs a branch and dangles from it in an attempt to get it off lol She tries to copy the cat and tries to jump on the patio table - which I might add she will be able to get on shortly.

She doesn't howl much at the moment - she only does when being bathed or when she is protesting against something lol I don't worry about her killing the cat (mainly because she is so young but because the cat owns her lol) she just takes her toys to the cat in the hope that she will play with her (Theres pics in my album of this lol feel free to use them if you want).

health & grooming

I groom her once a week at the moment with the furminator (Best invention ever compared to other groming tools in my book :) )

Diets

Tala is on a dry puppy kibble - The wet food didn't agree with her so she is on a food that is good for puppies with sensitive tums.

training

I use my voice and hand signals which work a treat (lol with the use of training treats which of course help the learning process as she is very food orientated) - shes picked them up very quickly though I am taking her to a puppy class which begins in oct.

Hope this helps.

noooooo huskies do this??? try telling my boys that lol you blink and miss it LOL

:D No sarah babe not little treats he will eat them in seconds but the ckeeky git trys to bring is bones in from outside :eek: and I even caught him trying to dig up the carpet in the corner behind the living room door to hide his bones aswel :rolleyes: Gre is a very busy boy when he has his bones.

one thing you might like to include, which not many people are aware of, but huskies (at least my two) love raw carrots!..as regadrs thier diet, we do pretty much what the other barf feeders on here do, and if they get upset tummys i give them bioled rice with boiled chicked....works overnight...

one thing you might like to include, which not many people are aware of, but huskies (at least my two) love raw carrots!..as regadrs thier diet, we do pretty much what the other barf feeders on here do, and if they get upset tummys i give them bioled rice with boiled chicked....works overnight...

LOL..... My Grey is a fuss pot he turns his nose up at fruit and raw veg but will eat cooked veg tho. He is such a snob!!

ok as promist here's some pics

Diet>

Odin will only eat kibble and fish, he does like carrots, ounions, lol and pepers i know strange but thats him

100_6013_800x600_.JPG 100_6029_800x600_.JPG 100_6028_800x600_.JPG

as you can see he can be a very lazy eater lol

Topaz well she's our dustbin she will eat any thing she can, she's on a barf diet she loves raw

100_6035_800x600_.JPG 100_6019_800x600_.JPG

Grooming >

Odin as a very thick coat so i tent to brush him every other day (if i can get him to stand still) Topaz 3 or 3 times a week she's not to bad and will stand for me but none of them will let me do their back legs or tummy.

Photo008_800x600_.jpg Photo004_800x600_.jpg Photo004_800x600_.jpg Photo004_800x600_.jpg

Training >

Odin is great my only problem with him is pulling on lead, we are trying but it's just him

Photo042_1024x768_800x600_.jpg

as you can see Dave is almost running lol

Topaz is a thief if she knows theres food any where she will get it

100_5931_1024x768_.JPG 100_5930_1024x768_.JPG

Working, Showing or Breeding >

NOOOO Odin i got at 8 weeks old no papers all thought his parents do have them he was not registered he is 18 month now, Topaz we got 3 month ago she is a rehome and is 21/2 so no papers but we dont plan on working, showing or breeding they are my babies lol.

Playing >

they both love football and tug of war, Odin will now fetch his toys when asked but only in the garden, he's very good at shairing but Topaz no way they are all her's.

Photo056_1024x768_.jpg

she loves to dig more so than Odin so we gave them their own patch

100_5935_1024x768_.JPG 100_5934_1024x768_.JPG 100_5932_1024x768_.JPG

they love water

Photo045_1024x768_800x600_.jpg Photo038_1024x768_800x600_.jpg Photo039_1024x768_1024x768_800x600_.jpg

Photo015_1024x768_.jpg

very they get along with most dogs mostley off lead which they do get in a secure place we take them

Family >

lol i dout we could split these two up now if we wanted to they are glued together

100_5875_1024x768_.JPG 100_5894.JPG

Sociable >

the two boys you see them with are sarah's and this is the first time they have met each other

100_5984_800x600_.JPG 100_5987_800x600_.JPG 100_5979_800x600_.JPG 100_5967_800x600_.JPG

Biteing an Nipping >

never had this problem with Topaz as she was older when we got her, Odin did go through this stage as he grew but i just placed my hand to the back of his mouth, he as since stoped this now

100_5733.JPG

Distructive >

no never had a problen ever i guess i am just lucky but i also know that can change. The only things he as ever destroyed are his own toys they dont tend to last long

100_5767.JPG

Play fighting >

is the fav past time lol

101_5945_1024x768_1024x768_.JPG

Crate Training >

I'm working on it Odin's not to bad but Topaz is very vocal and does not like

100_5961_800x600_.JPG 100_5962_800x600_.JPG

i did show them it's ok lol

MVC-006S1.JPG

Walking with others >

well as you can see they will and sarah stayed on her feet god knows how lol

100_5994_800x600_.JPG 100_5992_800x600_.JPG 100_5990_800x600_.JPG 100_5989_800x600_.JPG 100_5988_800x600_.JPG

New pack member >

this is Thor and this is when he met my two as you can see they welcomed him with open paws and he joins us next sat yepeeee

100_6047_800x600_.JPG 100_6041_800x600_.JPG 100_6042_800x600_.JPG 100_6050_800x600_.JPG

lol sorry i got a lil carried away but any thing els you need let me know xxxx

Heya Sid,

Was just wondering what course your on, I'm in my second year of a 2 year diploma in Animal management at Brackenhurst Nottingham and have been set a very similar task by the sounds of it...

I have also chosen huskies, I'm going to do a bit on the breed, basic training and behavior along with a history of mushing. I'm going to try to get to some proper races and take pics and vids.

Maybe we can try to help eachother out abit and swap info?

I've started a husky diary for my girl to add to my project, so if you want to read and use any of it your welcome? Its basically details of every day since Iv had her from 8 weeks old up till now (shes now 15weeks) and I'm going to continue it till I hand in my project early next year.

It has notes on everything from food, basic training methods were using, things shes learned to do by herself, everything really!

Let me know if any of that sounds good!

Heya Sid,

Was just wondering what course your on, I'm in my second year of a 2 year diploma in Animal management at Brackenhurst Nottingham and have been set a very similar task by the sounds of it...

I have also chosen huskies, I'm going to do a bit on the breed, basic training and behavior along with a history of mushing. I'm going to try to get to some proper races and take pics and vids.

Maybe we can try to help eachother out abit and swap info?

I've started a husky diary for my girl to add to my project, so if you want to read and use any of it your welcome? Its basically details of every day since Iv had her from 8 weeks old up till now (shes now 15weeks) and I'm going to continue it till I hand in my project early next year.

It has notes on everything from food, basic training methods were using, things shes learned to do by herself, everything really!

Let me know if any of that sounds good!

omg exactly the same as me, except im at otley in suffolk and that sounds great thanks, im sure i can help you out aswell, i never thought of a diary tho

well, if anyone not on the course can help you out, I'm sure we all will - just ask if you want some specific behaviour or something covering! Then we'll know what you're looking for & post away!! BTW, that goes for both of you, you have my permission to use any pics of mine in the gallery, xx