crate/cage Training

beaker

Hi We pick little Storm up in 5 weeks time will be 10 weeks old when he arrives at ours

and have been told that cage/crate training is the best .. i have neve used this method

has anyone got any tips links Write ups to help us from day one ?

thanx in advance

a very happy prospective owner :D

Here are a few tips:

1) never use the crate as punishment

2) use positive things such as his meals, toys, etc so he associates the crate as something positive

3) If you have other dogs/pets in the house try to keep them out of his crate so it becomes his personal area

This thread has some realy good tips on how to make them feel comfortable in the crate :)http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3221

We got Myshka at 10 weeks, she was straight from her litter box at the breeders to a crate at ours. She cried the 1st night so we kept coming down & comforting her, then we had no further trouble off her. She loves her 'bed', it's her place to get out of the way! Her food & water is in there, it's her own space.

If you have got a small blanket, ask the breeder if she will put it with the pups or mother, to get the smell on it, then when you collect her at 10 weeks, keep her blanket with her to comfort her & it should help her settle in the crate

http://www.dogstuff.info/crate_training_schedule_riley.html

is this a good shedule ??

As Storm will have access to the whole kitchen with a Stair gate attached to the kitchen door .. is it best to close cage door And only have access to cage or open cage door and have access to cage and kitchen ?

like the blanket idea will do that

cheers

beaker

I aggree, i'd crate when left alone, not only to stop pup from being destructive and toileting in places but also for their own safety - if they jump up somewhere and fall off they could injure themselves and make the injury worse because they're on their own

Yeah, I agree with Amy & Sarah, pups will be destructive for quite a few months (!) so it will preserve your home, but also pups are very inquisitive (OK, downright nosey!) & will get into places you wouldn't dream they could, so from a safety point of view, when alone in the house, close the door, the pup can do no mischief to itself or your home in there!

When you are home, always leave the cage door open, they will soon realise this is their 'safe' place where they can get away from it all & will often walk in & curl up in there for a nap.

Hi ya thank you loads for all the input so much to take in about this crate training lark lol.

you say leave crate door open when you are in house but most of the books articles etc have read say confine to Crate whilst training in their schedules is that correct ?

beaker

I can only comment on how we trained Myshka - if we were in the house, the crate door was always open, we would feed her in her crate, her water was / is in there, we gave her treats & told her to eat them in her 'bed' - the crate door was only locked when we were out or overnight. She knew straight away that it was her space, we wouldn't go in there & disturb her, so she knew it to be a happy, positive, peaceful place from when she joined us.

Some people try closing the crate door for 5 mins & leaving the room, then returning to the pup, so the pup knows it will always have someone return. Then gradually, leave the pup for 10 mins, then 15 mins, until your pup has learnt the crate is not a negative, restraining thing, it trains the pup to settle down & someone will come back. I guess we were just ultra-lucky that Myshka took to her crate straight away.

IMO - no way! I'd not be crating a pup for hours on end. That article basically suggests crating a pup from 12pm to 5pm, I've not yet met a baby puppy that can old it's bladder for five hours.

There is NO need to crate a puppy for that long, all up on a schedule like that the pup would be spending the vast majority of it's day in crate :(

I am all for crate training but crating a pup for that much of the day is totally unnecessary IMO. When we aren't home our animals are put outside (in our secure backyard).

I totally believe in crate training a pup over night so you can take them out to toilet - but I wouldn't leave them in there all day. I build up a pup's ability to stay in his crate gradually - I start with getting the pup to go in there without closing the door, closing the door for a few seconds then closing the door for a couple of minutes and so on and only letting the pup out when they are quiet. You can then build the time from a few minutes to a couple of hours.

Wellllll (lol) the crate must be a heaven for your dog not a tool in which is used when he is bad..never use it as a punishment. When he comes to you he will be very small, whether hes been paper trained on trained to pee on the grass outside he will associate soft things under him as items he can pee on as they will absorb it like the puppy pee pads or grass does. Alaska made this mistake when i put pillows in her crate, SO do not fill the base with something soft..for now!

To make him feel at home:

- Cover the crate in a blanky so its dark and warm in there

- put in a fav teddy or chew toy

- put in a smally puppy blanket

- and maybe something that smells of you like a t-shirt

- even put in a treat

To make him associate the crate with good things:

-Feed him in there

-Give him treats in there

-If you buy him a new toy, give it to him when hes in there

When he 1st comes home have it all set up..for the 1st few days do not close the door, let him infestigate, dont try and encourage him ..just leave him to do it on his own!!! Best thing to do is treat him each time he sniffs it, when he goes inside it..so he knows the crate comes with food lol

When you think he likes the crate close the door for about 10 secs, then open it again, do this several times throughout the day....then as he gets used to it more, close the door and go and get a drink..come back and open it again >> dont talk or even look at him..show him closing the door is no big deal.

Only close the door when:

- Hes been to pee

- After hes been stimulated..so maybe play with him 1st to tire him out

Im not saying he wont whine and there will be times you will have to ignore him no matter how many hours he whines, there may be times when he pees or poos in protest and you will have to take him out >> put him on his pee pad, clean up the mess and put him right back in >> no matter what he throws at you >> you mustn't give in.

Saying that if you go about the training with a bit of tact he may warm to him quickly. Good luck and keep us updated:)

ok schedule time ... bits picked up from reading etc .. never knew was so much to read

is this too strict as i am thinking so ?:ran_frown::icon5::banghead:

thoughts

Storm’s Day

6.30ish Downstairs, clean up – let Storm outside into garden – play for 10 mins if you have time.

7.00 Put Storm’s bowl with water in crate (remove toys & Shut Crate door), let Storm have a drink while measure food out then put food in bowl (close backdoor first, food down for 15 mins).

7.30 Open back door and let Storm out of crate for the toilet, check and clean up garden if required.

8.00 Remove Food bowl, put toys and t-shirt back in Crate then Crate Confinement time for Storm.

11.30-12.00 Open crate door and let Storm into the garden, check and clean up if required – Put Storm’s bowl with water in crate (remove toys & Shut Crate door),, let Storm have a drink while measure food out then put food in bowl (close back door first, food down for 15 mins)

12.30 Open backdoor and let Storm out of crate– give him 5 mins to go Toilet then clean up if required – play for as long as you can, get lots of exercise

1.00pm Remove Food bowl, put toys back in Crate then Crate Confinement time for Storm.

4.00pm Open crate door and let Storm into the garden, check and clean up if required – Put Storm’s bowl with water in crate (remove toys & Shut Crate door),, let Storm have a drink while measure food out then put food in bowl (close back door first) – Let Storm stay in Kitchen for a few hours NOT in his crate, he needs to stretch his legs a bit Playtime !! (food down for 15 mins)

6.30 – 7pm Put Storm in his crate while you have tea – leave him in till next pee break.

8.00pm Let Storm into back garden to go to the Toilet – NO PLAYING. Bring him back in and give him a drink of water. Put Storm back in his crate.

Bedtime Let Storm out into the back garden again – NO PLAYING. Leave Storm in Kitchen or crate set alarm 3am (baby monitors ?) , make sure all toys are within reach, floor mat has been put away – then bed!!!

Adjust Accordingly on a progressive basis with good behaviour rewards

or just go with the flow lol

i hope he can read the schedule........

LOL

That's quite a schedule you have there! I can't help on this one as I adopted an adult husky and have not had a puppy. In my honest opinion, it's great to plan, however it'll probably go out the window when you get Storm home and you'll soon adjust to daily life and a natural routine.

Bet you can't wait!:D